Got the goods BKnox ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I got the goods this morning in the mail.. I guess it's time to give them a cuisine test... Have any ideas BKnox? I have never cooked a pork butt yet.. I guess that would be a place to start, right Gomer? Do I ask the butcher for a pork butt? Is there another name too? How many people will one feed? This should start a hot topic I hope... I know who is going to answer first too... :D

A pork butt will either be a Boston Butt or a Picnic Butt. Either is good and folks will argue both sides. Most butts average about 7 lbs I guess and if you get say 65% yield you have about 4.5lbs of cooked meat. If you make 1/4lbs sammys you'll get close to 18 sammys or feed about 6-8 people.

Sapo, you've never cooked a pork butt?? Do you have a BJ's or a Sam's down there? That would be cheaper than the butcher.

Ask for a Boston butt (bone in).

Sapo if you do a butt....it's been my experience that on a smaller offset the you will need to flip it for it to cook evenly...

Greg Rempe said:
Sapo, you've never cooked a pork butt?? Do you have a BJ's or a Sam's down there? That would be cheaper than the butcher.

Ask for a Boston butt (bone in).
We have a Sam's club here.. I'll check there first...

wittdog said:
Sapo if you do a butt....it's been my experience that on a smaller offset the you will need to flip it for it to cook evenly...
Ok cool, I'll remember that... Thank ya!!

Make up a batch of sauce from a recipe provided by a mod on another forum. I use it for injecting and apply some while pulling butts. Inject the butt while it's still wrapped, that way it will not fly all over. After that rub the butt with some Worcestershire sauce then apply your favorite Wolfe rub. I do butts & beef in an extremely well insulated Smokin Tex (Read that to mean it holds moisture very well) at 225º. They always take 2 hours + per pound to reach an internal temp of 195º. Foil, wrap in newspaper, and into a cooler for at least one hour; they will stay very hot for a lot longer if need be.

SmokinOkies Basting & serving Sauce

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Heat all of the ingredients in a non-reactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min. (makes about 5 cups)

Sam's should have them...2 in a cyro vac....and for the flipping I don't know how your pit cooks but with mine...the bigger cuts are affected more..it's not an issue with ribs or chicken but moreso with butts and brisket ;)

Mike Hedrick said:
A pork butt will either be a Boston Butt or a Picnic Butt. Either is good and folks will argue both sides. Most butts average about 7 lbs I guess and if you get say 65% yield you have about 4.5lbs of cooked meat. If you make 1/4lbs sammys you'll get close to 18 sammys or feed about 6-8 people.
Cool Mike.. One will be enough for us and the nextdoor neighbors.. I'm getting excited to try this out.. Nobody cooks those down here.. It's always, brisket, fajitas, and chicken and ribs.. I'm going to freak the neighbors out I hope... So yall put coleslaw on them too? I better start reading up on this operation.... I took friday off to have a 4 day weekend.... ;)

I'm doing 1 this weekend SS if you can wait. Butts are super easy Lyndon just apply a heavy rub to the outside Inject if ya want to, also follow everyones addvice There all Butt-perts ;)

Yeah and I'm gonna be doing about 16 of them tomorrow night too so I'll try and help ya too. Butts are a standard and you will do just fine bro from the other cooking I seen ya do. Best part about cooking butts all night is a 3am Pop and the moonlite and smell of hickory and pork. ummmmmmm

Man, I feel like calling work and taking tonight off too.. I'm going to chill out with my dogs and listen to oldies while watching my remote thermometer to sound at the right temp.. So, what about the coleslaw bit on the sammy? Recipes please.... [smilie=icon_deal.gif]

wittdog said:
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=3365&start=0
Bunch o Slaw recipes. ;)
Thanks Wittdog... I'm going to try to make some pickles too.... 8)

surfinsapo said:
wittdog said:
Bunch o Slaw recipes. ;)
Oh man that hurt :cry: ..they are coming....I promise...I just got to figure out how to get them there so they aren't glass flavored pickles :D
Trust me you aren't going to want to share em anyway

wittdog said:
surfinsapo said:
wittdog said:
Bunch o Slaw recipes. ;)
Oh man that hurt :cry: ..they are coming....I promise...I just got to figure out how to get them there so they aren't glass flavored pickles :D
Trust me you aren't going to want to share em anyway
No, I really want to make some.. I want to put some of those little peppers with them to make them Hotter than Heck!!...I have made pickeld peppers before and they Rocked.... :D

Look for Cappys cole slaw post he has about a dozen different recipes for slaw. I just make it with what I like Mayo Hot sauce garlic horse raddish ect...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom