General question about bbq Competitions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Can anyone compete in any competition. Sorry if its a stupid question but ive never entered in one and plan on doin at least 1 this summer here in clorado or MAYBE and thats a BIG maybe in Kansas. Thanks for the help. db

Nice, kinda what i thought but havent really read up on it as much as i prob. should have. Thanks for the response!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":16p0ao1t]Pony up the entry fee and you're good to go!
Yup. All ya need is CASH! :LOL: It's a blast! Beware the dudes with booze at 2:00 3:00 AM! ;) :roll: :LOL:

Pigs[/quote:16p0ao1t]

When the hell did you ever make 2:00am at a comp???? :roll: :LOL:

Uncle Bubba said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":j6uqmz1a][quote="Greg Rempe":j6uqmz1a]Pony up the entry fee and you're good to go!
Yup. All ya need is CASH! :LOL: It's a blast! Beware the dudes with booze at 2:00 3:00 AM! ;) :roll: :LOL:

Pigs[/quote:j6uqmz1a]

When the hell did you ever make 2:00am at a comp???? :roll: :LOL:[/quote:j6uqmz1a]
Think it was 2:05 or 2:06 a few years back at Oink. I still have to thank wittdog for waking my butt up. I swear, if he had a baseball bat, he would have used it. What a train wreck I was. :roll: Damn Knob Creek :LOL:

Pigs

wittdog said:
Cash..and other $hit...eazy up...coolers...ect..

Speaking of ez up.....10 foot or 12 foot....I was gonna get the 12 just cuz its bigger but arent most spaces at the events 10 foot? thanks.

I remember the agonizing decision about whether or not
to enter my first comp. it was one category only...butts.
I loaded up my pickup and my wsm and went. Teams were
pulling up around me with pits bigger than my truck, big
tents, lots of decorations. in the middle of the night, I almost
left.

I came in 6th. Cooked another comp with a team, and entered
another comp under my own name. Came in 1st.

Don't be afraid. The main thing is to have fun. learn, but have fun.
It is addicting.

Captain Morgan said:
I remember the agonizing decision about whether or not
to enter my first comp. it was one category only...butts.
I loaded up my pickup and my wsm and went. Teams were
pulling up around me with pits bigger than my truck, big
tents, lots of decorations. in the middle of the night, I almost
left.

I came in 6th. Cooked another comp with a team, and entered
another comp under my own name. Came in 1st.

Don't be afraid. The main thing is to have fun. learn, but have fun.
It is addicting.

Now I know why they call you Captain! Oh man 6th place? I'd $hit my pants if I got top 25. Pretty much lookin forward to goin and meetin people who enjoy the samething I do.....and then there is the beer thing too! :D

Well like the man say it a highly addictive and pruty danged expunsive hobby. It just like any other hobby in that the mo you do it the betta at it you get. If you ever want to check the stats most of them who wins a lot cooks a lot. Know some which cooks 40-50 weeks a year. They tend to be real hard to beat for those who cook only a few times a year. Now a person may knock off a few on isolated occasions but over a years time span the big boys/grils will kick booty over duffers 90% of the time or thereabouts. If a person got extry money and just plan to come out and have fun and donate thats a good plan. I always thought it be a good idear to handicap the hobby sorta like they do golf. Not sure how it could work but sure some smart dude.dudette be able to figger it out. Would have to come up with some way to keep em from just rotating a crew of top ranked cooks through there and claiming to be a newcomer etc. Its a lot easier to do on a mo personal level rather than teamwise. For example in Metallic Silhouette Pistol Shooting..they break down in classes like this:
New Shooter
Intermediate
Advanced
Exspurt (may be lying about that one but they should have it)
A person only competes with others in his/her class. Course with BBQ it would sure take a lot of judges..less they made it People's Choice. Yeah thats the ticket..People's Choice but then there is a lot of flaws in that strategy too. The locals have all their buddies show up and pick them etc. Let's give it some thought and repoat back.

bigwheel

I agree with BW, and it ain't the first time he's said it. In fact, I think
he switched to chili contests for that reason.

Anyway, you want to consistently win, you gonna have to travel around
and see what the judges like. Note the regions and the sanctioning body.
And if you want to do that, be prepared to spend a ton of money.
It's gotten completely away from a backyard sport. Hell comps
are shown on national tv now.

I'm lucky in that I live where there are several non-sanctioned events close to me. But you can finish last in a small comp just as fast as
a big one. Just do it, and enjoy the success you have.

Thats my plan, Just do it and have fun.......I would love to win however i dont think i have enough experience/know how & judgement of judges to walk in and win or keep winning. I am a firm believer in PERFECT practice makes perfect. I very reputable coin magician tought me that once & I have tried to stick with that. Unfortunatly I'm not completely familiar with the cooking practices of competition cooking so everything I do is kinduv a guess. I cant wait to get their and open a cold beer and then be stressed out.. :P :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom