I MUST VENT!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Susan Z said:
Yay! It all worked out swell.

Yeah, I suppose............Still can't get over the guys working 2.5 hours and leaving yesterday. I'm happy it's done!!

Susan Z said:
I love happy endings.

:joy:
Me too, but they closed all the massage parlors down around here!

Bryan S said:
Thank GOD. Was worried you would have to stop on the way home to get more cheese for your Whine :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Oh that's right, I forgot you didn't get your panties in a twist when your concrete pad wasn't done and cut on time???????? "ooooh he didn't show up, ooooh it's gonna crack, oooooh I gotta power wash it, oooooh I love Larry!" :lmao:

TexLaw said:
I don't have any problem with it. I like the sound of Spanish.

And, I got news for you, you'd do better to learn Spanish than to tell folks to learn English.

TL

Thats what they are hoping for. Don't give in, my father, my inlaws and my wife all came here from foreign countries and learned to speak the language, why can't they?

Susan Z said:
The English did that to the Welsh, too. You kill a language, you actually kill that culture. Language--with its structure, the words it has and does NOT have, and grammar (say, having words that are masculine or feminine)--actually shapes the way you think about things and how you conceptualize things. So it's good to be multilingual.

For example, in the 50's this anthropologist set out to discover why there was such a high rate of suicide in Tahiti. Turned out they had no concept of grief. :tant: They felt it, experienced it, but had no way to express it or ritualize it, so they ended up committing suicide more often than in other cultures.

Similarly, missionaries had a devil of a time trying to get Christianity to take hold in Japan because they don't have a concept of 'brotherhood'--you're either an elder brother (and thus more important) or a younger brother (less important). Brothers are not equals. Some Native American languages have different words for 'sister (of a man)' and 'sister (of a woman)'. :sham:

There are also words in other languages that have no English equivalent.

You can see how language shapes culture. Think of the highly structured German language (which actually uses Latin grammar) and think of how precise we think German engineering is. :march: Think about the Italian language and how artistically expressive Italian designs are. :egg:

:read: :help: :eek:fftop:

Think of the AMERICAN policeman telling the non english speaking mexican to get out of the car. He doesn't understand so he gets Tazered! Now learn the language of the country you want to reside in!

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Susan Z":2zyjhy44]The English did that to the Welsh, too. You kill a language, you actually kill that culture. Language--with its structure, the words it has and does NOT have, and grammar (say, having words that are masculine or feminine)--actually shapes the way you think about things and how you conceptualize things. So it's good to be multilingual.

For example, in the 50's this anthropologist set out to discover why there was such a high rate of suicide in Tahiti. Turned out they had no concept of grief. :tant: They felt it, experienced it, but had no way to express it or ritualize it, so they ended up committing suicide more often than in other cultures.

Similarly, missionaries had a devil of a time trying to get Christianity to take hold in Japan because they don't have a concept of 'brotherhood'--you're either an elder brother (and thus more important) or a younger brother (less important). Brothers are not equals. Some Native American languages have different words for 'sister (of a man)' and 'sister (of a woman)'. :sham:

There are also words in other languages that have no English equivalent.

You can see how language shapes culture. Think of the highly structured German language (which actually uses Latin grammar) and think of how precise we think German engineering is. :march: Think about the Italian language and how artistically expressive Italian designs are. :egg:

:read: :help: :eek:fftop:

Think of the AMERICAN policeman telling the non english speaking mexican to get out of the car. He doesn't understand so he gets Tazered! Now learn the language of the country you want to reside in![/quote:2zyjhy44]

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

TexLaw said:
To whomever may read this and feel I've directed it to them:

I have known a few people that refused to speak English. None of them were native Spanish speakers. All of them were stubborn SOBs that expected the world to come to them.

I am also a descendant of immigrants who learned "the language," as well as a descendant of those who had "the language" forced upon them. I remember how bitter some of them were about it, especially those that were taught that their culture was savage and inferior. I heard stories about children that were beaten because they spoke some words or sang a song in their native tongue. Of course, I refer to my Cherokee great-grandmother there, but I'm also remembering a few stories my German step-great-grandfather told me.

Do you realize that the United States of America has no official language? Do you see that xenophobia achieves nothing? Do you have any idea how isolated almost all Americans are because they speak only one language, English? Do you even begin to appreciate how nearly the entire population of the Earth, except that of the United States of America, is at least competant in no less than two languages or major dialects?

Didn't you learn that the reason so many people in this country speak English is because English-speaking people came through and virtually wiped out the non-English-speaking population that already resided here? Are you afraid that something like that might happen again?

Do you realize that more people speak Spanish than English?

Do you support any ESL (English as second language) programs in any way other than pounding your fist?

