Just so you guys know how heated the east/west Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
debate is.....from the Raleigh News and Observer

Published: Feb 9, 2005
Modified: Feb 9, 2005 5:31 AM

On 'cue, it's east vs. west

By DENNIS ROGERS, Staff Writer

You see what happens when you try to be nice to people?
For the past several years, I have, in the name of regional diversity, laid off criticizing the fake barbecue served in other parts of our fine state.

Let us dine on the sublime swine as true brothers and sisters, I pleaded. Are we not partners in pork? Does not my proud vinegar-based Eastern North Carolina sauce stand shoulder to shoulder with your wimpy Lexington-style dip? Let us have a cholesterol consensus with our hush puppies and sweet iced tea.

No more, Jack.

Unsatisfied with drawing their $104-a-day walking-around money while nibbling the shrimp of lobbyists and waiting for the leadership to tell them what to do, the honorables of the General Assembly have become bored. And like restless children stuck in the house on a rainy day, they've gotten into mischief.

It started small when Sen. Tony Rand ordered the Bible and cross removed from the legislative chapel. Then Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight sent the clear signal that he, not Rand, is in charge of such matters and ordered the religious items returned. That, in politics, was an old-fashioned spanking. It's a wonder Basnight didn't make Rand go cut his own switch.

That entertainment was good for a few giggles in the opening week, but then Reps. Hugh Holliman and Jerry Dockham got completely out of hand with House Bill 21.

Warning: You might want to send the little ones out of the room for this part. The title of their bill is, "An act to adopt the Lexington Barbecue Festival as the Official Barbecue Festival of North Carolina."

I told you it was ugly. It's enough to give a true barbecue believer the greasy queasies.

As the Oracle of the Holy Grub, I am appalled but hardly surprised. People who would put ketchup in the sauce they feed to innocent children are capable of most anything.

This must not stand. Let the word go forth from this time and place that we, the Eastern North Carolina purveyors of pure barbecue, will not be roadkill for our western kin.

Arise, you Mavens of the Magnificent Meat that is only found east of the Gnat Line. Push yourself away from the table at swine shrines such as Cooper's, Wilber's, Parker's, Bill's, Mitchell's, King's, the Skylight and -- hold a hush puppy over your heart when you say the name -- B's, and make your feelings known.

Remind lawmakers that while our humble pig may not get the publicity Lexington gathers from the lying Yankee press, we still put on a pretty good show.

From the annual Mule Days cook-off each fall in Benson to the big doings at Newport (April will mark the 27th year for that fine feed) to the 21st annual N.C. Championship Barbecue Cook-off in Garner in two months, Eastern North Carolina barbecue remains the goal to which ambitious porkers aspire.

Holliman is well aware of the greasy mess he's in.

"I made a tactical error," he admitted. "What we really need is a cook-off to let legislators vote on which is the best."

Kill a pig and fire up the cookers, boys. This is war.

Bring it on, Lexington.

Dennis Rogers can be reached at 829-4750 or drogers@newsobserver.com.

© Copyright 2005, The News & Observer Publishing Company,
a subsidiary of The McClatchy Company

Finney, you've got to be kidding me....you are kidding me right?
Eastern sauce completely enhances the flavor of the pork. It was bastardized as it moved west with tomato...which covers up the flavor.
Eventually it got to Memphis and Kansas City, where they completely ruined it. As the Oracle of the Holy Grub clearly states, the only reason eastern q isn't on tv all the time is because there are no major metropolitan centers in that neck of the woods. As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?

Capt; I agree with you. The vinegar enhances the flavor instaed of covering it up. BUT, today I packed a cold pulled pork sandwich with me for work and squirted a little bbq sauce that was tomato based and it was pretty good on cold pulled pork. Hey no matter how you pull it, it's still GOOD!

oh Western is good, kinda like the Philadelphia Eagles. :-D
They can get to the Super Bowl, but just can't seem to beat the best.

Captain Morgan said:
oh Western is good, kinda like the Philadelphia Eagles. :-D
They can get to the Super Bowl, but just can't seem to beat the best.

Oh boy, keep looking over your shoulder for Rob O. :smt071

I have never tried a vinegar based sauce! I can't believe I just said that!!! :shock:

Mr. Haney says....I've got a great deal for you on some western style q...some of the best stuff that you ever had, and I'll let you have it all for just 99 cents a pound! \:D/

Captain Morgan said:
As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?

Now that is putting words in my mouth, I'm getting old but can't believe I've ever made that statment. LOL

Jim

jminion said:
Captain Morgan said:
As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?

Now that is putting words in my mouth, I'm getting old but can't believe I've ever made that statment. LOL

Jim

You didn't, I was seeing if you were reading!

Captain Morgan said:
Finney, you've got to be kidding me....you are kidding me right?
Eastern sauce completely enhances the flavor of the pork. It was bastardized as it moved west with tomato...which covers up the flavor.
Eventually it got to Memphis and Kansas City, where they completely ruined it. As the Oracle of the Holy Grub clearly states, the only reason eastern q isn't on tv all the time is because there are no major metropolitan centers in that neck of the woods. As Jim Minion finally admitted, American bbq started in eastern NC, and was perfected there. :star:

Who's your daddy!?!?

Morgan... What the Hell are you talking about? All the Lexington Style places I've ever been to, or all the pick pick'ns, or any of the BBQ I've ever eaten in that region have a THIN vinegar based sauce. They have just a hint of tomato in them to give the sauce a reddish tint. That's all the tomato that is in them. I don't know what the hell you have been eating that someone told you was Lexington style.

You have to go much further west to gat anything that has a real tomato presence.

Don't make me drive up to Myrtle Beach and "Kick your Ass".

Have you closed down your website yet? After that post you better do it, because you don't know 'Jack Shit' about BBQ.

just kidding. about the rants... not the Lex BBQ.

Chris Finney said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3ldt2i1p]Finney, you've got to be kidding me....you are kidding me right?

Who's your daddy!?!?

Morgan... What the Hell are you talking about? All the Lexington Style places I've ever been to, or all the pick pick'ns, or any of the BBQ I've ever eaten in that region have a THIN vinegar based sauce. They have just a hint of tomato in them to give the sauce a reddish tint. That's all the tomato that is in them. I don't know what the hell you have been eating that someone told you was Lexington style.

You have to go much further west to gat anything that has a real tomato presence.

Don't make me drive up to Myrtle Beach and "Kick your Ass".

Have you closed down your website yet? After that post you better do it, because you don't know 'Jack Shit' about BBQ.

just kidding. about the rants... not the Lex BBQ.[/quote:3ldt2i1p]

As I was saying before the poker game and last night's Dook debacle,
the further west you go, the more tomato there is. In Lexington, the sauce is indeed thin, but why add the tomato at all? It's well suited for beef, but not pork. The delicate fatty flavor is complemented by
the sharp twang of the vinegar and the spice of the pepper.

Now the reason I live in South Carolina now is that I also add a little apple juice and brown sugar to my sauce. For this reason, I am banished to smoke south of the border. Sometimes I sneak back into North Carolina for a little visit, but I have to travel by night.

Should you desire to come to Myrtle Beach, I will let you try my sauce
served over fresh smoked shoulders, and then tell me if you think it needs tomato flavoring.

Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:

Captain Morgan said:
... Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:

I knew it!! You're embarrased to be associated with us! ROFLMAO!!! Butt, I do understand. 8) The only person I told about this place is Larry! :shock: :shock:

Now, since I've never tried a vinager based sauce, how about giving this Yank a good one to start with... :D :D

The good news is that sauce is is simple...in my version it's apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. It's easy and cheap to experiment with to get it to your tastes. If you find you added too much apple juice or sugar, add a little white vinegar. Imho, it has to have a sharp vinegar bite, followed by the heat of the pepper and the sweetness of the apple. I make mine very hot, and add more apple juice for other folks.

Scott's sauce has a website you can order from and it's a very good example of the true eastern style. You can google it and find it easily.
If you try it right out of the bottle, you'll find it very hot, but it is of course thin and doesn't cling to the meat.

Bill Hays said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":fgn5rndv]... Still trying to decide about the forum....traffic is not is heavy as I'd like, but some of my folks might find this place a little...well...- :faint:

I knew it!! You're embarrased to be associated with us! ROFLMAO!!! Butt, I do understand. 8) The only person I told about this place is Larry! :shock: :shock:

Now, since I've never tried a vinager based sauce, how about giving this Yank a good one to start with... :D :D[/quote:fgn5rndv]

No I'm not embarrassed of you guys...I'm just worried about my people!
For example, my sister sometimes posts on that board...and I wouldn't let her near any of you! If, that is, any of you are actually heterosexual. :smt070

Back
Top Bottom