looking for new sides ideas...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Well, since Im on vacation this week, I figured Id do a family dinner Sunday. Gonna do a brisket. Im looking for something new to serve with it, Im tired of the standard slaw/twice baked/beans sides. I know we have a bunch of new folks here. Lets hear some fresh ideas !

And Im too dang lazy to sift through the sides section here again, so lets not even go there !

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southwestern Succotash

Recipe By :n/a
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side Dish Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 bag frozen lima beans - (16 oz)
1 bag frozen sweet white corn - (16 oz)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 onion -- chopped
2 red bell peppers -- chopped
2 poblano chilies -- seeded, chopped
4 garlic cloves -- minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 can low-salt chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz)
1/2 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste

Cook lima beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in white corn. Drain well.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes.

Add bell peppers, chilies, garlic, and oregano; sauté until peppers are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in lima beans and corn, then broth and cream. Simmer until vegetables are tender and coated with cream, about 20 minutes.

Stir in 1/3 cup cilantro. Season succotash to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Stir over medium heat to rewarm.)

Transfer succotash to serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup cilantro.

Look up Susan Chupp's Sphagetti Salad in the recipe section. That be the cats meow. Cheap too. It has MSG so it aint applicable to any girly men who get imaginary headaches or menstrual cramps from MSG. A billion chinamen eat several tons of it each year and they aint dead yet.

k... So far Im looking at making a bruschetta with the corn confetti slaw thing as an app, and the spaghetti salad with dinner. I think I may even try my hand at home made weck rolls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom