frittata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Our son-in-law likes to cook breakfasts with a flair, so we got him a 10" Calphalon frittata pan for Christmas. As we hoped, we had a frittata for next day's brunch.

Gadget Reporter said:
According to Wikipedia "A frittata is a type of Italian omelette that frequently features fillings such as meats, cheeses, and vegetables. Like a traditional French omelette, a frittata is prepared in a skillet."

The Calphalon One Nonstick Frittata Pan allows you to make a frittata by just flipping the pan. Actually, the pan is really two pans with interlocking handles. “Both infused-anodized aluminum pieces have nonstick interiors for effortless release and cleaning. You can also use the base pan as a fry or omelet pan; the top pan is perfect for making crepes. Oven and broiler safe to 500°F. Hand-wash. 10" diam. overall.
img51m.jpg

The test frittata featured sausage with a nice spiciness, provalone cheese, asiago cheese, parmesan cheese, garlic, peppers, onions, and a dozen smallish eggs (recipe called for ten). (I'll see if I can get the recipe back and post it.)

Ready for the eggs and cheeses.
frittata1.jpg

As the egg begins to set, you move around the outside lifting the edge and tilting to let uncooked egg flow underneath. Turn after ~6 min.
frittata2.jpg

Oil the top pan, join them, and turn. Let cook ~6 min. on the second side.
frittata3.jpg

Slide it onto a plate for dividing into servings. It doesn't show at this angle, but this baby was about 1 1/2" thick, perfectly cooked, and very good.
frittata4.jpg

--John
(Four eager eaters, and still there was a little bit left. I wish I had it now -- I'd warm it up, toast some bread, and make it into a sandwich.)

Here's the recipe. There's about a dozen more frittata recipes on the Williams-Sonoma site.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen said:
Tre Formaggi Frittata with Sausage

Ingredients:

10 eggs
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3 oz. Asiago cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 oz. Provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 tsp. olive oil, plus more for brushing
2 Creminelli sausages, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 cup thinly sliced green onions, both white and light green portions
1/4 cup finely diced roasted red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Directions:

In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, then whisk in the pepper and cheeses. Set aside.

In the deep half of a frittata pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1 tsp. olive oil. Add the sausages and cook until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Discard all but 1 tsp. of the fat in the pan.

Reduce the heat to medium, add the green onions and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sausages and egg mixture and cook, using a rubber spatula to gently lift the cooked edges and allow the uncooked eggs to flow underneath, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking until the eggs begin to set, about 4 minutes more.

Set the shallow half of the frittata pan over medium-low heat and brush lightly with olive oil. Place the shallow pan upside down on top of the deep pan and flip the frittata into the shallow pan. Cook, covered, until the eggs are set, about 6 minutes.

Gently shake the pan to loosen the frittata and slide it onto a serving plate. Serves 8 to 10.
--John

I've bought a lot of pans/pots...and thrown away a lot too.
I stopped throwing them away when I bought Calphalon's. (well except for the Lincon/WearEver's and Vollrath's)

Love the pan and I would love to get one, just wish they were a little cheaper. Can't justify spending the money at the moment so I'll need to stick with omelets the old fashioned way. I'll keep my eyes out for any sales. Cool gadget and thanks for sharing.

Great point Nick. The Boy is making Omelets. To be a legal Friatta it got to be cooked in the oven. I think you might also have to be Eyetalian or part maybe. Smart thinning there Senor Queeks Draw:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom