Indiana road trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Just got back from Indiana.
Really nice place. Got away from the northeast hardasses, they have great roads, know how to drive, and the best........it's flat.
I love flat land and straight roads.
They even had vine rip tomatoes :shock: . You can't find a decent tomato in Pa this year.

Glad you enjoyed your trip Rag That's gettin' down close to my neck of the woods! (I'm about 90 miles from Evansville, Indiana, it's beautiful over that way too).

8)

Rag said:
Just got back from Indiana.
Really nice place. Got away from the northeast hardasses, they have great roads, know how to drive, and the best........it's flat.
I love flat land and straight roads.
They even had vine rip tomatoes :shock: . You can't find a decent tomato in Pa this year.

Well we got flat land & roads but they rough as hell. Ask Uncle Bubba or Bruce B

I can tell you didn't come through my part of the state (extreme northeast corner).......curvy roads with lots of potholes were no place in your description. lol Glad you enjoyed our state. In my area, vine ripened tomatoes are hard to come by. My 52 plants are not doing well at all and I've only canned 10 quarts so far! We've had blossom end rot from the cool weather this summer and they are ripening so slowly.

allie said:
I can tell you didn't come through my part of the state (extreme northeast corner).......curvy roads with lots of potholes were no place in your description. lol Glad you enjoyed our state. In my area, vine ripened tomatoes are hard to come by. My 52 plants are not doing well at all and I've only canned 10 quarts so far! We've had blossom end rot from the cool weather this summer and they are ripening so slowly.

It's too late for this year, but spray a calcium solution on your toms and peppers to prevent blossom end rot. Garden centers sell it. End rot is a calcium deficiency. Easy to do and saves a ton of toms from the slop pile.

I know that it's caused by calcium deficiency but from what I've been told by several tomato growers, the ground has to be warm enough to utilize the calcium and the problem is we haven't had enough warm weather this year. This has been the coolest summer on record for our area of the country. After a week of temps around 88-93, the tomatoes were doing better and then the bottom dropped out again so back to the same ole, same ole.

If you put powdered calcium on the ground , then yes to the temps....but use liquid spray on the foliage and the temp doesn't matter.

Now don't think it wise to proclaim temp don't matter on foliar spraying. Now my problemo is just the opposite in that it stays too hot for man and beastes in this part o the world..but I heard on a well respected garden radio show that plants would not uptake foliar feed at mo that 75 degrees. That been the liquid temp as I understand it. That is why I keep my baby sprayers in the ice box. Now if I lived up near the N. Pole as yall apparently do..I might keep it in the oven all summer just to make sure it dont dip below freezing. Who knows?

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom