College Football - Who Will Play In The BCS Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kloset BBQR said:
surfinsapo said:
U.S.C. And L.S.U.

Are still the best 2 teams..... :D

I would agree but only if your talking about teams in the 2 loss universe. These teams had their chance blew it not once but twice, time to move on.
If I move on them I will become a fair weather fan... I will root for the players and hope they make the pros!!!! :)

Kloset BBQR said:
surfinsapo said:
U.S.C. And L.S.U.

I would agree but only if your talking about teams in the 2 loss universe. These teams had their chance blew it not once but twice, time to move on.

We'll find out about USC on New Year's Day now won't we?

Woodman said:
Kloset BBQR said:
surfinsapo said:
U.S.C. And L.S.U.

We'll find out way before that... They play UCLA still.. they beat Sc last year.. It's pay back time...!!!!.. :shock:

surfinsapo said:
Woodman said:
Kloset BBQR said:
surfinsapo said:
U.S.C. And L.S.U.

We'll find out way before that... They play UCLA still.. they beat Sc last year.. It's pay back time...!!!!.. :shock:

First thing let me declare that I'm a LSU diehard fan. I think we need a playoff system. If Ohio State played in the SEC they would have lost two to three games this year. What a pasty shcedule they play. I do agree that USC and LSU are the two best teams in the country. How can anyone say Georgia they didn't even make it to the SEC Championship. It's still on my mind how Flordia beat the crap out of Ohio State last year and I think they were better last year.
Just my 2 cents.

Geaux Tigers

Good golly! I hope we get LSU!!!! I am so sick of hearing about them and the SEC!!!! If we lose then, hell, I guess they are better. If we win, I'm sure we'll be hearing about how the best team is STILL LSU and they were just worn out by playing such a tough SEC schedule!!!! I was really hoping for a WVU / OSU game . They are our neighbor, (and I'm certain we could have beat them.)

Big Mike said:
looks like it will be Ohio State and Georgia.

Can't see how a conference runnerup gets the nod over a conference champion but strange things happen in the BCS.

To show you how absurd the current system is think about this. The SEC has a playoff system. But they leave out their highest ranked team and Tennesee gets the nod ranked #14th I believe and still almost beats LSU while #4 Georgia stays home and watches. Should Georgia be penalized for this? No but they probably will. So even with a conference playoff system bad things happen.

Bruce B said:
The way things are going I'm still holding out hope for Michigan. :LOL: :LOL:

If the season had another week Bruce and some more conference playoffs your might be there!

There will be a bowl game for Michigan for sure, just have to wait and see how it all sorts it self out tonight.

Woodman said:
Good golly! I hope we get LSU!!!! I am so sick of hearing about them and the SEC!!!! If we lose then, hell, I guess they are better. If we win, I'm sure we'll be hearing about how the best team is STILL LSU and they were just worn out by playing such a tough SEC schedule!!!! I was really hoping for a WVU / OSU game . They are our neighbor, (and I'm certain we could have beat them.)
The system we have is not a good one IMO. I still think we need a playoff system. Remember in 03 when LSU won the BCS and the sports writers still gave USC the championship. Right now I think USC is playing the best football and I'n not a USC fan. Like you said the highest ranked team did not even make the SEC championship game so that shows us the system we have is not a good one.

I think all of us agree that the current system sucks. Thats been debated and agreed upon as long as I can remember. Heck I can remember when Nixon stirred up a bunch of crap back in 69 or 70 when he proclaimed Texas #1 and all the howling that caused!

The problem is the bowl system creates tons of money for the colleges, the tv networks and there is tremendous resisitence to let that go. Our opinion unfortunately doesn't count. As long as the Big Bowl games sell out for exorbitant ticket prices and big tv ratings there is no driver to change the system.

Possible Playoff System

I think the best hope for a playoff system in college football would be to originally try to keep it as simple as possible while still trying to open it up to lets say 8 teams. You could work within the top four existing BCS Bowl games, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, & Orange Bowls and rotate annually as to which one would host the national championship game with the championship game being the dead week before the Super Bowl so that the Big College Game could get all the media hype to itself. You could use some of the second tier bowls in the first rounds (you would have four bowl games), the second round would have two bowl games and the final round would be the national championship game hosted by one of the big 4 mentioned above. The one problem I see with the above is that it renders all the other bowl games obsolete, which is pretty much what we have now any way, isn't it, so that would be a lame argument. It would extend the college season but you could make some of that up by dropping the conference championship playoffs that you have now. After 12 games you should know who the top 8 teams in the country are anyway. Sure teams will still be cut out but hey I'd like to see this system given a try. If it works the system could always be doubled to include 16 teams which only extends the playoffs one extra game or instead of that a bye system could be implemented to extend invitations to wildcard teams and extend the field to 10 or 12 teams. That way the bowl system could be preserved and there would be a lot more excitement in college football and teams could control their destiny more in the determination of who the national champion in college football was. A selection committe would pair the teams much like they do in the college basketball tournament based on a seeding system with the hopes that the number #1 seed and #2 seed
ultimately meet but we all know that more than half the fun is rooting for the upsets.

What do you think. Do you think this could work? What are the flaws with this system?

Re: Possible Playoff System

Kloset BBQR said:
I think the best hope for a playoff system in college football would be to originally try to keep it as simple as possible while still trying to open it up to lets say 8 teams. You could work within the top four existing BCS Bowl games, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, & Orange Bowls and rotate annually as to which one would host the national championship game with the championship game being the dead week before the Super Bowl so that the Big College Game could get all the media hype to itself. You could use some of the second tier bowls in the first rounds (you would have four bowl games), the second round would have two bowl games and the final round would be the national championship game hosted by one of the big 4 mentioned above. The one problem I see with the above is that it renders all the other bowl games obsolete, which is pretty much what we have now any way, isn't it, so that would be a lame argument. It would extend the college season but you could make some of that up by dropping the conference championship playoffs that you have now. After 12 games you should know who the top 8 teams in the country are anyway. Sure teams will still be cut out but hey I'd like to see this system given a try. If it works the system could always be doubled to include 16 teams which only extends the playoffs one extra game or instead of that a bye system could be implemented to extend invitations to wildcard teams and extend the field to 10 or 12 teams. That way the bowl system could be preserved and there would be a lot more excitement in college football and teams could control their destiny more in the determination of who the national champion in college football was. A selection committe would pair the teams much like they do in the college basketball tournament based on a seeding system with the hopes that the number #1 seed and #2 seed
ultimately meet but we all know that more than half the fun is rooting for the upsets.

What do you think. Do you think this could work? What are the flaws with this system?
Kloset you and I are thinking alot alike. I just didn't want to type that much.

Big Mike said:
The other thing is, I don't know if the universities really want a playoff system because they get a chunk of money for the school if they play in a bowl. So, if you cut out the bowls or even reduce the number of bowls, fewer schools would get that chunk of money.

I mentioned that as an impediment in the post above my solution. In fact it's even worse than you suggest. The universities share in the revenue of their conference members that get into the Bowl games. That's why Notre Dame has never wanted to be part of a conference. They were able to keep all of their share of the Bowl revenue as well as their TV package deal they cut with NBC for themselves. Teams that actually made the Bowls had to pay for their travel and their expenses while sharing bowl revenue with other conference members and although the formula is a closely guarded secret it is possible for those that make the bowls to make less money on the trip than those that stay home. The dividend pays off the following year in recruiting efforts and off course alumni donations.

Bottom line, an NFL type playoff system could easily be implemented using the current Bowl infrastructure. Will it ever happen? Probably not. Why? To much politics and greed and self interest will prevent it from happening.

But it sure would be great if it could!

Here's everything you want to know

2007-08 College Football Bowl Schedule
Bowl Game Date/Time Site Matchup Network
San Diego Co. Credit Union Poinsettia Dec. 20
9 p.m. San Diego, Calif. Utah vs. Navy ESPN
R&L Carriers New Orleans Dec. 21
8 p.m. New Orleans, La. Florida Atlantic vs. Memphis ESPN2
PapaJohn's.com Dec. 22
1 p.m. Birmingham, Ala. Cincinnati vs. Southern Miss ESPN2
New Mexico Dec. 22
4:30 p.m. Albuquerque, N.M. Mountain West vs. WAC ESPN
Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Dec. 22
8 p.m. Las Vegas, Nev. BYU vs. UCLA ESPN
Sheraton Hawaii Dec. 23
8 p.m. Honolulu, Hawaii C-USA vs. WAC ESPN
Motor City Dec. 26
7:30 p.m. Detroit, Mich. Purdue vs. Central Michigan ESPN
Pacific Life Holiday Dec. 27
8 p.m. San Diego, Calif. Texas vs. Arizona State ESPN
Champs Sports Dec. 28
5 p.m. Orlando, Fla. ACC vs. Big Ten ESPN
Texas Dec. 28
8 p.m. Houston, Texas TCU vs. Houston NFL
Emerald Dec. 28
8:30 p.m. San Francisco, Calif. ACC vs. Pac-10 ESPN
Meineke Car Care Dec. 29
1 p.m. Charlotte, N.C. Wake Forest vs. Connecticut ESPN
AutoZone Liberty Dec. 29
4:30 p.m. Memphis, Tenn. UCF vs. Mississippi State ESPN
Alamo Dec. 29
8 p.m. San Antonio, Texas Penn State vs. Texas A&M ESPN
Petro Sun Independence Dec. 30
8 p.m. Shreveport, La. Colorado vs. Alabama ESPN
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Dec. 31
12:30 p.m. Fort Worth, Texas Air Force vs. California ESPN
Sun Dec. 31
2 p.m. El Paso, Texas South Florida vs. Pac-10 CBS
Humanitarian Dec. 31
2 p.m. Boise, Idaho Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State ESPN2
Gaylord Hotels Music City Dec. 31
4 p.m. Nashville, Tenn. Kentucky vs. Florida State ESPN
Chick-fil-A Dec. 31
7:30 p.m. Atlanta, Ga. Auburn vs. Clemson ESPN
Insight Dec. 31
TBA Tempe, Ariz. Indiana vs. Oklahoma State NFL
Outback Jan. 1
11 a.m. Tampa, Fla. Wisconsin vs. Tennessee ESPN
AT&T Cotton Jan. 1
11:30 a.m. Dallas, Texas Missouri vs. Arkansas FOX
Gator Jan. 1
1 p.m. Jacksonville, Fla. ACC vs. Big 12 / Big East / Notre Dame CBS
Capital One Jan. 1
1 p.m. Orlando, Fla. Michigan vs. Florida ABC
Rose presented by Citi Jan. 1
4:30 p.m. Pasadena, Calif. USC vs. Illinois ABC
Allstate Sugar Jan. 1
8:30 p.m. New Orleans, La. Hawaii vs. Georgia FOX
Tostitos Fiesta Jan. 2
8 p.m. Glendale, Ariz. Oklahoma vs. West Virginia FOX
FedEx Orange Jan. 3
8 p.m. Miami, Fla. Virginia Tech vs. Kansas FOX
International Jan. 5
12 p.m. Toronto, Canada Rutgers vs. Ball State ESPN2
GMAC Jan. 6
8 p.m. Mobile, Ala. Tulsa vs. Bowling Green ESPN
BCS National Championship Jan. 7
8 p.m. New Orleans, La. Ohio State vs. LSU FOX

Ohio St., LSU to meet for BCS title

Just a few weeks ago, it appeared as if Ohio State and LSU had both blown their shot at playing in the BCS title game with losses to unranked opponents.

But in this strangest of college football seasons, both have played their way back into the championship, albeit with plenty of help from any number of teams who were unable to take advantage of opportunities.

On Saturday, it was Missouri and West Virginia which stumbled — the first time in the history of the BCS that both the Nos. 1 and 2 teams in the standings lost on the same day — opening the door for idle Ohio State to ascend to the top spot.

It marked the end of a long journey back for the Buckeyes, who were in seventh place in the standings after their stunning home loss to Illinois and still mired in fifth place after finishing the regular season with a win at Michigan on Nov. 17.

LSU, meanwhile, used a victory over Tennessee in the SEC title game to vault all the way from seventh to second in the standings. In addition to passing Saturday's big losers (i.e., Missouri and West Virginia), the Tigers also leapfrogged ACC champion Virginia Tech and a pair of idle teams in Georgia and Kansas.

Virginia Tech was the top-ranked team in the country, according to the computers. But the two human elements of the formula — the coaches and the Harris poll voters — considered LSU the No. 2 team, behind only Ohio State. And it's a fairly safe assumption that LSU's 48-7 dismantling of Virginia Tech earlier in the season was at least one of the factors those voters considered in elevating the Tigers to the No. 2 spot ahead of the Hokies.

It's also safe to say that voters strongly felt that a team needed to win its conference championship game in order to merit a spot in the national title game. How else to explain Georgia dropping a spot from fourth to fifth after a week in which they didn't play, and which saw two of the three teams ranked ahead of them lose?

Kansas got similar treatment, falling from fifth to eighth even though the Jayhawks finished Saturday with the same 11-1 record with which they began it. Even though they had one fewer loss than conference rivals Oklahoma and Missouri, the Jayhawks finished behind both the Sooners (fourth) and the Tigers (sixth) in the final standings.

Many observers felt as if USC — along with LSU, one of the early favorites to play in the title game — might merit consideration in the title debate after finishing the season on a four-game winning streak and claiming its sixth straight Pac-10 crown. But a 24-7 win over crosstown rival UCLA was only impressive enough to move the Trojans up one notch (from eighth to seventh) and the preseason No. 1 team will have to settle for a Rose Bowl appearance.

The other big BCS winner — other than the Buckeyes and Tigers, that is — was Hawaii. After rallying to defeat Washington and preserve their perfect regular season, the Warriors assured themselves of a BCS bowl berth with their 10th-place showing in the final standings.

But even though Hawaii finished the season as the Bowl Subdivision's only undefeated team, the Warriors were never seriously considered as a title game participant by either the human voters or the computers thanks to their comparatively easy schedule.

And so the Buckeyes will have an opportunity to atone for their performance in last year's title game, in which they were handed a crushing 41-14 defeat at the hands of Florida. To do it, they'll have to beat another champion from the mighty SEC.

This season, far stranger things have happened.

surfinsapo said:
Rose presented by Citi Jan. 1
4:30 p.m. Pasadena, Calif. USC vs. Illinois ABC
:shock:

Okay, giant-killer Illini, do your stuff. :D

--John 8)

chief.jpg

Back
Top Bottom