Dessert come first today - 1-1-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Got some baby backs on the WSM and decided to make a Rum Cake.. Can out killer....
dsc036211021734ty7.jpg

dsc036311168801mc8.jpg

dsc036411248797es1.jpg

Cake:
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 18 1/2 oz. pkg. Yellow cake mix
1 3 3/4 oz. pkg. Vanilla instant
pudding & pie filling
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. Vegetable oil *
1/2 c. Myers's Rum

Glaze:
1 stick butter (1/4 lb)
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/4 to 1/2 c. Myers's Rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a
10" tube or 12" bundt pan.* Sprinkle nuts over
bottom of pan.* Mix next six cake ingredients.
[After moistened, beat on high for 2 minutes.]
Pour batter over nuts. Bake 1 hour* and cool.
Invert onto serving plate.*

GLAZE: Melt butter, stir in water and sugar and
boil 5 min. stirring constantly. Remove from heat,
stir in rum slowly Prick cake top to bottom and
drizzle glaze on top and sides, allowing cake to
absorb glaze. Repeat until glaze is gone.

Great job Sapo. Ya know about the drunkest driver I ever seen in my life was a seasoned citizen lady about 80 who was in the process of making a rum cake. Had to make a run to the store because she forgot something. Whew..she was driving bad. She twanged the breathalyzer as them things was called back in them days..with twanging meaning she spun the dial way aroun past low..and medium and was all the way over into Hot. I axed her politely, "How did you get so drunk?" She say, "Well I was at home making a rum cake and decided to just have a few sips of rum outta the bottle." Made sense to me:) Think she wound up with a courtesy transport back home. The moral of the story is..don't let this happen to you. Dont eat too much of that cake either..it could work the same way.

bigwheel

mar52 said:
That looks mighty nice, but why's the slice so thin?
Because I am going to eat the whole thing and want to savor the flavor... :D

Well Senor Griff mi Amigo..it depend on how you make the cake:) Some are allowed to simmer for years in various versions of the debils jurine after cooking which I dont think gonna influence the alchyhol content toward the low side. Think maybe you best stick with wrestling eskimoke ladies and having marital relatiions wth Polar Bears. Now I did not read Sapo's recipe too close cuz I already had it figgered out he was burning up and wasting all that good hooch. Now I can deliver you a Rum cake which would make a normal person drunk. Now is you normal? That is the question:)

bigwheel

This cake the rum baked out.. My last one would get you drunk but it didn't taste so good. :D

Point well taken. If you bake and then soak it with booze, it's a whole different thing. Although I'm of the opinion that pouring good booze on a cake is a waste.

Griff said:
Point well taken. If you bake and then soak it with booze, it's a whole different thing. Although I'm of the opinion that pouring good booze on a cake is a waste.

Amen to that! I'd rather have a drink with a piece of cake. What would happen if you didn't like the cake? You could always keep drinking your drink! :LOL: ;)

Nick Prochilo said:
Griff said:

Amen to that! I'd rather have a drink with a piece of cake. What would happen if you didn't like the cake? You could always keep drinking your drink! :LOL: ;)

Exactly. :LOL: :LOL:

Griff said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Griff said:

Exactly. :LOL: :LOL:

See Puff, that's great minds thinking alike! 8) ;)

Back
Top Bottom