How many smokers do you need to compete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I am thinking about starting to compete in some of the smaller BBQ competitions here in AZ. I started thinking, how many smokers do you need to compete in a BBQ contest? I have a WSM and a Char Broil silver smoker (offset) and a uniflame charcoal grill. Is that enough to get started? Please share your opinions. Thanks!
:horse:

Your good to go! I have seen and heard of many checks and hardware going to the folks who use nouthing more than a WSM and a grill. Thats the thing of it, Any one at any time with any equipment can be a champion. Hell sunday night on the food network some folk picked up $12,000 cooking with pallets! I just hope they know where they came from.

KCBS you will have 4 meats to cook and there can be an Anything But and/or dessert. You have enough pits to get started.
Jim

It could be "pallets", I have heard of teams that take old pallets and break them up and use the wood. I would think he meant "pellets" but you never know.

It was Pellet Envy cooking with pellets ~ Just saw the replay :(

NEVER< NEVER< NEVER use pallets to cook with! They could've been used in the transport of any number of bad chemicals! A public service message.

My good friend Captain Morgan just got a 6th place finish using one, yes thats one(1), Weber Somkey Mountain. You might not send the entry fees to a MIM contest until you grow a little, but your fine for KCBS.

Good Q!

Jack

Thanks for bringing that up Jack!

I should warn folks that this contest was pork only (your choice of
whole hog or butts.)

Remember that many contests, including MIM and KCBS will require multiple meats, and I don't think you can get it all done with a single bullet in one of those types. Mad Momma uses multiple WSM's to beat the big boys on a regular basis. It can be done.

Back
Top Bottom