Chili ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Bigwheel, Scotty ?

I need an award winning chili recipie that is mild. My family cannot handle pepper heat.

Is there a favorite go to recipie that you guys can direct me to ?

This took second at Oink.
Dave's "Dog Breath" Chili

2 lbs Ground Beef

1 lb Bulk Sausage (Italian or Sage) (Pork or Venison)

2 Large Yellow Onions, chopped

2 Bell peppers, chopped (red, yellow or green or mix, I prefer 1 red & 1 yellow)

2 tablespoons minced garlic (3-4 cloves)

¼ cup corn flour

4 tablespoons Chili Powder

3 teaspoons each: ground cumin, basil leaves, oregano

1 teaspoon each: Cavenders, Pig Powder, red pepper

3 28 ounce cans Italian style crushed tomatoes, drain ½ of the liquid out

4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 cup coffee

1 12 ounce can of beer

2 teaspoons Louisiana hot sauce

1 15 ½ ounce can each: red kidney or chili beans, garbanzo beans, black beans

sliced olives, sliced banana pepper rings, tortilla chips and shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Sautee over medium heat beef, sausage, onions, bell peppers and garlic about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender; drain off fat. Stir in flour, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, Cavenders, Pig Powder and red pepper, cook a couple minutes, careful not to burn. Add tomatoes, breaking up with spoon or fork as adding, stir in Worcestershire, coffee, beer and hot sauce; cover, simmer on medium-low heat for approx. an hour, stir occasionally add water or beer as necessary. Add more red pepper or hot sauce to taste (remember that hot sauce and red peppers will increase the overall heat of the chili gradually not instantly). Stir in beans, continue cooking until beans are heated thoroughly, add olives and stir. Put crushed tortilla chips in bowl, ladle chili over chips, put sliced banana peppers and shredded cheese on top. Serve with cornbread on the side and a frosted mug of cold beer.

Thanks guys.

Pigs,

That one looks like a winner.

John,

My wife is having her gallbladder removed tomorrow. Maybe that will help her condition. ;)

Cliff H. said:
Thanks guys.

Pigs,

That one looks like a winner.

John,

My wife is having her gallbladder removed tomorrow. Maybe that will help her condition. ;)
Nope, only second place. Good luck with the wife. Val had hers out a few years back. A little grumpy for a day or so, then back up to snuff.

Well despite the heat issues I dont think our friend from Arkansas gonna want no steenken kidney beans and Eyetalian sausage in his chili. I mean he is neighbors with Texas so he bound to be purty picky..suspect he want something at least edible. Will agree that typical comp chili is purty rich..cant eat much at one sitting. Now you use it for topping a chili dawg..or turn it into frito chili pie or use it in place of enchilada sauce when the taste buds are headed South of the Border..it works great. Go to Google and type in CASI. That will take you to CASI's website and purport to be recipes from each world champ from Terlingua for the past decade or so. Try the recipe by Bob Coats. He is a chum and helped write the book on comp chili. If it calls for something hot just leave it out. If you want to set down and just eat chili by the bowl with crackers or cornbread etc. might want to at least put a can or two of rinsed off Ranch Style Beans in there with it. Here is a link to Bob's recipe. Sure you limited on chili powder selections so less you want to do some mail order bizness with Penderys might try using Gebhardts where it calls for Gebhardts and Foat Wuth Light. Try Mexene where it calls for Texas Red. You dont have to worry about the dumps and timing and stuff like that just dont add the cumin or the Sazon till about the last 20 mins cuz the cumin do not need much excuse to turn bitter. My Grandson beat Bob at a chili contest using Bob's recipe. Now aint that special? If you can't find no Sazon check the Mexican Market..if you aint got one sub out with a teaspoon of MSG aka Accent..cuz that basically all it is with a little cumin and food coloring thrown in to make it look special. If you dont like Bob's recipe just pick out another and keep on trucking. Hope this helps.

http://www.chili.org/bcoats.html

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom