Cant remember

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
What the heck is the name of the instant digital thermometer alot of people use here. I keep wanting to say digi q but I know thats not it. Its roughly about $70 bucks...thanks for the help. db

Never mind Ive figured it out...THANKS!

I will take the large headed small probe instant temp gauge from Wally World any old day. Six bucks last I checked. Aint nothing which needs checking which it can't check. Dont need no steeken batteries or 12 year old kids to show you how it works. Probe also serves double duty to make it pass the poke test. Use one for a while and you can figger out the temp without even looking at it. Also..fat boys can set on it you can spill beer on it without a problemo. Not sure how long they last. The one I got now is at least 10 years old. Lost the original somewhere along the rusty dusty trail. Them chicoms know how to make good gauges and of course the Christian slave labor keeps the price low.

bigwheel

Greg Rempe said:
dollarbill said:
I was thinkin the thermopen. Thanks for the help. Those things are now 96 bucks! ouch!

"Buy the best and only cry once!" $$ WELL SPENT!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ya, I keep tryin that but I keep cryin' anyways cause I'm broke. Aparently $100.- is the "new" $20- :LOL:

They, (Thermopen) ran a sale a few months back and I think I paid like $64 or sumtin like that. Have had countless cheap ones and they do work, but if ya use 'em all the time, they don't last. I Love the Thermopen. Some of the best $$$$ I've spent. The instant read allows you to penetrate slowly and watch the internal temps change....pretty kewl. Not sure if I'd spend $96, but after havin one, I'd definitly consider it.
dj

dollarbill said:
I was thinkin the thermopen. Thanks for the help. Those things are now 96 bucks! ouch!

DJ said:
They, (Thermopen) ran a sale a few months back and I think I paid like $64 or sumtin like that. Have had countless cheap ones and they do work, but if ya use 'em all the time, they don't last. I Love the Thermopen. Some of the best $$$$ I've spent. The instant read allows you to penetrate slowly and watch the internal temps change....pretty kewl. Not sure if I'd spend $96, but after havin one, I'd definitly consider it.
dj

dollarbill said:

The $96 is for the "Waterproof/ Resistant" model thats just coming out aparently. Still, the other one is $70 somthin'.

Greg Rempe said:
dollarbill said:

"Buy the best and only cry once!" $$ WELL SPENT!

My Thermapen lasted about a year and a half.........I replaced it with a Taylor instant read thermometer for $15 and couldn't be happier.

For food service, I needed a Taylor. (health goons) I'm with Larry on this one. If you can pull a bone from a pork butt clean, It's good to go. If you do a fork test on a brisket, It's good to go. Pick a rack of ribs in the middle, good to go. Geesh, when are some folk going to learn how to cook and not freak out about temp? Do you temp your hot dogs off the grill too? :roll:

Pigs

I have been using a Maverick Redi Check. You can probably find one for around $50. I have also cracked a couple parts on the back door because you have to open it to turn it on. It is ok but am probably going to get something a little tougher. Granted I am pretty hard on it and so far besides having to replace a probe it has been ok for home use.

Back
Top Bottom