Collard Greens w Ham Hock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
Lesson two for 2010 is Collard Greens w Smoked Ham Hock. I now have one large bunch of collard greens and two smoked ham hocks. I have cruised the recipe sites and it seems I boil/simmer the hocks for 1, 2, 3 hours, wash thoroughly the greens and from there I looking for your ideas??? Keep it simple, I'm hoping not to go back to Krogres again this weekend. Thanks for any help you can give me :)

bbquzz said:
Lesson two for 2010 is Collard Greens w Smoked Ham Hock. I now have one large bunch of collard greens and two smoked ham hocks. I have cruised the recipe sites and it seems I boil/simmer the hocks for 1, 2, 3 hours, wash thoroughly the greens and from there I looking for your ideas??? Keep it simple, I'm hoping not to go back to Krogres again this weekend. Thanks for any help you can give me :)

Cook the collards in with the hocks, along with a little chopped onion, it takes a long time for both to tender up! Add in some red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Cook until the greens and hocks are tender!!

cooking collards is a real trip....I'll just say you ain't gonna
end up with as much as you think.

Most important, take care of the liquid, called "pot liquor".
Dip you a biscuit in that and eat it up.

bbquzz said:
I wondered why most recipes called for 3 or 4 lbs of greens. I have a pound ... if all goes well I can try again. Thanks guys.

Depending on the size of the hocks, 1 should be more than enough for 1lb of greens. Freeze the other two.

This stuff works, just finished a bowl and my Browns won their 4th game in a row,
a feat not done by them since 1994. I gotta go get a lottery ticket. Besides the luck
this stuff tastes great.

Thanks to all who helped with this project. Smokey Joe, is right, but it is my bride
who is pissed off, she wanted more and the pot is empty :(

Oh my. That looks soooooooooo good. I know what's for supper tomorrow!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom