L.P. Q BBQ Championship - $75,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Is this a sign that the apocalypse is upon us? The KCBS sanctioning a gas contest? Don't know whether it's a hoax or not but they are having heated discussions about it over on Basso's site.

What do you think, should the KCBS be sanctioning GAS contests?

I'm calling for a non-binding resolultion against it! :D

KCBS officates contests, there is a Masters division, wood charcoal as you know it and there is a Competitor division. The Competitor division is about officating contests other than Master division.

Silly, me I thought the B in KCBS stood for BBQ. Now I know it stands for BS. It's a shame they sold out so cheaply.

If this goes through you can tear up my membership card for me or better yet burn it in a gasser! :twisted:

Kloset BBQR said:
Silly, me I thought the B in KCBS stood for BBQ. Now I now it stands for BS. It's a shame they sold out so cheaply.

If this goes through you can tear up my membership card for me or better yet burn it in a gasser! :twisted:
[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

you scared you'll get beat by a gasser?
I say let em in..if you can beat me with a
gas cooker, you're a better q'er than me.

...and they all rage on as they plug their pellet pooper in, or make sure the the rotisserie is working properly, then they connect their Stoker to their wireless network so they can chart their temps on their notebook computer while they sleep through the night. I think it's funny.

Captain Morgan said:
[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

First let my say we compete on a Klose, that said I find it funny that traditionalist are outraged cause they cook bbq the real way.

Offsets, just how far back can you go and find no offsets, not far in history of American BBQ. You want to call yourselves traditionalist but I can introduce you to cooks that will be happy to let you know there is nothing traditional about cooking on them.

There is room for competition as we know them and allow someone hold another style of contest. It's not the end of BBQ as we know it. Any of you remeber when the scoring system was changed. I was told by cooks that competition BBQ was going to become history. KCBS will do 35 to 40 more contest this season than last. The biggest growth a contest in history have been since the judging change.

Bruce B said:
...and they all rage on as they plug their pellet pooper in, or make sure the the rotisserie is working properly, then they connect their Stoker to their wireless network so they can chart their temps on their notebook computer while they sleep through the night. I think it's funny.

DITTO!!!!

Well at least we know the price tag that you guys are willing to sell out BBQ for.

Does anyone even here know the definition of BBQ? I'll give you a hint. It involves cooking with wood as a heat source.

And no I'm not afraid of competing with gassers. But if any of you had read the discussion you would see that the gassers are eliminating those that cook with wood. Now I don't have a problem with that either it they want to cook in their own contest but I do have a problem with the KCBS endorsing this as a BBQ contest

The KCBS's mission is to preserve the heritage of BBQ in order to pass it on to future generations. What a total disappointment of an organization.
The BOD are totally selling out BBQ if this goes through. I'm just sorry that I recently renewed my membership. At least I'll get to vote against next year who ever votes for this abomination.

Captain Morgan said:

Read my post Cappy. It's not about letting them in. Quite the contrary they want to exclude you and still be called BBQ. I believe the opposite is true. They want to exclude us!

Bruce B said:

As usual Bruce you totally miss the point!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Bruce B":3nr1rrz6]...and they all rage on as they plug their pellet pooper in, or make sure the the rotisserie is working properly, then they connect their Stoker to their wireless network so they can chart their temps on their notebook computer while they sleep through the night. I think it's funny.

DITTO!!!![/quote:3nr1rrz6]

I find it humerous that all you guys that bash gassers are now defending this as BBQ!

jminion said:
First let my say we compete on a Klose, that said I find it funny that traditionalist are outraged cause they cook bbq the real way.

Offsets, just how far back can you go and find no offsets, not far in history of American BBQ. You want to call yourselves traditionalist but I can introduce you to cooks that will be happy to let you know there is nothing traditional about cooking on them.

There is room for competition as we know them and allow someone hold another style of contest. It's not the end of BBQ as we know it. Any of you remeber when the scoring system was changed. I was told by cooks that competition BBQ was going to become history. KCBS will do 35 to 40 more contest this season than last. The biggest growth a contest in history have been since the judging change.

Jim, I've seen you make this argument before with different type of BBQ equipment and I would agree with you. But when you start to call something Q that doesn't meet the definition of Q, I have a problem with that. Let me ask you a question. If gass cookers should be sanctioned by the KCBS then why shouldn't they be able to cook in the same competition as wood burners? I think that the KCBS here is the one being inconsisitent in their argument. If Gas is Q, then let them compete with us. But once you agree that gas is Q, I think you've just let down the mission that the organization was founded on. So as I see it you've got two options. Either let gassers compete in all sanctioned KCBS contests or not. But if you do, then the mission of the KCBS needs to be rewritten. And that would be a sad day indeed.

Greg, I think you might need to have Patrick add a propane tank to the offset in your logo. Get with the times man! :D

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":ze3688dc][quote="Bruce B":ze3688dc]...and they all rage on as they plug their pellet pooper in, or make sure the the rotisserie is working properly, then they connect their Stoker to their wireless network so they can chart their temps on their notebook computer while they sleep through the night. I think it's funny.

DITTO!!!![/quote:ze3688dc]

I find it humerous that all you guys that bash gassers are now defending this as BBQ![/quote:ze3688dc]

Maybe I misunderstood Bruce's post! I'm not defending gassers at all, I thought Bruce was laughing at all the technology people are using to make BBQ (ie, auto feed pellet cookers, rotisseries, temp control devices, gassers etc). Not that there's anything wrong with using these things for Home cooks, but in comps just seems to take the "Competition" factor out as far as I'm concerned.

Everything that Bruce mentioned is perfectly legal for KCBS comps Larry.
If anyone wants to complain about those devices take it up with KCBS or they would be perfectly in their rights to buy any of those devices themselves. Now if anyone could explain to me how to hook up my stoker to my laptop I'd appreciate it! :D

Just one more request from the KCBS please. If you allow gas, could you please consider oil also? I mean we are trying to be inclusive here aren't we and it would really help me get my chicken skin crisp. :D

Kloset BBQR said:
Everything that Bruce mentioned is perfectly legal for KCBS comps Larry.
If anyone wants to complain about those devices take it up with KCBS or they would be perfectly in their rights to buy any of those devices themselves. Now if anyone could explain to me how to hook up my stoker to my laptop I'd appreciate it! :D

Where in my post did I say they were illegal?? [smilie=a_whyme.gif] Dallas you're bitching about KCBS sanctioning gas comps and I'm bitching about using using automated devices, two of which you have "a rotisserie and a stoker" (probably more with your ever growing collection [smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]) and you're taking offense. Now you know how the guys that want to cook with gas feel. I'm just voicing my opinion just like you and I just don't think personally, any kind of automated device/cooker or gas should be allowed in BBQ Competitions. This is just my opinion, I voted and I have a right to speak!! [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom