I having my family over for gumbo tonight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
I had this plan now for mouth to have a Christmas Eve party and everyone new I was making gumbo than yesterday my bothers called me and said they don’t like gumbo! But they use a few more choice word to tell my wife that they don’t like gumbo. Now should I make them something else my dad is asking me to cook them a steak I trying not to be party poorer but what they said to my wife hurt my and her felling I am the one giving this party and paying for it and I should be able to do what would I like to do. I will probably give in and cook them their steaks.

Thanks for letting get this off my mind,

Missing Link.

If you would have let me know earlier, I would have come with a smile and a large spoon :)
I LOVE GUMBO. :grin:
And it's real hard to find it up here :eek:

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but isn't that what Christmas is all about (Family)

Cheers

Keep smilin :!:

Captain Morgan said:
Yeah, bite your tongue, cookem what they want, and after Christmas,
GET A NEW SET OF FAMILY MEMBERS!!!! :razz:
Yeah! We're (forum) family ~ Invite us over next year for Gumbo or what ever you want to cook ! :(

everyone is invite next year I will sand out the invite at the first of December Rsvp to let me know when you will be in town.

Thanks for the help i will bite my tongue and make what they what.

Good on you Link. Make 'em what they want. Be thankful your family wants to spend Christmas Eve with you. Merry Christmas.

Griff

Chris, if you told them in the beginning you were making Gumbo, then make Gumbo! ESPECIALLY since they were rude to you wife! No way I'd change plans you had planned for a month and they knew about it! I'd get my brothers one on one and let them know they owe your wife an apology, and unitl then this is the last time they are welcomed in your house! That's just me though. Whatever you decide, hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Aahhh...Christmas. I know it wouldn't be the same at my folks if my sisters weren't fighting ..lol. Its become a family tradition for us. Id go with the gumbo just to agravate them !

Sometimes the Holidays gets people all turned around and they do and say things they normally wouldn't say. Keep your head up and serve the gumbo on the side. Bet they eat it anyway. :!: Seize the day and enjoy it anyway!

I had a great time making the gumbo yesterday I made up with my brothers they made amends with my wife. I ask them to try the gumbo they would not I got my sister to try it she like it but said it was to hot for her so I made them a steak anyway. Everyone enjoyed them self and the kids had a great time opening their gifts the only wish I have was that my mother was still here. I guess I was more upset at the fact that it not for us the adult it for the kids and for them to say what they said it hurt.

Thanks for letting me vent some of what I was thinking before I really went and said something that I did not need to say.

Thanks,
Chris Williams, (Missing Link).

All right now hear is my biggest secret I have is my gumbo I use to make my on roux but that was way too much work. So I was looking for and easy way to make a gumbo and I found it in a box by zatarain (the name is Zatarain gumbo base without the rice). I can find this at the local grocery store are you can probably find it on line.

I use two boxes of the gumbo base. any good roux will work.
1, large onion chopped. I like to sweat the onion before I start the base of the gumbo. It will add so much more flavor.
1lb of sausage.
1lb of chicken pre cooked. I like to shread or pull the chicken.
I like a lot of shrimp so I use 3 to 4 Lb. I pre cook the shrimp and it does not go back in the gumbo tell the last 5 or 10 minutes.
Make your own rice on the side.

I use to make a stock out of the shrimp parts for my gumbo but I have found the boxes of the gumbo base I do not have to make my own stock.

Now all that is left is to follow the box recipe and make the gumbo. It is the best I can make at home that I know all my family members will eat. Except for my brothers.

I wish I had more time to make a real gumbo and real dirty rice but they take more than some people are willing wait.

Now that all of you know my secret please don’t make to much fun of me I was just looking for an easy way Of making something that I would serve to any one of you. (ps I forgot about yall asking for the recipe).

thanks for being so understanding. I forgot to put okra in my last gumbo but yes I'm a big okra lover my self and it goes very good in gumbo.

Back
Top Bottom