Looking for a good Texas chili recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Hey y'all,

I've been charged with making a big ol batch of chili for a cookoff my wife's company is going to be a part of. I've never made chili before! Yes, I am ashamed! I need help! Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks,

Bigwheel's Januine Large Batch Chili (Rev 10/31/08)

7 lbs ground chuck
2 lbs Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1/2 cup Crisco
1 28 oz. can of Hot Mexican Tomater sauce (Kroger's brand is good)
4 T. Granulated onyawns
4 T. Granulated Garlic
2 T. Terlingua Won
1 T. Texas Red Dawg
3 T. Foat Wuth Light
3 T. Rio Tejas
3 T. San Antone Red
6 T. Collen Wallace
1 T. chicken base
4 T. Cumin
2 1/2 t. Lawrys Seasoned Salt
1 t. Cayenne
1/2 t. black peppa
1 T. brown suar
2 packets Goya Sazon (or 2 t. MSG)
beef broth mixed with a little black coffee (enough to cover meat by 2 inches)

Mix up the sausage and ground chuck as if you was making a meat loaf. Wet your hands and form the ground meat in giant meatballs weighing about 1.5 lbs each. Preheat a "big" stew pot and brown up the meatballs in the Crisco. Brown the meat balls on all sides treating them gently. Break them half in two with a large metal spoon and continue to cook with the raw meat side down. Cut them into quarters and continueth to brown. When the meat loses its red color drain off all the grease and add the tomater sauce, beef broth and all the spices and chili powders except the cumin and MSG. Cook gently with a lid and or without till the right consistentcy has been achieved continuing to break up the meat balls with the metal spoon till it resembles chili. Add the cumin..Sazon and brown sugar last and cook about another twenty mins. If you get it too thick you can add some water. If it too thin cook with the lid off for a while. If you aint got no fancy chili powder like I got..make do with whut you have. Put the Mexene in early and the Gebhardts late..or maybe it is vice versa:) I like about 2 T. chili/chile powder per pound of meat on most occasions. Check the salt and heat content all along the way. Adding cayenne if you want it hotter and Lawrys Seasoning Salt if it aint salty enough. Best way to serve it is go to Sams and buy a case or two of individual sized bags of Fritoes. Open the top of the Frito bags and add chili...shredded cheese and chopped onyawns if desired. Hand them a plastic spoon and a paper towel or two. Simple huh?

bigwheel

Dave's "Dog Breath" Chili

2 lbs Ground Beef

1 lb Bulk Sausage (Italian or Sage) (Pork or Venison)

2 Large Yellow Onions, chopped

2 Bell peppers, chopped (red, yellow or green or mix, I prefer 1 red & 1 yellow)

2 tablespoons minced garlic (3-4 cloves)

¼ cup corn flour

4 tablespoons Chili Powder

3 teaspoons each: ground cumin, basil leaves, oregano

1 teaspoon each: Cavenders, Pig Powder, red pepper

3 28 ounce cans Italian style crushed tomatoes, drain ½ of the liquid out

4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 cup coffee

1 12 ounce can of beer

2 teaspoons Louisiana hot sauce

1 15 ½ ounce can each: red kidney or chili beans, garbanzo beans, black beans

sliced olives, sliced banana pepper rings, tortilla chips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Sautee over medium heat beef, sausage, onions, bell peppers and garlic about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender; drain off fat. Stir in flour, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, Cavenders, Pig Powder and red pepper, cook a couple minutes, careful not to burn. Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon or fork as adding, stir in Worcestershire, coffee, beer and hot sauce; cover, simmer on medium-low heat for approx. an hour, stir occasionally add water or beer as necessary. Add more red pepper or hot sauce to taste (remember that hot sauce and red peppers will increase the overall heat of the chili gradually not instantly). Stir in beans, continue cooking until beans are heated thoroughly, add olives and stir. Put crushed tortilla chips in bowl, ladle chili over chips, put sliced banana peppers and shredded cheese on top. Serve with cornbread on the side and a frosted mug of cold beer

Well when it come to chili anybody who got a recipe which calls for beer aint a serious contender. Sorry..its a dead giveaway. Now as everybody knows I love yankees. Just dont listen to em when it comes to chili. Takes a Texan if you get my drift wink wink:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well when it come to chili anybody who got a recipe which calls for beer aint a serious contender. Sorry..its a dead giveaway. Now as everybody knows I love yankees. Just dont listen to em when it comes to chili. Takes a Texan if you get my drift wink wink:)

bigwheel

Yup.

I borrowed both of the recipes for my friend at the refineries. He is entering a chili cook off there.. Love2<º((((><, did you make them yet?

bigwheel said:

bigwheel
That's ok Jeff. It was good enough for second place at Oinktoberfest and 200 bucks! ;) :LOL: I gave the trophy to my pal Dave (who came up with the recipe) and stuck the 200 in my pocket. :LOL:

Well that was mighty nice of ya to divvy up the booty like that..and a hearty congrats on the fine showing. I aint one to argue with success. The way I understood the problemo was wanting a big bunch of chili for a large crowd. That recipe I posted was designed to fit the bill without sending the maker to the poor house. It wasn't actually intended as a comp entry. I just put all them fancy chili powders in there cuz I had em on hand.

bigwheel

I might would like to try your recipe BW. Do you have a sub for some of the ingredients. Not sure If I can find Foat Wuth Light or Texas Red Dawg here in AR.

Yeppers a combo of light and dark powders should work well. Gebhardts is usally considred light..Mexene brand is normally counted as dark. McCormick which Sams peddles is dark. Bolners Fiesta brand has a fair light version. They often have a little section in the Mexican Ailse at Kroger and Albertsons. Or it wouldnt hurt to use just one kind. Just ration out whatever you get at about 2 Tablespoons per pound of meat. Bolners also has a fair version of cumin.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom