Cliff gets a WSM for Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry is right. If you have 3 holes and block one, 1/3 is blocked! :P

I use a weber el cheapo therm that is placed through a toggle bolt "nut" that allows smoke to go through every hole in the top vent. Did that with my first WSM cook just because it kept the dial from smothering the hole. Thought about the cork deal, but like Larry I didnt want the air flow to stop.

I bought that cheap thermometer about 2 years ago and it reads dead on.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
BigGQ said:
I use the $10 Weber therm through a cork in the top vent. (Cappy invented it) Never had any problems. Won a contest that way. Larry has seen it. Plus it makes it easy to calibrate the therm also. No tools needed.

Finney had an installed therm go bad at the same comp. He was using Mavericks anyway so it did not hurt him any, I don't think. Then again, Finney doesn’t need any help. He knows way too much as it is now. :twisted:

I agree with Larry, Nick and Puff, cook with it a couple of times before making any mods. It does quite well right out the box.

Just my .02

Well see, thats what I have now. Larry seems to think that I am changing the flow by blocking 1/3 of the vent. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Argh...nevermind. I don't think 1/3 makes a difference.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
BigGQ said:
I use the $10 Weber therm through a cork in the top vent. (Cappy invented it) Never had any problems. Won a contest that way. Larry has seen it. Plus it makes it easy to calibrate the therm also. No tools needed.

Finney had an installed therm go bad at the same comp. He was using Mavericks anyway so it did not hurt him any, I don't think. Then again, Finney doesn’t need any help. He knows way too much as it is now. :twisted:

I agree with Larry, Nick and Puff, cook with it a couple of times before making any mods. It does quite well right out the box.

Just my .02

Well see, thats what I have now. Larry seems to think that I am changing the flow by blocking 1/3 of the vent. Anyone else want to weigh in?

If blocking 1/3 didn't make a difference, Weber would have made 2 holes versus 3. If you close the exhaust on your offset 1/3 aren't you changing the airflow???? So if you block one of the three holes on the dome of the WSM aren't you effecting the airflow?? What do I know??? Just trying to help, not start a debate.

brian j said:
blocking a third doesn't matter when cooking low, heck i usually shut the top vent anywhere from a third to half anyway, but it'll make a big difference if you're cooking hot. use a cloths pin of you want to drop in a therm and not block the vent.

Sure it does. Without proper airflow your fire will smolder vs. burn, thus increasing your chances of soot. I am of course talking about cooking without a Guru or Stoker.

I'm with you fellers.

The simple solution is to just dangle a probe through a top vent,
it won't block hardly any exhaust at all.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
BigGQ said:

Just my .02

Bill; if you have a fire in a room and two of the windows in the room are open and the third is closed, will not the smoke still exit the room through the two open windows. Will the closed third window have any affect on the fire? If you open the third window will that affect the fire?

Just asking, I have cooked both ways, blocking one-third with a therm through a cork and by just dropping the the probe into vent hole and can't really tell or notice ANY appreciable difference.

If you put it that way, yes. The third window will make a drastic difference in the fire. The smoke will exit faster allowing more oxigen to the fire. There for, Larry is right. I will drill a hole. ;)

Bill The Grill Guy said:
If you put it that way, yes. The third window will make a drastic difference in the fire. The smoke will exit faster allowing more oxigen to the fire. There for, Larry is right. I will drill a hole. ;)

[smilie=a_doh.gif]

Nick Prochilo said:
If you stick a 1/4" probe in a 1" hole are you blocking 1/3 of your exhaust of 3 holes?

You're blocking 25% of one 1" hole and 1/4" of 3 1" holes which total 3" so...
you're blocking about 8.33% of your total of 3 inches of exit hole. Hopefully, that will clear things up for you Nick.

:LOL: :LOL:

Bruce B said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":9uz38081]If you stick a 1/4" probe in a 1" hole are you blocking 1/3 of your exhaust of 3 holes?

you're blocking about 8.33% of your total of 3 inches of exit hole. Hopefully, that will clear things up for you Nick.

:LOL: :LOL:[/quote:9uz38081]

Not to be a "pot stirrer" but the cork takes up one hole. If you have three 1" holes and you fill one with a cork then you have 2/3 left for venting.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Bruce B":pyts67cv][quote="Nick Prochilo":pyts67cv]If you stick a 1/4" probe in a 1" hole are you blocking 1/3 of your exhaust of 3 holes?

:LOL: :LOL:[/quote:pyts67cv]

Not to be a "pot stirrer" but the cork takes up one hole. If you have three 1" holes and you fill one with a cork then you have 2/3 left for venting.[/quote:pyts67cv]

But what if you never open the vent 100%?..what if you only run it with it opened 2/3 to begin with?...would the blocked one be any different?

heh heh heh ...another "pot stirrer" heard from

Obviously though......simple fact... fire needs oxygen to burn... the vent gives oxygen.

The question here to me is :.....at what vent setting/% opened does the cooker reach it's highest temp?

If it reaches highest temp inside with the vent only open 2/3 or less...then blocking the other 1/3 wouldn't make any difference.... if it takes more then that 2/3's to hit it's highest temperature...then obviously it shouldn't be blocked.

These manufacturers don't just hold up their thumb and go... "errrrr.....ummmmmm...Hey Wilbur...why don'tcha come on over here and whack a hole in this lid about yay big"... Tons of money is spent in research and development to put the correct "everything" into design....

I can probably GUARANTEE that closing 1/3 the air to the fire chamber WILL RESULT IN 1/3 THE LOSS IN AVAILABLE HEAT... seems only common sense.

there!.... pot sufficiently stirred!

Back
Top Bottom