Grits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grits are an aquired taste and when I was a kid my Dad aquired me to eat them and I Hated grits. Now I love them. Some add honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar to gradually learn to love it with just salt, pepper and butter. Instant grits will make you hate grits instantly. bletch.
Now have any of you ever tried or even heard of "mush"?

Raine, I just noticed your post about livermush and that is new to me. The mush I am talking about is fried grits. Good for the heart.

Mmmmmm.....

Roasted garlic cheese grits.
Topped with trinity(diced bell pep., onion and celery),
diced andouille and shrimp all sautee'd in clarified butter. :D

Good stuff.

If that won't teach ya to like grits,
I feel sorry for you.

Raine,
Livermush was practically a staple food when I was growing up in McDowell County. Last weekend my parents came to visit us, and brought a big chunk of the local product, Hunter's Liver Mush; the head of the company went to the same dinky little high school I attended. They don't sell theirs quite this far east, though I do see a couple of brands in the local stores around Winston-Salem.

As for grits, ever had yesterday's grits sliced and fried?

YardBurner said:
Mmmmmm.....

Good stuff.

I feel sorry for you.

YB, take those garlic cheese grits, put em in a pan and smoke em for 2 hours! YOWZA!

Nick, You are Italian aren't you? Ever eat Polenta? Same thing but it is from yellow corn while grits are from white! Eat em with Ham Drippings (red eye gravy) on them.

Woodman said:
YardBurner said:
Mmmmmm.....

Good stuff.

I feel sorry for you.

YB, take those garlic cheese grits, put em in a pan and smoke em for 2 hours! YOWZA!

Nick, You are Italian aren't you? Ever eat Polenta? Same thing but it is from yellow corn while grits are from white! Eat em with Ham Drippings (red eye gravy) on them.
Better throw some black coffee in there with those (country) ham drippings, or it ain't Red Eye.

Stop it your killin' me!

Who’s got a great recipe for fritters?!?

I've been testing recipes for several years trying to duplicate my grandmothers. I even weighed each ingredient as she scooped it into the bowl. No friggin’ luck!

She was from Tooms County, GA near Lyons.

I’ll try any old fritter recipe to see if we can come close.

Let’s dig out Gramma’s recipes.

While you’re in there poke around a bit and see if you come across any jewels!

-YardBurner

Woodman said:
Nick, You are Italian aren't you? Ever eat Polenta? Same thing but it is from yellow corn while grits are from white!
Actually grits are made with ground hominy. Polenta is made
with cornmeal, and yes you can have white polenta.

Raine said:
The quick grits aren't really quick, need to cook about 20 minutes or longer. However, they are quick compared to cooking stoned ground grits..

Buter, salt & pepper.

also mix in your over-easy egg or some livermush!

Raine,
Is livermush the same thing as liver pudding? I used to eat liver pudding for years when I lived in NC and haven't had or seen it since. I love the stuff. The stuff I'm referring to is very similar to scrapple minus the corn meal, but it was in a casing like a sausage. Is this the same stuff you're talking about? If so, do you know of any place that ships it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom