Famous Daves BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
The cooker was probably a Southern Pride.
I've eaten there, it's pretty good for a chain.

Not as good as you can make at home but for a chain, not too shabby. They make some pretty decent sauces.

They opened one in Simi Valley and we ate there for the first time last weekend. I had the hot link sausage sandwich and it was good but nothing special. My boy had the chopped pork sandwich and he said it was on the dry side, nothing like his dads :D My wife had a burger and she said it was pretty good but the one thing she really liked was the coleslaw. All in all it was good and I will go there again but for dinner so I can try the ribs and brisket.

If any of you want a real treat...try the Bread Pudding for dessert it is to die for!!!!!!!!

Stogie said:
I'm with the others! Not bad for a fairly large chain.

They do ribs right.....they use a real smoker and they take their time cooking them. I have eaten most of the items on the menu and the only knock I had was the pulled pork had several pockets of fat. That is because they do not have the time to hand pull and take out the large pieces of fat that are still inside a finished pork butt.

I truly believe it is impossible to compare these chains to anything all of us cook. They cannot afford the time to "babysit" their products like we all do. They serve up LOTS of meat EVERYDAY and for that they deserve some credit.

This is my gripe with some of the "elitist" attitude I see amongst the folks on these forums. They will say "I never foil, it ruins the bark." I say try cooking 30 to 50 cuts of meat , getting them done and held for service all at the same time without foil! You can cook some damn fine Q if you are doing 3 butts and a brisket. Try doing the same with 30 and 20!! Funny thing is, they still tell me, it is the best they ever ate.......even though the bark is mushy! Very good points Stogie! I will have a La Gloria Cubana Charlemagne in your honor.

Woodman said:
Stogie said:
I'm with the others! Not bad for a fairly large chain.

They do ribs right.....they use a real smoker and they take their time cooking them. I have eaten most of the items on the menu and the only knock I had was the pulled pork had several pockets of fat. That is because they do not have the time to hand pull and take out the large pieces of fat that are still inside a finished pork butt.

I truly believe it is impossible to compare these chains to anything all of us cook. They cannot afford the time to "babysit" their products like we all do. They serve up LOTS of meat EVERYDAY and for that they deserve some credit.

This is my gripe with some of the "elitist" attitude I see amongst the folks on these forums. They will say "I never foil, it ruins the bark." I say try cooking 30 to 50 cuts of meat , getting them done and held for service all at the same time without foil! You can cook some damn fine Q if you are doing 3 butts and a brisket. Try doing the same with 30 and 20!! Funny thing is, they still tell me, it is the best they ever ate.......even though the bark is mushy!

Getting food off in time to rest and be prepared for a crowd is an art in of itself. You really learn shortcuts when you do this and yes, the response from customers is extremely positive, even with softer bark, which I like better anyways.

We enjoy Famous Dave's once in a while. I don't think I've ever had anything except ribs, which come to the table cut (sometimes from different racks). Sides are pretty good. We generally prefer Red, Hot & Blue to Dave's. A place near us called Memphis BBQ closed recently. No big loss.

--John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom