Hatch Chile Score

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
A friend at work visits Family in New Mexico every year during chile season and is kind enough to bring me home a bushel of chiles already roasted and separated. Here is this years haul!!

SCORE!!!! Love those things. A case don't last long around here long.
Good deal John.

Pigs

Great score. I was talking to a local from that part of the world not long back. He claimed Hatches were hard to find around Hatch...because they ship them all out to the rest of us. Glad you found some.

Around the third week in August, every grocery store (both of 'em!) and vacant lot along main street in our nearest little town has a roaster and a few dozen 40-pound bags of green chiles. Virtually all of 'em are from the Hatch-Deming harvest, and they are indeed fine chiles. Once those roasters crank up of a morning, the whole valley smells like heaven!

Before the Spaniards wandered into this area in the 1500's, the native Americans were growing them in the west sloes of the Sandia and Sangre de Christo Mountains. The very best of them were grown in a little area that would become what is now called Chimayo (CHI-my-oh). That's just the other side of the hill, so to speak, so I go over there to get mine. I'll roast up 60-80 pounds of them each September, pack 'em up somewhat like you see Vermin's plunder and stick them in the freezer. They generally last most of the way to the next harvest, but we are always glad to hear the chiles are getting close to ready! The Chimayo chiles have a little tougher skin and a slightly more earthy flavor, but I really like 'em. If you like green chiles and ever get the chance to get some from Chimayo, jump at it. Their chili powder is also fantastic, and you can find that online sometimes.

Wiley

Thanks for the Chimayo history. Have owned some of the ground version at one time trying to follow certain recipes. Do anybody around here ever go play around at Pendery's? Notice they have it. Can't brag enough on the quality of their spices. Their cumin will make you want to chunk rocks at the grocery store variant of the stuff. Chile Peppers, Spices, Explore Our Incredible Variety of Chili Pepper Products

Thanks for the heads-up about Pendry's, bigwheel. I just received an order from my normal purveyor of wondrous aromas and flavors, but will certainly check out their deal next time.

As for cumin, well, I always grind it from seeds. It is absolutely amazing to smell the difference between that grocery store variant you mentioned and freshly ground. Even if you don't really like cumin, freshly ground can quickly change your mind!

Wiley

Back
Top Bottom