Fire!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Forgive me if this is a re-post from somewhere in the past
but I just learned this today

Never EVER throw flour or sugar on a grease fire to smother
it out

I have always been told a grease fire needs smothering....
ie: a lid, a wet rag, baking soda, salt etc...

But if sugar or flour is used .... one cup of either on a grease
fire is equivelant to 2 sticks of dynamite!

Someone sent me an email with a video attached showing this, It went up like an atom bomb engulfed the whole kitchen in a fireball

Also in sugar mills, there is no smoking because of the danger of an explosion. According to the reports I've seen, they think that sugar dust built up and static electricty caused the explosion at the sugar plant in Savannah, GA a few months ago.
Nationally, more than 120 grain silo, sugar plant and food processing employees have been killed by 300 dust explosions over the past 30 years.

http://wjz.com/local/domino.sugar.plant.2.649807.html

As a teenager working for a floor sander, I was sent out behind the house to empty the sanded bags. I did this over a trash fire. I WON'T DO THAT AGAIN :shock: :LOL:

I find it is best to avoid grease fires. In my experience, the best way to extinguish a fire, is to fall asleep. It will be out when you wake up! ;) :roll:

Went to take a whizz at a hog cook about five years ago and came out to a grease fire. Moron customers were throwing paper plates in my pit! When I slammed the lid down,(from the back with a coal rake) It put the huge fire out but it sucked in the sides and burned all the paint off. NEVER EVER leave a direct pit open! That's why I padlock mine now. His bill of fair went up $1000.00 that day and I left it there. Next day he called and apologized. I got my dough, but what a PITA it was to straighten out. It still has a bow in the front. Stupid public. NEVER take your eye off them, or be sure to have a pit guard on hand to watch idiots. :roll:

From what I have read, I think there may be confusion between flour and sugar and BAKING SODA . BTY if you have a Webber kettle or such you have a perfect lid to smother a fire.

THINGS HAPPEN VERY QUICKLY WITH A FIRE, AND YOU DON'T HAVE A LOT OF TIME TO THINK, SO ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN IN THE BACK OF YOUR MIND. ALWAYS REMEMBER EXACTLY WHERE YOUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER IS LOCATED. ( Of course you do have a fire extinguisher don't you?)

CALL 911 FIRST. If you put the fire out first, then you can share the Q with the firemen and thank them for their prompt responce. ;)

You might be able to extinguish a grease fire on the stove in several different ways. The simplest way is to place a lid on the pan and the fire should suffocate. A large amount of baking soda can also be used to extinguish a grease fire. Once you have the fire extinguished, don't forget to turn off the burner. But if the flames are too high, don't risk getting burned.

How to Put Out a Grease Fire

Don't be caught unprepared when cooking in the kitchen. If you are working with grease or oil, it is critical that you know what to do in the event it catches fire. Should you ever find yourself faced with a grease fire in your kitchen, follow these steps to ensure that it is extinguished quickly and safely.

Step 1:
Place a metal lid over the flame. Do not use glass since the heat from the fire can cause it to break.

Step 2:
Smother the fire with a liberal amount of baking soda if it is relatively small and contained. Try finding a lid if possible. Because it requires so much baking soda to extinguish a fire, a lid is faster and generally more effective than baking soda.

Step 3:
Spray the fire with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher. Use this method if it is your only option, because it will ruin food and contaminate kitchen dishes and utensils.

Step 4:
Use a Class K wet chemical fire extinguisher if it is available. Though more effective for extinguishing large grease fires, these are generally found only in commercial settings.

Step 5:
Call 911 immediately if the fire is not quickly extinguished or if it grows too large to be controlled.

Back
Top Bottom