First Time ABTs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rev.Jr.

Senior Cook
So I've got "boys" weekend coming up this Fri-Sun. at the lake. Bunch of old frat brothers get together once a year (been doing this 20+ years). Friday night is my night to cook. Doing pulled pork, rice and red eyed gravy, coleslaw, etc., Did a trial run on some ABTs this past Saturday. Now I see what the big deal is! Man, those were good.. Should be a huge hit this weekend. Do have one question to throw out there. Tried out some lump charcoal this weekend (Cowboy brand). Don't know if it was just me, or if I didn't do something right,(used my Weber chimney as usual) but was very disappointed. Is it supposed to burn extremely quick? Also seemed to have way more ashes floating around. Any comments?

Lump burns quicker and hotter than charcoal. Do what you're comfortable with when company's coming over. Less ash to clean up with lump though.

Oh Crap Captain, I got to disagree with you on this one. Although true sometimes, But not always the case. Depends on your size of the pit and air intake.Lump will burn hotter due to the fact that most people don't adjust the air intake from briquettes that take more air for combustion.Ever damp down a briquette fire and smell the coal tar stink? (that's what they use as a binder) Just as bad as lighter fluid IMHO. I'm a lump head. Two different fuels. Just as if log burning is a whole different game also. My .2 cents.

I guess I should have stated I was using my Weber One Touch Gold. Used a full chimney. Put all the coals on one side. Was cooking about 8 NY strips. Pretty much seered both sides, then moved them to the other side of grill to finish. By the time I pulled them off there didn't seem to be ANY hot coals left.

Sounds 'bout right to me.

A chimney of lump in a free burn enviroment
goes pretty quickly. Unless you've got some
rather large chunks.

I'll usually lay a 1/2 unlit chimney down and dump
a full lit chimney on top. Just be sure not to waste too
much burn time in the chimney. Once you see some lit edges
in the upper level dump 'em, rake 'em and get cooking.

Thanks, guys. I'll just keep experimenting with my coals. In the meantime, my kids think I'm cooking some of the greatest meals ever. They had never had stuff cooked with charcoal. Thanks for the inspiration to go back "old school."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom