Christmas Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
Its that time of year again and my task turns to the family ham.
I quoted Roy Blount Jr.'s Hymn to Ham which I feel sums up my feelings on the subject.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f9/hymn-to-ham-14835.html

Last year I cooked the ham in the oven and I used a slow cook technique. The results were quite good in that the ham was moist and tender. Of course it was tasty and we enjoyed it for a week or more afterward.

I got a ham from this outfit. There are others but you have to look for them. The good ones usually sell out early, so shop about two months before a big holiday.

They have instructions for slow cooking on the back which they suggest cooking at 170 for 45 to 50 minutes a pound. I will use my meat thermometer and set the alarm to sound when it hits 160. It is hard to get a regular home oven to run that slow so I just set it as slow as it would go. The first time I placed an oven thermometer inside just to make sure it wasn't too slow. So back time the cook based on the weight. In my case it is a 14 pound ham so it should take about 12 hours. She wants it done at noon on Christmas day so we can trim it and glaze it for early dinner.

Soak the ham in water overnight the scrub the "face side" (The side opposite the skin.) to remove all mold and curing spice. I use non detergent soap like Ivory soap bar to scrub this and rinse it off well.

I cook the ham in this roaster which we found at a country store somewhere years ago. Just make sure it will fit inside your oven before its all fired up and make sure the ham will fit inside the roaster as well. If it is a little too long, the use a hand saw (scrubbed clean with soap AND NO RUST) to CAREFULLY trim the hock (Clean the grease off the saw afterward.).

Save the hock and use to make navy bean soup in January, yummy.

I'll post some more pictures as they become available.

img_261783_0_75885b65c83546f5b11b0f699cab85ba.jpg

Almost time and I took the ham out of the water and scrubbed it with a small brush I keep just for the purpose.
img_261783_1_8be4a0f9b809b3978981096634916e59.jpg

The hock was just a wee bit too long so I trimmed this sliver off the end.
img_261783_2_996145938ace55a1f555f9b704f71e12.jpg

Back in the kitchen I added 10 quarts of water to the roaster and inserted the remote sensing thermometer.
img_261783_3_5ecd071c9900b5ef4f9756624e83e739.jpg

I set the oven at the center of the "W" and placed a second thermometer to read the internal temp. It turns out my thermostat has aged since last year so I am adjusting it upward slowly until the average of the high and low temps equals 170 degrees.

And Griff, if you see a blip on the radar coming down from the north pole please be sure to give me a shout. ;-)

More pix when they happen.

I have a set if Satabiers and I keep em sharp with a Warthog sharpener set to 22 degrees. The problem is one of practice.

That's a fine lookin ham! Forget the thin slices, I'll take a big 'ol slab of that, please!

Love those country hams. Finally bumped into a nice fellow from Ole Miss who taught me how to cook one right. Got to cook it up a slice or two at a time in a cast iron skillet full of water....after it has chucked away for a bit drain off the water and brown it on up with a little butter. If I am blessed with another thats how I intend to do it.

Love those country hams. Finally bumped into a nice fellow from Ole Miss who taught me how to cook one right. Got to cook it up a slice or two at a time in a cast iron skillet full of water....after it has chucked away for a bit drain off the water and brown it on up with a little butter. If I am blessed with another thats how I intend to do it.

img_261973_0_240fed15e4915511ec657a3badd420cf.jpg

I was in Boston last year and I visited this resturant. Hungry Mother caught my eye. Being from Virginia, I have visited Hungry Mother state park many times, and I was curious how a resturant with that name ended up in Chambridge Mass. It turns out the chef is a Virginia native who now resides there.

We'll I didn't have a reservation that night but was able to con my way in by telling them I too was a Virginia native and knew of the area.

I ordered the chicken dish and was delighted to find the chef had made a sauce of mashed potatoes and Red Eye Gravy to smother the chicken breasts. It was the most delectable taste combination and to my way of thinking a stroke of genius. This is a dish I will remember for a long time.

Sounds yummy. I dont think Texas folks know much about red eye gravy. Was grown before I ever heard of it. We like Pet Milk gravy..lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom