How much are you willing to pay for a host??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If we did go to pay service there would not be another move. We would stay at this site...there would just be some changes visually and more non-visually!

Again, if you type in www-bbq-4-u.com from any computer you will be brought here!!

There are benefits to using a paid host. I don't know how Greg has his site set up but you could use forum software that is very rich in features. It could be slowly built into more of a forum/website over time. It could also be set up to where there is a free section with limited access and a paid section where the paid members have access to all the info and features. While putting the new Gator Pit forum together using SMF open source software I have seen what is possible. I have just scratched the surface on the Gator site but have seen other sites that are incredible. I wouldn't be so hasty in turning this away. I think you guys could really build up an amazing, well organized compendium of BBQ knowledge with the right set up.

Greg Rempe said:
If we did go to pay service there would not be another move. We would stay at this site...there would just be some changes visually and more non-visually!

Again, if you type in www-bbq-4-u.com from any computer you will be brought here!!

The problem is that most people like me have thier favorite sites stored under favorites. That being the case, if you where to click on the old link you would get the old site. Some people may not be aware of that and after a while just gave up on us. Maybe another email letting them know that we have moved and they need to change thier link. Just a thought.

Personally, I think you ought to pay us Rempe! The Poll results speak itself with 92% voting against! I think said member must have either been under the influence (perhaps the smoke got to him) or had his head up his pork butt! I predict if you go to a pay site, people will leave in droves or set up a competing site. Ads don't bother me a bit! Leave it alone! I even like the creative ways we have to spell certain words under the new format!

In case I haven't been clear enough, one more time, DON'T CHANGE A THING!!!!!!!!!

Greg Rempe said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":28yiiue0]So who is this mysterious said member?

I'll tell you but ya need to give me that off-set! :shock:[/quote:28yiiue0]

Greg, you're number 1 on the wait list!

Just out of curiousity. How much out of pocket costs does this site run you
a year? I'd be glad to chip in for that!

What would be the benefits of a paid member site? What are the additional features that would be available and what would that cost be?

Can't really answer the question until cost/benefits are known.

Kloset BBQR said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":15zs61q4]So who is this mysterious said member?
Does it matter?

Aha! The first defensive post from a member at Oinktoberfest!

Am I close? :D[/quote:15zs61q4]
No....I was just wondering if it mattered who had an issue.....I was sitting here kind of bored and was just wondering does it matter?

No, it doesn't matter...I was just bring this issue to the people to see how ya'll felt. "Said Member" shall remain "Said Nameless"...

Was that a no on the off-set Dallas?

Kloset BBQR said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":2zizua5g][quote="Kloset BBQR":2zizua5g]So who is this mysterious said member?

I'll tell you but ya need to give me that off-set! :shock:[/quote:2zizua5g]

Greg, you're number 1 on the wait list!

Just out of curiosity. How much out of pocket costs does this site run you
a year? I'd be glad to chip in for that!

What would be the benefits of a paid member site? What are the additional features that would be available and what would that cost be?

Can't really answer the question until cost/benefits are known.[/quote:2zizua5g]

1. Currently nothing...
2. I don't see a benefit to pay for something that I can't fix if/when it breaks.
3. At some point, when I get a new computer, the possibility of my own host might be more of an idea. However, I would NEVER ask any one for money. This is my site and if I decide to do things that cost money then I will/should pay for it myself.

I appreciate all of you who said you would chip in!! It means a lot to me!

Greg Rempe said:
No, it doesn't matter...I was just bring this issue to the people to see how ya'll felt. "Said Member" shall remain "Said Nameless"...

Was that a no on the off-set Dallas?

No, like I said your number one on the list when I decide to get rid of said offset :D

I like the idea presented earlier of a free site with a subcription side. But what would be on the subscription side....the blue room, free coupons for wolf rub or offset pit wallpaper? They would have to something there, even it were only $10/year.

My site runs me $20/month plus the annual INTERNIC fee. I have tons of bandwidth I never run out of. I'm sure there are cheaper hosts.

Then there is the software. I use msFrontpage but my host offers free software. The good stuff will cost someone a nickel or two. Would Greg be willing even to invest the time to set up and maintain the site?

With a subcription side, you could watch Petunia real time if Puff bought a web cam!

There is potential with the idea. Those who choose not to pony up for the subscription side would still get what they get now.

I lost my crayon so I can't vote.

Enough half-dollars words for now.

I just have to say you guys don't seem to shop around very well for hosting. I just paid for a business site with domain name and everything I need for my own e commerce site for $65. That's a heck of a lot better than $20 a month (breaks down to a little over $5 a month)! It includes a mySQL database as well as many other features. And for those worried about credit cards, they even accept PayPal.

In future if anyone's looking for a hosting service, I'd be happy to share my source!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom