Hit and Miss Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I have seen H&M engines at several shows in recent years and find them to be really cool. I'm thinking of getting a 1 1/2 hp job.
Do any of you have experience with them?
I'm not a machinist. So rebuilding will be difficult. I can do a tear-down, clean up and repaint, but little part making.
It would be cool to have one run a rotisserie.
What do you know of them ??????

Go to a tractor show and you're likely to see a bunch of odd old engines, large and small, certainly including H&Ms.

--John
(There's lots of neat stuff at tractor shows.)

steam & gas engines

P7280081.JPG
[/img]

A hit and miss engine fires and spins a heavy wheel..when the rpm on said wheel slow down, the engine fires and sets the wheel aspinnen. This is opposed to an engine that fires constantly...

Why not use a small steam engine Rag? You already have a fire burning. You could mount a small boiler in your firebox & run it at 10 to 15 psi. 10 psi of steam will do a lot of work due to the design of the engine. Steam is injected on every piston movement, so its realy a 1 stroke engine.
I have a working live steam toy model & will do a video

There is a H&M Forester circa 1917 sitting about 50 feet from my front door. 575 cubic inch single cylindar engine. 460 RPM max. It was originally used in the oil fields of Wyoming. The feller that owns it just got done painting it. It is one loud SOB to be sure!

A four stroke by design, they only fire once per stroke. If it misses, the huge fly wheels keep the momentum going to the next stroke. Kind sound like a Hawg only firing on one cylindar.

This is a post I regret not being in the BR. :D
I found 2 clubs in my area that promote these little gems. I spoke with a couple of guys from one of them.....said parts are easy to get on all but rare models which means I can recondition a rusty one.
Gary posted a pic of exactly what I'm talking about.
JB, I'd blow my ass up with a steam engine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Some guys rig these engines up with ice cream churns. I can't do that or I would wind up being as fat as Uncle Bubba and Wittdog. :shock: :LOL:

Rag said:
Some guys rig these engines up with ice cream churns.

deerefreezer6.jpg

Seen at the Museum of Appalachia's 25th Annual Tennessee Fall Homecoming, October 2004 at Norris, Tennessee, that's a 1933 1-1/2 hp John Deere engine driving a 5-gal White Mountain churn.

--John
(Imagine 5 gallons of Uncle Ron's ice cream, Griff! :D )

Unity said:
Rag said:
Some guys rig these engines up with ice cream churns.

deerefreezer6.jpg

Seen at the Museum of Appalachia's 25th Annual Tennessee Fall Homecoming, October 2004 at Norris, Tennessee, that's a 1933 1-1/2 hp John Deere engine driving a 5-gal White Mountain churn.

--John
(Imagine 5 gallons of Uncle Ron's ice cream, Griff! :D )

Now that's purdy.. :D :D :D

Rag said:
This is a post I regret not being in the BR. :D
I found 2 clubs in my area that promote these little gems. I spoke with a couple of guys from one of them.....said parts are easy to get on all but rare models which means I can recondition a rusty one.
Gary posted a pic of exactly what I'm talking about.
JB, I'd blow my ass up with a steam engine :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Some guys rig these engines up with ice cream churns. I can't do that or I would wind up being as fat as Uncle Bubba and Wittdog. :shock: :LOL:

But nowhere near as good looking!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom