I am ticked off!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I am ticked off! Let me start this story by saying that Van Halen is my favorite band. I have been to a bunch of their concerts and have all their albums. Back in high school I paid for my younger brother’s ticket so he could go with me to see Van Halen. It was his first concert. My brother is in an executive training program at Sara Lee foods in their meat dept. Sara Lee had an event in Las Vegas to celebrate the success of their Emeril line of products. Emeril and other celebrities were going to be there. So Saturday night my brother calls me and says I just spent 10 minutes talking with Sammy Hagar!! I said that is awesome can you get his autograph for me?? He tells me that he does not have a pen but he will send me a copy of the picture they took together. WHAT??????? Can you believe that!!

Dog...it's just a signature dude! Don't give those celebs the satisfaction that there name is better than yours on paper...who cares!!?? The CD's are much better!! :!:

Yeah, just think in another 20 years you should be able to sell that autograph to a collector and get just about enough money to buy your own pen.
20.gif

My most cherished autograph/autographs came as a result of a bus boy job that I had when I was working my way through college. The restaurant was Karl Ratzsch's German Restaurant in Milwaukee, WI. Ratzsch's is a landmark restaurant in Milwaukee and the restaurant was booked by Major League Baseball to host the dinner after the 1975 Baseball Allstar Game. I got stuck in what I thought was the worst (smallest station) of the night, the bar (only had about 6 tables). Business was slow all night because of the game. The restaurant was shut down just before midnight and reopened just for the players, managers, and owners. At one of the tables in the bar was an old familiar face, my baseball idol as a kid, Mickey Mantle who was the honorary captain of the American League team. He was knocking them down with his old pal Billy Martin. George Steinbrenner was also at the table. Anyway to make a long story short. Someone left behind a copy of the All Star program which I quickly scarfed up. I got permission from management to approach Mantle (who by the way closed the place down that night) and Martin and asked them for their autographs. They were very cordial and signed my program, Mickey's was over his picture in the program. The next day Martin was named manager of the Yankees for the very first time. I still have that program and cherish it to this day.

Kloset, as a Big Yankees Fan, I have to ask you this question...do you think either of them rememberd signing that 2 seconds after they did it or where they totally bombed out of their minds??!?!?! :eek:

A big Yankee's fan in Cleveland??? Can't say I blame you. I've been a lifelong Red's fan. Remember the '76 world series or are you too young? 4-0 Reds over Yanks. Kloset...great story. Those two had to be bombed.

Bubba...Born and mostly raised in New York...1976 I was 2 yrs old...so no, I don't remember that one! :!:

Actually Billy and The Mick were in pretty good shape when they left but boy those guys could drink!

Bubba, I have a Reds story too. My wife's father was the vice principal of her high school. Back in the early 70's (I think it was 1970), they sponsored a couple of foreign exchange students (girls) at their house. An article in the Cincinnati paper was written about how homesick one of the Reds new rookies was. The rookies name was Davey Concepcion from Venezuela. My father in law contacted the Reds and let them know that there were a couple of Venezuelan girls at his house who were homesick also. An introduction was made and Davey wound up dating one of the girls that year. Now this isn't really the point of the story just the set up. As most of you know Davey went on to be one of the all time great shortstops in baseball history and got along well with his Big Red Machine teammates. The year they swept the Yankees ('76) he asked every member of the team including Sparky Anderson (who never signs his name Sparky, always George) to sign a team baseball and he gave it to my father in law. My wife now has the ball. Every member of the team except one signed the ball. The one that did not sign the ball stated that he doesn't give away free autographs. Can you guess what member of the team this was? This is easy guys!

Kloset BBQR said:
Actually Billy and The Mick were in pretty good shape when they left but boy those guys could drink!

Bubba, I have a Reds story too. My wife's father was the vice principal of her high school. Back in the early 70's (I think it was 1970), they sponsored a couple of foreign exchange students (girls) at their house. An article in the Cincinnati paper was written about how homesick one of the Reds new rookies was. The rookies name was Davey Concepcion from Venezuela. My father in law contacted the Reds and let them know that there were a couple of Venezuelan girls at his house who were homesick also. An introduction was made and Davey wound up dating one of the girls that year. Now this isn't really the point of the story just the set up. As most of you know Davey went on to be one of the all time great shortstops in baseball history and got along well with his Big Red Machine teammates. The year they swept the Yankees ('76) he asked every member of the team including Sparky Anderson (who never signs his name Sparky, always George) to sign a team baseball and he gave it to my father in law. My wife now has the ball. Every member of the team except one signed the ball. The one that did not sign the ball stated that he doesn't give away free autographs. Can you guess what member of the team this was? This is easy guys!

On Sparky,
If you are ever in Thousand Oaks, CA...they are naming the baseball field at my alma mater, Cal Lutheran, after Sparky. If you go early enough to Eggs N Things to eat in the morning, you can catch him there. I saw him once.

My late mother in law had a brother in law who lived in Tampa. Every year he went to Red's spring training. In 75 and 76 he got balls(a baseball, not his) signed by the team...including Pete Rose. Upon her passing, the balls(baseballs, not his) ended up in my posession where they remain today. Included are Johnny Bench, Rose, George Foster, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullet, Dan Driesan just to name a few. I even have Woodman's uncle's autograph on the ball...Merv Rettmund(spelling?). Found out he was his uncle on the way down to Nelsonville. Said he used to go into the locker rooms and stuff. That would explain his phallic fascination.

Uncle Bubba said:
My late mother in law had a brother in law who lived in Tampa. Every year he went to Red's spring training. In 75 and 76 he got balls(a baseball, not his) signed by the team...including Pete Rose. Upon her passing, the balls(baseballs, not his) ended up in my posession where they remain today. Included are Johnny Bench, Rose, George Foster, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullet, Dan Driesan just to name a few. I even have Woodman's uncle's autograph on the ball...Merv Rettmund(spelling?). Found out he was his uncle on the way down to Nelsonville. Said he used to go into the locker rooms and stuff. That would explain his phallic fascination.

LOL! You know Tony Perez nickname was Doggy!

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":1oat5nuv]My late mother in law had a brother in law who lived in Tampa. Every year he went to Red's spring training. In 75 and 76 he got balls(a baseball, not his) signed by the team...including Pete Rose. Upon her passing, the balls(baseballs, not his) ended up in my posession where they remain today. Included are Johnny Bench, Rose, George Foster, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion, Don Gullet, Dan Driesan just to name a few. I even have Woodman's uncle's autograph on the ball...Merv Rettmund(spelling?). Found out he was his uncle on the way down to Nelsonville. Said he used to go into the locker rooms and stuff. That would explain his phallic fascination.

LOL! You know Tony Perez nickname was Doggy![/quote:1oat5nuv]

That will explain alot about him!

Uncle Bubba said:

wow, the Big Red Machine! I was a huge Reds fan growing up.
Up until about Marge Schott.

Back
Top Bottom