JAMÓN IBERICO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
JAMÓN IBERICO in finally available in the United States. It is reputed to be the best ham in the world. The pigs, raised in Spain, are free range and feed on acorns which makes for excellent marbeling in the meat. The ham has not been available until recently because of USDA regulations about the curing process.

hanging_hams.jpg

iberico_pigs.jpg

In the bulking-up stage each fall, the pigs feast on 15 to 20 pounds of acorns or 'bellotas' per day. This allows them to gain as much as 2 pounds of body weight daily. The consistent exercise they enjoy as they forage in a free-range atmosphere is essential to the final quality of the hams.

They can be purchased here, link, but I am sure there are other places in the country selling this ham. This is not cheap, but if you demand the absolute best ham in the world, well here it is!

I'll ask my brother where he ordered his. had it last in feb for hos wife's bday. It really had a nice mild, nutty flavor ( go figure) he posts on here from time to time (squint) so I'll see if I can round him up.

ok he just called...same place. So you ordering the $800 whole ham ???

It's hard for me to buy the spanish stuff when this place - featured on Food Network - is just down the road. When it comes to ham and real country bacon availability, I'm really lucky. This place is a country ham/bacon joint - what a treat - you may want to consider them if you like the real thing. BD
www.bentonshams.com

The stuff goes for over $100/lb alot of the time. If it tastes anything like the Italian equivalent.......I'll pass! Can you BBQ it? Because, I am all about BBQ!!!! ;)

Woodman said:
The stuff goes for over $100/lb alot of the time. If it tastes anything like the Italian equivalent.......I'll pass! Can you BBQ it? Because, I am all about BBQ!!!! ;)

Is that all you ever talk about...BBQ?

I've gained 2 pds/day on nuts.
What's that pig in the picture eating? I don't see any oak trees around in that pasture. Maybe he's a scrapple pig. :LOL:

cflatt said:
I'll ask my brother where he ordered his. had it last in feb for hos wife's bday. It really had a nice mild, nutty flavor ( go figure) he posts on here from time to time (squint) so I'll see if I can round him up.

ok he just called...same place. So you ordering the $800 whole ham ???

:LOL: :LOL: No, but I would sure like a little taste once before I die. ;)

I agree. I have been hearing about the wonderful hams of Spain for years. I would like to see what the fuss is about!

Bruce B said:
Woodman said:

Is that all you ever talk about...BBQ?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:

10 year old ham by Joe Ames. How would ya like a slice of that on rye with aged swiss. :D :LOL: 5 year old cheddar on the side.

no..but I'll take it on a biscuit with a side of eggs :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom