Cross Contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
Question for you all. I'm cooking three racks of spares and a brisket today on my WSM. I was planning on placing the spares in my rib rack on top and the brisket on the bottom rack. Do I need to be concerned about cross contamination with the juices from the spares dripping onto the brisket? Thanks.

I may get spanked for this, but you should be ok. Only time I freak out is when poultry is involved. Every year I get a call to stuff a whole hog with chickens. No way in hell I'm doing that deal. But I have seen it done. Didn't eat any, but have seen it done. :shock:

as long as you're not stuffing poultry into something else, all
drippings will be fine....it takes a safe temp to get fat to render,
so the germs should be killed when they hit the other meat.
The only caveat is that you cook all meats to temp.

Here's my 2 cents. Pigs is right. Especially with the chicken thing...wow.
The guts of the problem is juices spent in the temp zone of 40* to 140* for an extended time. The cross contamination (this is in my opinion) is where work is done on a cutting board (elapsed time here), then without cleaning, go onto another meat. This means the first meat's juice has now spent extended time in the temp danger zone and bad things develop. Beef mixing with chicken does not produce anything nasty. It's time vs temp.
Chickens have more bacteria to start with and need more care with the danger temp zone.
I'll shut up now. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom