Chaney Grill Starts the Journey Across The Nation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks Great Buzz. I just emailed you detailed picts of the frame Chaney built. Damn that box got beat up. Good to see the grill made it alive. It weighed 110 lbs when I shipped it. Well that's what my scale in the house read. And you know how those things show at least 25 lbs too much. :LOL:

V9 Sell the 27" OTG. and your almost there. I can relate. I tried to get a Santa Maria grill and the misses put down the hammer!

Hey guys, this is really neat! The Chaney's are multiplying and spreading across the country. My neighbor had a very large party at his house on Saturday and one of his guest was hollering my name from across the fence. When I came out he started asking all kinds of questions about my pit (the Chaney), as he called it.

It turns out that he does a lot of BBQ catering and has his own home built trailer with 4 split drum grilles mounted on it. He came over to take a closer look at it and said that this was the best built split drum pit he had seen in a long time. He was really impressed with the quality of the materials and the welds.

Anyway, have fun with yours.

OK now the Chaney Grill is in Cheboygan, Michigan at Weld Tech getting the stand fabricated as well as a couple mods Tri Tip suggested. The nice part is if I lived in LA I could buy a Chaney Grill, stand and all for just under $300, and when Marc Brach at Weld Tech is done with me I will still only have $300 plus just over $100 in freight, so a total of $400. Now if I could only cook like Lew and Tri Tip :LOL: I hope to get it back this Friday and spend some time this weekend cleaning and burning it in and then start cooking next week. More pictures when I get it back from Weld Tech.

Attachments

• Weld Tech.jpg
    Weld Tech.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for the complement Buzz but I can't cook any better than the rest of us. In fact haven posted many picts lately cause I've posted all I know how to do.

Got the Chaney Grill back from the welding shop on Saturday and the next step is removing the paint from the inside and then season it using lard. Tri Tip told me about a couple extras so I add an ash catcher and a charcoal basket. I was really happy with the charcoal basket as it was fabricated so the steel ran reverse of the charcoal rack so it will keep the small pieces of lump from falling through. After removing the paint and pressure washing the grill I rubbed the inside with lard, loaded a full bag of K and some pieces of oak and fired it up. It's been running at over 600° for about three hours now. I did pick up a Tri Tip that I plan on doing Tuesday, so more pictures then.

WOW that’s all-right. Took it down to the metal. You lucked out with the metal drum with no lining. I told Chaney to not paint the inside but he forgot. I like the basket. The ash catcher is awesome too. Looks like he built a good front table mount too. That stand looks very familiar.... :P can't wait to see the picts of the future cooks.

Tri Tip said:
WOW that’s all-right. Took it down to the metal. You lucked out with the metal drum with no lining. I told Chaney to not paint the inside but he forgot. I like the basket. The ash catcher is awesome too. Looks like he built a good front table mount too. That stand looks very familiar.... :P can't wait to see the picts of the future cooks.

Maybe Smokey Lew will come back form the dead and chime in!!!!

I was hoping to get a rise out of Smokey Lew, but, think he still recovering form the big wedding :D I'm headed to the lumber yard to get a 2" X 8" front table and some plywood for the bottom rack.

Hey Buzz,

That Chaney grill is looking mighty fine! I've been laying low for awhile due to over burn on the wedding and a nasty heat wave. It's been over a hundred with a lot of humidity and it's kind of kept me quiet hiding in the shadows so to speak.

Your charcoal catcher and basket are top notch. Can't wait to see some grilling on that.

Fired it up in the garage? :shock:

I was thinking exact same thing when I saw the Pic. Buzz, the grill is coming along fantastic, can't wait to see pics of that tri-tip your gonna grill on it. Looks like I'm gonna be making a call to Chaney here soon. Good to see Smokey back on the board, don't let the humidity scare you, thats what adult beverages are for ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom