Just sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
You know my hubby has really done his utmost to be supportive of my BBQ addiction. He has tried taste tested and put up with a wife who wakes up at 2 am to make a BBQ sauce or comes up with a new rub. (he has also gained 60 lbs most of it I am to blame for-I don't like skinny men!!)

He even went out of his way to ask a few contractors working for him to get a couple of brand spanking new 55 gal drums. Yup brand spanking new never used ever for anythign still plastic wrapped. That was at the end of last summer.

So now I have been making a few phone calls to a few welders. Ugh.

It is going to cost me more to get them fixed up than it would for me just to go out and buy another couple of WSM's

Now that is sad.

Diva

It's not that bad when the solution is getting a couple of WSMs. Things could be much worse. You're a lucky girl.

Diva Q said:
You know my hubby has really done his utmost to be supportive of my BBQ addiction. He has tried taste tested and put up with a wife who wakes up at 2 am to make a BBQ sauce or comes up with a new rub. (he has also gained 60 lbs most of it I am to blame for-I don't like skinny men!!)

He even went out of his way to ask a few contractors working for him to get a couple of brand spanking new 55 gal drums. Yup brand spanking new never used ever for anythign still plastic wrapped. That was at the end of last summer.

So now I have been making a few phone calls to a few welders. Ugh.

It is going to cost me more to get them fixed up than it would for me just to go out and buy another couple of WSM's

Now that is sad.

I have 2 WSM`s and a 55 gallon drum smoker w/side fire box. While I use the WSM`s for things like butts , shoulders, brisket . I always fall back to the 55 gallon drum smoker for doing whole whole racks of ribs etc. I have two more drums waiting for make be a double barrel smoker but after using the WMS`s I am hooked on then. Heck I may even take a welding class of my own so I can do my own work.

My wife is my taste tester for all my creations , and my keeper of notes as I go along making new things. Lord love that woman she is now looking at the butts ribs and shoulders at the grocery store and bringing them home for the freezer. Se got 2 nice 7 lbs butts for 12.00 at the local grocery store yesterday ,they had a sale going on. She is going back for the spare ribs today!!!!

Diva, if I could make a few suggestions?

Welding those drums will take a very talented welder. Thats why its so expensive.

1. Grinders are cheap. Sears has them for around $69. Get some "Zip Wheels" (In this case brand name is important) for cutting the metal. Mark out the pattern you want with soap stone and let it rip. Make sure you wear protective glasses.

2. Then drill the holes and use stainless steel bolts for holding things together. The 55 gal drums are very thin metal. Won't take much to cut or drill.

3. Try to keep the inside grate area in a size that you can find pre-fab grates.

4. The exhaust can also be drilled and bolted to the cooker. Just "flair" out the metal that will be attached to the lid.

Just a few thoughts.

Diva...

BTGG had some good advice with the drilling and bolting...although I find in hard to understand the great difficulty & high cost in welding two barrels together.

The thicker things are is usually when skill and cost come in play. I know I charge more for welding on a backhoe then I do on someones patio furniture.

Either way I wish I were closer...I'd do it for free....same offer goes to anyone close by me that belongs to this forum.

Maybe this link will help you out if you choose to go the drill and bolt techique......it's meant to be an over and under woodstove.......but with a door cut into the top barrel and a cooking surface added...........it would surely suit needs for a seperate fire box vertical cooker/smoker.

And the best thing.... it's only $19.99!!!!!!!!!!

here's the link>> http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 2429_42429

img_95681_0_2c5d8f40ef6a32ed4a6bf3e3e7a1ea09.jpg

I used the same deal from Northern Tool. I cut the holes using a jigsaw and about 4 cheap metal blades to do the cutting and a plain old drill bit set for mine. Use earplugs when cutting cuz it gets really loud!

cleglue said:
You could build this smoker using the 55 gal. drum. A Magnum WSM.

http://web.dbtech.net/~johnson/cookers/ ... agnum.html

I wouldn't think the outter shell is necessary.

You don' t have to weld to build a double barrel smoker.

Now that does give me ideas yes, now I have to find my friend that welds I already have 2 heavy steel barrels , all I need is 2 more , the future is brighter already!!!!

Back
Top Bottom