Ken Burns' The War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
anyone watch this? I know it was 15 hours, I recorded it..just finished watching the final episode. Not as good as Baseball and Jazz, but still
excellent. I found the song by Norah Jones to be stunning, and I can't stop listening to it.

I hope this link works to listen to it...

http://www.musicremedy.com/audio/index. ... &Quality=6

Lyrics

"All we've been given, by those who came before,
The dream of a nation, where freedom would endure.
The work and prayers of centuries, have brought us to this day.
What shall be our legacy, what will our children say?
Let them say of me, I was one who believed in sharing the blessings, I received.
Let me know in my heart, when my days are through,
America, America, I gave my best to you.

Each generation from the plains to distant shores.
With the gifts they were given, were determined to leave more.
Battles fought together, acts of conscience fought alone.
These are the seeds, from which America has grown.
Let them say of me, I was one who believed in sharing the blessings, I received.
Let me know in my heart, when my days are through.

For those who think they have nothing to share,
Who feel in their hearts there is no hero there,
Know each quiet act of dignity is that which fortifies,
The soul of a nation, that will never die.
Let me know in my heart, when my days are through,
America..............., I gave my best to you........."

Thanks, vets.

Yep, I watched every episode. I think Tom Brokaw was correct when he titled his WWII book "The Greatest Generation." Unfortunately, there are not many WWII vets left. Thanks to all.

I've got a Japanese flag and helmut my dad brought home from the Pacific.

1000 WW2 vets die every day. I really don't think our America could do what they did. Maybe we won't have to....but what they did was amazing.
Here's to hoping the pain each one felt has eased.

Them Boys were Great for sure.

No generation in America not only stood up but ran to the challenge to fight for this Great Nation. My Grandads both served in that War and my Father served in 2, I was a Marine but never was in Combat or War and my Son's now serve.

My hat's off to them boys/old timers
I love old timers. They are great and sit and talk with. Sure they'll chew yer ear but they have Pearls of Wisdom. Pay Attention to the old timers Boy! ~smack lol

They went thru hell.
I enjoy all of Ken Burns movies. My wife would rather watch American Idol.

Excllent program I watch it all. My dad brought back a Japanese Arisaka Type 99 Rifle, I think it is a 6.5 mm. Anyway he was in the Navy and served duty in the Pacific rim.

Buffarilo

We can not do it again, not with todays pukes like Pellosi and Reed along with the MSM. All they want to do is cut & run even after 911. Hell, they wouldn't let us do it in SEA years ago much less now. I think our greatest decade was the 50's. My father (A vet) had one job, mom stayed home and raised three kids, we owned our house, left the doors unlocked at night. etc. etc. You can't do that today.

Yesterday got finished feeding aprox 6000 troops and family from
3rd Stryker Brigade 2nd Infantry Division "Arrowhead".
In their 15 month they lost 48 and over 300 were wounded, one 3 times.

Myself and Konrad Haskins cooked butt, brisket, ribs and chicken in 24 hours on 3 Ole Hickorys. We had four cooks from the base help apply rub and move meats as needed.

My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge and I'm a Nam vet.

Jim

6000! Wow. Bet that was a big o check. I am sure they enjoyed the best Q they ever had in their lives. Awesome.
God bless our Troops!

jminion said:
Yesterday got finished feeding aprox 6000 troops and family from
3rd Stryker Brigade 2nd Infantry Division "Arrowhead".
In their 15 month they lost 48 and over 300 were wounded, one 3 times.

Myself and Konrad Haskins cooked butt, brisket, ribs and chicken in 24 hours on 3 Ole Hickorys. We had four cooks from the base help apply rub and move meats as needed.

My father fought in the Battle of the Bulge and I'm a Nam vet.

Jim

Hell of a job Jim Thanks to you, your family and all the troops.

That's a wonderful thing Jim. Thanks to you, Mike H., BTGG, as well as everyone else that supports the troops; from an old vet. :D

I caught most of it on PBS. A little slow in parts but on the most part very well done.

For reference, in most of the battles of WWII, we lost more men in one day than we've lost to date in Iraq. Thank God CNN & NBC didn't have camera's reported live from Okinawa or Germany.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom