Knife question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
I've decided to buy a new knife today for the purpose of cutting ribs. Anyone have a favorite? I seen guys cut ribs with anything from a pearing knife to a meat cleaver. I just want nice clean cuts...

Thanks in advance

Dats, after seeing the 14" forschner work well at new holland I ordered one for myself and it works great. might even be worth a trip into the city to one of the commercial sharpening places. Restaraunts bring in knives by the hundreds and many times before they pick back up, they have gone under or cant pay their bills. Dad spent a few minutes talking the guys near him and they sell him the ones that arent picked up for pennies on the dollar.

It'll be used for ribs mostly, but I like the idea of Brisket also. Right now I has a mismush collection of knives, most of them dull and cheap to begin with. I'd leave that collection to everyday kitchen use and keep the knife with my Q tools.

9" Forschner Chef Knife is whut I normally wind up using. Think the pros is it nice and heavy which allows you more of a straight down shearing and rocking motion as opposed to the back and forth sawing motion which I think is mostly whut gives them a jagged appearance and comes with the territory in trying to use a typical slicing knife. In theory a long bladed scimitar should also work good..but the one I have dont have enough weight on the blade. It puts the entire burden on the wrist and gives a person corporal tunnell syndrome purty quick.

bigwheel

If you wanna look into getting a set of knives, check out Amazon. They have some pretty good deals. I happened to get two 8 piece Wustof sets with the block 2 Christmas ago for $125.00!!

brian j said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":280qvi45]If you wanna look into getting a set of knives, check out Amazon. They have some pretty good deals. I happened to get two 8 piece Wustof sets with the block 2 Christmas ago for $125.00!!
dang, that is a great price since most wustof's alone cost close to $125.

wustof's are outstanding knives, personally i like them better than henkels, but for the price you can't beat forschner.[/quote:280qvi45]

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but a guy at the "Chesapeake Knife and Tool Co." told me that Wustof and Henkels are made at the same company. In either case, I love my knives, best knives I've ever owned.

The problem with Henckels is that there are two Henckels companies. Their logos are similar, they are made in the same city, etc. People don't understand / realize that they aren't the same.
The good/better one's logo has the two people (twin) one it, the cheaper, leaser quality one only has one person on the logo.

You see a lot more of the lesser quality Henckels lines in discount stores than you do Wustof so people assume that they aren't as good of knives. (and those aren't) And of course in the past few years companies have paid people to use their products on TV so you assume that they are the best because (fill in the blank) uses them. Not always the case.

Finney said:
The problem with Henckels is that there are two Henckels companies. Their logos are similar, they are made in the same city, etc. People don't understand / realize that they aren't the same.
The good/better one's logo has the two people (twin) one it, the cheaper, leaser quality one only has one person on the logo.

You see a lot more of the lesser quality Henckels lines in discount stores than you do Wustof so people assume that they aren't as good of knives. (and those aren't) And of course in the past few years companies have paid people to use their products on TV so you assume that they are the best because (fill in the blank) uses them. Not always the case.

Good point/info there Finney!!

For contest cooking I use an electric knife for ribs, brisket and pork (when I used to add slices). Quick, clean slices. When I cater I use a 18" Fostner graten edge scimitar. I don't use this knife to slice the ribs, I turn them upside down and rock the knife through them. It's an easy to separate ribs fast.

Well,
The knife shopping drip didn't work out like I hoped. I could sense a whole lot of resistance to the idea of spending $60 - $70 on a decent knife. To that end I settled for a $20 Kitchen Aid Santuko 7".

Next trip out by myself..... .

DATsBBQ said:
Well,
The knife shopping drip didn't work out like I hoped. I could sense a whole lot of resistance to the idea of spending $60 - $70 on a decent knife. To that end I settled for a $20 Kitchen Aid Santuko 7".

Next trip out by myself..... .
Now I know you are smater than taking your wife shopping with you for a knive?.... :D Bettter luck next time...let us know how the Kitchen Aid one works out for you...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom