Gumbo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
well I think I had gumbo in mind when I started.... I have no clue what the end result is called...but it SURE IS TASTY!

Tried some of my own Yankee Gumbo

I didn't get pics making it... made it between making supper last night... camera handling wasn't an option.

apprx. ingredients....shot from the hip

2 lbs. of Andoullie sausage (sliced)
1 whole stick of spicy peperoni (diced)
1&1/2 lbs. of self smoked chicken breasts (shredded)
a 1&1/2 lb. bag of large shrimp/mudbugs (cut to 1" pieces)
2 cups of salt pork ... it fried down toabout 1 cup (cubed)
5 large Jalepenos (diced)
a couple handfulls of okra
one large green pepper (diced)
2 large onions (diced)
about 10 cloves of fresh garlic (diced & some sliced)
around 4 cups of canned chicken broth
a couple large handfulls of rice
a heaping handful of barley
1 cup of regular sugar
about 2 cups or more of celery (sliced)
about 2 cups of butter/flour roux (homebuilt)
misc. dashes and dabs of pepper, salt, Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, chili powder, liquid smoke, etc...

boiled the andoullie, fried the onions, garlic, peppers, salt pork & pepperoni before mixing in

let it all go overnight in my 2 large slow cookers... added rice barley and shrimp this morning.... just had some........mmmmMMMMMM

nice slow burn that kinda sneaks up on ya... but goes away quickly making you want another spoonfull

img_82433_0_20588212f9e84437244cd4eb63f7f163.jpg

thank you all.... one cooker is nearly 2/3 gone (5 of us here)....the other I just put in the freezer.

My youngest (..8..) doesn't like hot stuff all that much, but will try just about anything...TWICE... He took a spoonfull, chewed a bit...got that familiar look on his face...then kind of a curious look...took another spoonfull....same thing..the look of "it's too spicy"..then came the "I think I want more " look...for a couple more spoonfulls before he decided it was too hot.

That kinda told me it was right on the line of tasting great but having a gooood slow burn. He's my best critic.

Doesn't matter what it is or what you call it, it has the 5 Major Food Groups;
Butter, Pork, Hot Sauce, Garlic, Sugar & Shrimp....ooops 6.

Looks Good!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom