Knife sharpener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick, I can't remember what you have for blades, but ....

In my opinion.... Don't bother trying to sharpen them yourself. Even with the best "gadget", If you don't have the base skill ... you WILL ruin the edge. It's something that's best left to the masters. It's money well spent.

These are your "Tools".

I have a set of Member's Mark ~ Haven't had to use it yet but they come with free lifetime sharpening :(

The Chefs Choice electric got great reviews. I then found a Chefs Choice Diamond Hone 100 deluxe Model (Chrome Plated) on closeout at Target for $30.00 it works great. I use it about once every two months and just steel the blades in-between. It takes a little practice but that diamond-plated sucker could sharpen a Cast Iron Jackass. It has a sharpener on one side and a strop on the other. I use Dexter Russell Sani Safe knives with the white handles. Great knives, light, high carbon steel, and very affordable to boot. They are standard in many food service establishments. Check the Chefs Choice out here.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/60 ... B00005QEZR

GlennR said:
I haven't done it yet but a chef friend of mine takes his knives to Chespeake Knife and tool at the mall and gets them sharpened for $3 a blade.

Glenn, do they do it there in store or send them out?

-Rob

I am with Scott on this one... I bought a Wusthof Santoku a few couple years back, before Rachael Ray killed it. I paid too much to mess it up myself. I drive 20 miles into Solvang to have some guy at a knife shop sharpen it. Sometimes he charges and sometimes, if I batt my eyelashes, he'll sharpen for free. I know it gets done right and it's very sharp. Plus I'll eat ableskievers while I wait.

I use a Spyderco knife sharpener all the time. In a few minutes you can take a dull knife and sharpen it to shaving sharp. It's small and I carry it in my cooking bin to every contest or event. I bought sharpeners for all my teammates for Christmas.

Rich Decker

www.spyderco.com

TexLaw said:
I use Lansky sharpeners because they have very good angle guides, so I have a nice, even edge. They also are fairly easy to use. Because Lansky is a completely manual operation, it's also very safe but does take some time.

If I don't want to screw around with the manual deal, I take my knives to Central Market and have them sharpened for $.50/inch.

TL

I just ordered one of there sets. They have quite a few to chose from, but I ordered the LKCLX. Found it online for $28. When it gets here I'll try it out on some of my older knifes before I try it on my good ones. Thanks for the info TL.

Back
Top Bottom