I don't control the people that you seem afraid of, angry with, or frustrated with, nor do I care to. I certinaly don't control you, nor do I care to, and I know the ire that is about to come my way. I do control myself, though. Rather than feel threatened because I do not know something, I learn it. When I hear an announcement or see a billboard in another language, I am more excited than afraid. I enjoy other cultures, and just as Susan pointed out, a language is as much a laboratory to learn a culture than anything else. I'll never learn them all, but I'll do the best I can. At the very least, I have furthered my career greatly and enjoyed many experiences I would not have otherwise because I bothered to learn other languages to one degree or another.

If nothing else, people, don't you enjoy learning something?

TL

So then if you moved to, lets say Spain, you would refuse to learn spanish and ONLY continue to talk english? BTW, english is the universal language, every pilot has to learn it, or they don't fly here! Most other countries that have students learn a second language, english is the language they learn. All I'm saying is if you live here, speak this language. When your at home, I don't give a rats a$$ what you speak. If I ever moved to another country, you could bet your bottom dollar that I would learn there language. But why would anybody want to leave this country???????

1044 said:
TexLaw said:
Nick Prochilo said:
TexLaw said:
To whomever may read this and feel I've directed it to them:

I have known a few people that refused to speak English. None of them were native Spanish speakers. All of them were stubborn SOBs that expected the world to come to them.

I am also a descendant of immigrants who learned "the language," as well as a descendant of those who had "the language" forced upon them. I remember how bitter some of them were about it, especially those that were taught that their culture was savage and inferior. I heard stories about children that were beaten because they spoke some words or sang a song in their native tongue. Of course, I refer to my Cherokee great-grandmother there, but I'm also remembering a few stories my German step-great-grandfather told me.

Do you realize that the United States of America has no official language? Do you see that xenophobia achieves nothing? Do you have any idea how isolated almost all Americans are because they speak only one language, English? Do you even begin to appreciate how nearly the entire population of the Earth, except that of the United States of America, is at least competant in no less than two languages or major dialects?

Didn't you learn that the reason so many people in this country speak English is because English-speaking people came through and virtually wiped out the non-English-speaking population that already resided here? Are you afraid that something like that might happen again?

Do you realize that more people speak Spanish than English?

Do you support any ESL (English as second language) programs in any way other than pounding your fist?

I don't control the people that you seem afraid of, angry with, or frustrated with, nor do I care to. I certinaly don't control you, nor do I care to, and I know the ire that is about to come my way. I do control myself, though. Rather than feel threatened because I do not know something, I learn it. When I hear an announcement or see a billboard in another language, I am more excited than afraid. I enjoy other cultures, and just as Susan pointed out, a language is as much a laboratory to learn a culture than anything else. I'll never learn them all, but I'll do the best I can. At the very least, I have furthered my career greatly and enjoyed many experiences I would not have otherwise because I bothered to learn other languages to one degree or another.

If nothing else, people, don't you enjoy learning something?

TL

So then if you moved to, lets say Spain, you would refuse to learn spanish and ONLY continue to talk english? BTW, english is the universal language, every pilot has to learn it, or they don't fly here! Most other countries that have students learn a second language, english is the language they learn. All I'm saying is if you live here, speak this language. When your at home, I don't give a rats a$$ what you speak. If I ever moved to another country, you could bet your bottom dollar that I would learn there language. But why would anybody want to leave this country???????

No, I would not refuse to learn Spanish, and what I said above does support any statement that I would refuse to. However, when I'm in Spain or Italy or France or Mexico or Belgium, it does not surprise me to see some advertisements written in English because the folks that wrote them know it's worth it. If the English-speaking population grew in one of those areas, I would expect to see more.

Like you said, why would anyone want to leave this country? Do you want them to leave or speak English for your convenience or for theirs?

TL

Fac tis, as was stated, English is the international language. While you can't use it freely everywhere, you would be surprised where you can.

I haven't been to any foreign country where there are no English signs. It is interesting where you will hear English spoken, especially by children and young folks. It is required learning in most European countries.

Having said that, I am learning Russian, slowly, simply because it is to my advantage when I am there.
I agree, though, I don't understand the mentality of foreigners moving here, or any other country, and not learning the language. I think it is pride in many cases. It only handicaps the person.

See what I mean!

Does anyone have a clue what this means in English???

¡Usted debe salmuera sus pavos!

Translates to.........."You must brine your turkeys"! 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

ScottyDaQ said:
Boooooooooooooooo!
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

(bad joke)

Poor sport!!! I'm just having fun. If I've offended anyone please call someone who cares, cause I don't!

ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:
Boooooooooooooooo!
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

(bad joke)

Poor sport!!! I'm just having fun. If I've offended anyone please call someone who cares, cause I don't!

Boooo hisssss? then?

LOL ! You know I'm just funnin ya. O:)

I know! You probably don't brine either, but I still like you! :smooch:

Back
Top Bottom