I'm callin you out Helen!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the Dead actually sound worse when your mind is........."enhanced!" Forgive me, but what is there about the jangly southern-country-bop-rock music they play that lends itself to the hallucinogenic experience? I guess maybe if you're a moron that just wants to spin around in a circle, it provides a soundtrack? Now Enya, there is some music!

UGH! I can't stand the Beatles! Yeah I'm sure they did contribute a lot to the music we hear today....same as Johnny Cash with county music. Les and I have argued and argued over Cash. He thinks he's the greatest and he was done so wrong by the CMA. Me, I think his music had been left behind and it was time for a new sound. Anyway, I have never been a Beatles fan and I, too, would rather hear The Monkees over them. Cheer up Sleepy Jean! There are so many musicians whose works affect what we hear today but the same as certain artists who are popular now, it doesn't make me want to listen to them! Everyone hears music differently, that's why so many genres with so many followings. I'll listen to just about any genre out there and like some of each one but not everyone who plays/sings that particular style of music.

OH yeah, I just knew this was going to be a post begging for pics of the piercing! LOL

ok so theres nothing that says everyone has to like those bands that helped shape alot of the music we listen to...but the 2 down 2 to go comment was a bit on the hard side, how would you feel if it was you they were talking about ? As to the rest of itI too grew up surrounded by all types of music and have worked with most of it over the last 20 years...though I still dont get the Dead appeal either. and the other artists you mention....test of time....will your grandkids even know who they are without google ? C'mon Thievery Corp ? just a bunch of well used Acid loops and Reason samples...though marketed very well. Gotta remember about music though, its all about personal tastes, gives us all more to grow from....or away from as the case may be. But hey thats just my 2 cents.

Jeff E said:
I remember being a young kid arguing with my older brother about music. He said the Beatles made the best music. I disagreed & said the Monkees were better. :eek:
I've never really liked the Beatles, Dead, or the Stones.
Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Yes were my favorites growing up.

Way to be Jeff! Hey Hey we're the Monkees!

Now you see, I like the Monkees and the Beatles! And the Stones and The Doors..............I still do not get someone not liking The Beatles. I'm sorry. It is like someone saying "I don't like soup." Or, "I don't like ice cream." You see, there was no definitive "style" to the body of their work. There were:

1) Hard rocking edgy "John" songs from early on like " Bad Boy,"or "Dizzy Miss Lizzy."

2) Hard rockin "Paul" songs from early on like " I'm Down" and "Drive my Car."

3) Beautiful two and three part love songs the likes of which inspired the entire genre like " Yes it Is," "That Boy", and " If I Fell."

4) Goofball, fun Ringo songs like "Boys" , "Act Naturally," Octapus's Garden, and Yellow Submarine.

5) Very Hard rocking edgy later stuff like "She Said, She Said," "Hey Bulldog", Helter Skelter."

6) Wonderfully crafted early pop songs by George like "If I Needed Someone," or "You Like Me Too Much," and "I Want to Tell You."

7) Country Twangers like "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party."

9) The later , deeper "John" stuff like "Dear Prudence" , "Julia," "Cry Baby Cry,"

10) The entire "B" Side of "Abbey Road."

11) The Eastern "George" stuff like "Within and Without You." and "Love to You."

12) The rediculously beautiful and yearning "Paul" songs like "Yesterday" , "For No One." "Mother Nature's Son," and Blackbird."or "She's Leaving Home."

13) The later sloppy, loose "John" songs like "Revolution," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "I've got a Feeling."

14) The "drug songs" like "Lucy in the Sky" or "Tomorrow Never Knows.""It's All too Much."

15) Songs of despair: "Nowhere Man"

16) Songs of Joy "There's a Place."

I could go on all day. Anyone who say's "I don't really "get" or "like" The Beatles, has never really "listened" to the Beatles beyond the tired old warhorse songs even I am tired of like "Twist and Shout" or "Ticket to Ride.". I'm sorry. I understand people having their own tastes and all. But the quality of their work is not really even up for debate. Anywhere! They are not like say "Elvis" who was maybe "three dimensional." The Beatles were "50- Dimensional." They evolved and then re-evolved. I am not really a big Stones fan (although I think "Exile on Main Street " is one of the greatest rock albums of all time,) [/i]because they always sound the same to me. They always sound like "The Mick Jagger Band." I guess I cannot really even criticize the DEad on this basis, because I have really only heard about 5 of their songs. But I can say that I saw Bob Wier on VH1 with his new group last night and what they were playing sounded just like the 5 Dead songs I have heard.
Now, go out and buy "Revolver" and tell me that this isn't the # 1 album of all time. It is, in FACT!!!!!!

http://www.beatles-discography.com/

The Beatles are one of those bands I could take or leave along with the Dead. The stones have got to on of my favorite bands of all time. Big fan of Zeppelin, Skynyrd, and the Who to mention a few. My favorite band of all time is pink floyd. With their unique sound, great intrumantals and vocals. I do not think there will ever be another like them. If I could go back and see anyone it would be them. They sounded great at live 8 and I think they would go back on tour again if it was not for David Gilmore. I also like a little metal from time to time little Ozzy, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Guns n roses and Sabbath.
To me all of of the new punk bands sound the same and I do not see the tallent in rap.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it’s sinking
And racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in the relative way, but you’re older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I’d something more to say

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
And when I come home cold and tired
It’s good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

Chris, Have you ever seen "Pink Floyd-Live at Pompei"? If not, I highly reccommend it! I think it was filmed in 1971 and alot of it was filmed in the studio (Abbey Road Studios where the Beatles recorded by the way) [/i]while they were recording Dark Side. Most of the stuff they play live is from "Meddle" "Saucerful of Secrets" and Ummagumma," but this is perhaps the best live rock movie EVER! A MUST SEE! Woodman

ps I saw the "Wish You Were Here" tour at Three Rivers in Pittsburgh in 74 and the "Animals" tour in Cleveland in 76(?).

Woodman I have never seen live at pompei. I have never even heard of it untill you told me about it. I plan to get it soon

Thanks for the info,
Chris

chris1237 said:
Woodman I have never seen live at pompei. I have never even heard of it untill you told me about it. I plan to get it soon

Thanks for the info,
Chris
I hope you like it better than I did. It's been at least 25yrs, but all I can remember about it was they were sitting in these ruins playing... with a dog howling. But I was stoned, so what do I know.

ps. I am a Floyd fan. :(

I used to be in a band that actually attempted that whole side of the record! My favorite is the "One sweet dream....." part!

ok Woody, this is for you....just a little brilliance of George Harrison...

now what you are about to see if just as amazing, if not more than the juggler, who was fabulous. You're about to see a guy who looks like
William Hung playing the Ukulele. Not kidding. He does a staggering
version of While My Guitar Gently Sleeps. Not kidding.
I waited a month to finally watch it, but after hearing so much about it
I decided to give it a shot. glad I did....

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=576

Back
Top Bottom