Griff's vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
My summer vacation started with a road trip to Fairbanks for my nephew's wedding. My nephew is a Koyukon Athabaskan and he married a G'witch'n Athabaskan. The wedding was fairly normal until a couple hours into the reception when the country western band played a Yukon River jig. The bride kicked off her high heels and put on a pair of beaded moose skin moccasins she and her grandmother made.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N05uDsIwh0o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N05uDsIwh0o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some of the deserts were traditional fish ice cream. This is made by mixing boiled and flaked whitefish with berries and Crisco. The berries pictured her are salmonberry, raspberry and mossberry. Personally, I don't care for it.

After the wedding my son, daughter-in-law, wife and I drove to Whitehorse, Yukon and flew into a lake for a week's fishing. Here's a pic of the lake lake and the drainage creek taken from the floatplane on the way in.

Our transportation.

This picture was taken at midnight. It doesn't get totally dark this time of year.

This is me and a small lake trout.

The same fish had an appearance at dinner.

Our cabin and boat dock.

The beer selection on Canada Day.

My son and daughter-in-law,

Me with an arctic grayling.

Arctic grayling for dinner and in the pan.

A hillside covered with blooming fireweed.

Very nice... Looks like a perfect vacation..time with family and fishing. Dont get much better...

What a great vacation! I am green with envy. Wouldn't mind trying the fish icecream . . . at least just to say I'd tried it ; )

Beautiful

You are a fortunate man. I can not imagine what a place like that looks like in person. Thank you for the pics. Are those grayling hard to turn in current with that big dorsal fin?

Griff, you really live in God's Country. My God those are beautiful pic's!!! I've never seen a fish like those with the big fin, coooool!

Looks fantastic Griff. The photo's of the lake are beutiful.

One question though. Why is everyone in long sleeve shirts? lol

My summer is complete.....I got to see Griff's vacation pics.
What fly and presentation did you use?

Rag said:
My summer is complete.....I got to see Griff's vacation pics.
What fly and presentation did you use?

Rag, just about any small dark dry fly presented in a dead drift works. Although sometimes they hit at the end of the drift when the fly starts to make a V on the surface. Once I had my rod resting on the gunnel of the boat with the fly dangling 3-4 inches out of the water and a grayling jumped up and took it. They are a really easy fish to catch. And great to eat but you need to eat them within a couple houirs of killing them.

Griff said:
No. I rented it from the outfitter that flew us in. It's the only cabin on the lake.

Thats awesome. How the hell did you get 5 people in that plane? haha that was probably the ultimate adventure! :shock: :D

Back
Top Bottom