Gumbo - Page 2 - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #21
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Buy this:

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_roux.html

I bought a case. You cannot make it better at home. Woody
I agree with Woodroux, that stuff is the best. After trying many times to make a dark roux and always thinking it tasted burnt, I got his stuff and never looked back.

Al
Does it work in a microwave? Roux is just like barbecue, it takes time and pratice.
__________________

__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #22
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Larry, you asked what to fix for us when we get together for the game. THAT looks like a winner. HINT, HINT.
__________________

__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

https://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #23
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
Larry, you asked what to fix for us when we get together for the game. THAT looks like a winner. HINT, HINT.
We'll see, I hope we're still on the game. I'll make something good for us though.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #24
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Buy this:

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_roux.html

I bought a case. You cannot make it better at home. Woody
Speak for yourself Woodchuck!

A good roux is like good BBQ, it's done when it's done. You rush it and you'll taste the consequences. You should make roux for a gumbo in a cast iron skillet (or equivalent weight wise) and heat it on low to med-low heat and constantly stir. It should take no less than 30 minutes. When it finally gets to a peanut butter color, you're done.

Why would you buy roux out of a bag? That would make Justin Wilson roll over in his grave! :thumbsdown
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #25
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Thats the one I got which was highly recommended by a real cajun. He say you got to be a cajun granny to make it yourself..otherwise buy the Sovie's. Now I got a story to tell about a restaurant down here which in my humble opinoyawn makes the best Gumbo of any place in town..and they dont even use a roux. The base is tomater sauce and a brand of File Gumbo made by Farmer's Brothers coffee company. Now I know File Gumbo is supposed to be ground sassafrass leaves and this stuff definitely got some of that stuff in there..but it has some other stuff too including tea and guar gum. Wonder whuts up with that?

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Buy this:

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_roux.html

I bought a case. You cannot make it better at home. Woody
I agree with Woodroux, that stuff is the best. After trying many times to make a dark roux and always thinking it tasted burnt, I got his stuff and never looked back.

Al
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #26
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Thats the one I got which was highly recommended by a real cajun. He say you got to be a cajun granny to make it yourself..otherwise buy the Sovie's
Either he's full of Cajun shit or he's smoking good Cajun crack. I can't imagine a Cajun recommending buying something out of a bag.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #27
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
First off Larry, it's in a jar. Second off, I have made my own roux MANY times and you are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen. Now some things, like salsa, or BBQ are better, but as far as I'm concerned, making your own roux is a HUGE waste of time that could be better spent smoking the duck breasts for the gumbo!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Well that just the way the Cajun splained it..Savoie be the only way to go. Fact I had to send a fella all the way over to Lewisville, TX to find the stuff at a cajun speciality shopppe. When he brought it back he had took a ball point pen and added a one to the price tag and say I owe him 13.50 instead of the 3.50 which it really cost. I just started handing him money till he tell me the joke. Them cajuns got a funny sense of humor huh?

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
First off Larry, it's in a jar. Second off, I have made my own roux MANY times and you are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen. Now some things, like salsa, or BBQ are better, but as far as I'm concerned, making your own roux is a HUGE waste of time that could be better spent smoking the duck breasts for the gumbo!
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #29
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
First off Larry, it's in a jar. Second off, I have made my own roux MANY times and you are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen. Now some things, like salsa, or BBQ are better, but as far as I'm concerned, making your own roux is a HUGE waste of time that could be better spent smoking the duck breasts for the gumbo!
I'll say it again. The gumbo woody made at oinktoberfest was out of this world! The smoked duck brought it all together. Fantastic chow, Sorry woody I didn't wash the cool porcelain bowl out when it was gone. I did manage to throw the plastic spoon away though.
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #30
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
You cannot make it better at home. Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
First off Larryyou are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen.
Dave do you always contradict yourself??

You're the one that said it couldn't be made better at home. I never said GIANT pan, I said a heavy pan to retain the low heat as to not over heat and burn the roux. Obviously you've had this problem before or you wouldn't have to buy your roux in a jar. [smilie=a_happyme.gif]

P.S., do you prefer the gravy that comes in a jar or the envelope packet? [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif]
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:47 AM   #31
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Wolfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
You cannot make it better at home. Woody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
First off Larryyou are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen.
Dave do you always contradict yourself??

You're the one that said it couldn't be made better at home. I never said GIANT pan, I said a heavy pan to retain the low heat as to not over heat and burn the roux. Obviously you've had this problem before or you wouldn't have to buy your roux in a jar. [smilie=a_happyme.gif]

P.S., do you prefer the gravy that comes in a jar or the envelope packet? [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif]
The gravy in the jar is much btter than the envelope!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #32
BBQ Central College


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raynham, MA
Posts: 483
I think of the jarred roux as an ingredient not unlike ketchup, salt, etc. Sure it's great to be able to say that you made the roux from scratch but the stuff in the jar is a hell of a lot more convenient. Way back when, cooks had to mill their own flour before making roux...stuff in the bag sure is easier. !!!!

Kind of like having to make your own ketchup every time you want a burger.

Al
__________________
www.wickedgoodbbq.com

The early bird might get the worm...but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Uncle Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #33
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Al
I think of the jarred roux as an ingredient not unlike ketchup, salt, etc. Sure it's great to be able to say that you made the roux from scratch but the stuff in the jar is a hell of a lot more convenient. Way back when, cooks had to mill their own flour before making roux...stuff in the bag sure is easier. !!!!

Kind of like having to make your own ketchup every time you want a burger.

Al
I'm sure it's easier, I'm not arguing that............ Dave is the one that said you couldn't make it better at home.

IMHO, the roux is what makes the Gumbo. I wouldn't have the satisfaction personally of just pouring something out of a jar into my gumbo. To each their own.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:35 AM   #34
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Finney's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Posts: 8,563
Home made catsup, mustard, and mayo are way better than store bought.
Of course, I'm not going to make that stuff everytime I need them. But they are better.
__________________
Chris

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #35
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
OK. How is it better made at home? I agree, you should try it once or twice to get the experience, but unless it is bringing something else to the party.......forget about making roux!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #36
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
OK. How is it better made at home? I agree, you should try it once or twice to get the experience, but unless it is bringing something else to the party.......forget about making roux!
I NEVER SAID IT WAS BETTER!!! I simply said "making the roux is what makes the gumbo". Meaning it's the time, thought, practice, heart of taking the time to make a good properly made roux yourself versus just using a store bought product. So yeah I think it does bring something to the party!

Store bought cookie dough tastes good, but would you call them "homemade" cookies? Store bought pizza dough is good, but not like you mixed it and hand tossed it yourself. Get my point now?

I'm not trying to argue about this, just saying I get more personally out of taking the additional time and practice doing certain things, the hard way. Not that making a roux is hard....... If you like what you're using for your roux, fine. That's all that matters.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #37
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
HOMO!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #38
God O'Que
 
Uncle Bubba's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boardman, Ohio
Posts: 2,689
Roux Schmoux(pronounced schmoo)

I just eat the gumbo that comes in a can...I think Campbell's or Progresso makes it. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
__________________
Uncle Bubba

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #39
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Roux Schmoux(pronounced schmoo)

I just eat the gumbo that comes in a can...I think Campbell's or Progresso makes it. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
I also heard you like sausage in the can also! :damnfunny
__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #40
God O'Que
 
Uncle Bubba's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boardman, Ohio
Posts: 2,689
[quote=Pigs On The Wing BBQ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Uncle Bubba":3u8jiute
Roux Schmoux(pronounced schmoo)

I just eat the gumbo that comes in a can...I think Campbell's or Progresso makes it. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
I also heard you like sausage in the can also! :damnfunny[/quote:3u8jiute]

Only on Tuesdays.
__________________

__________________
Uncle Bubba

"I'd rather be dead in my skin than be a fan of a Redskin."
Uncle Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×