cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wittdogs B

Senior Cook
Well, I made my first go at cheese making… tried a one hour mozzerella recipe; it took more like an hour and a half with it being my first try (setup took a bit of time).

You start by heating the milk with acid and solidifiers (citric acid and rennet). As it heats the curds and whey separate. Once it reaches temp, you let it sit for a while then drain out the whey. Microwave it to get out more whey, then stretch it to cool and firm it up.

All in all, it turned out well. Cheese was good, a little firmer than I would have liked (probably less stretching next time) Also, this process is one time that smell-o-vision would not be a good thing… although it did bring back memories of when the boys were babies!

Looks great. I love mozarella cheese, especially when its deep fried and served with some homemade marinara sauce or when its part of lasagna or chicken or veal parm, or.......................any way you want to serve it, it's just plain good!

Glad to see your turned out good. My nephew and my father made some earlier this year and it didn't turn out so good. How much yield did you get from a gallon of milk?

a gallon of whole milk yielded about a pound of mozz. cheese.

Kloset--frying it up is part of the plan need to get it breaded and in the freezer; probably won't happen until tonight or tomorrow am

wittdog said:
a gallon of whole milk yielded about a pound of mozz. cheese.

Kloset--frying it up is part of the plan need to get it breaded and in the freezer; probably won't happen until tonight or tomorrow am

I'll swap you some burnt ends for some fried mozzarella, Dave! :D

Good job on the cheese making. I love Limburger. No telling whut it smell like to make that stuff:) Not sure how they produce Rennet nowadays but it turns the milk into cheese. It comes from the lining of a sheep or goats tummy I think.

bigwheel

Looks great.

I just need to take a vacation to West Seneca, NY to visit the BBQ, Sausage, and Cheese factory. Are you into Bread making?

You and the family are true food Artisans. :D

Did you buy some kind of a do it yourself kit? Could you direct me to it. I would love to try that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom