Bogus Chili Cook Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Every year there is about a half dozen "chili cook offs" Bars, fire departments, car dealerships. Just show up with a crock pot deals. No cooking and prep on site. In Alden a few years back a dude told me he just opens a few cans of (get this) Wolf brand chili and dumped it in a crock pot and wins every year. :roll: What's the point? Only reason I'm complaining is I got a call from a local motor cycle place to enter. Must be I'm on there list as I'm a customer. All the fun and skill is cooking on site. I don't care if you use a gas grill or what ever. Any schmuck can chuck a crock pot together and show up. I Just don't get it.

Pigs
I need my medication now :?

I agree Pigs Sounds about like the same thing that goes on around here :roll: I don't get it either. They sit in their EzUp s & give prizes to the teams that have the best costumes & tent decorations It always looks like freakin' Halloween :LOL: :LOL:

8)

They got em like that around here too. It usually a cheap way for a bizness owner..charity or whutever...to feed a lot of folks on your dime. Generate some excitement on the premises etc. Thats how they treat near all the poor Gumbo cooks down in coonass land. They require the cooks to brew up enough gumbo to feed half the town then if they happen to win they get a nice ribbon worth about 39 cents. Whut a deal huh? Might be some exceptions but I haven't seen any yet.

bigwheel

Think bigwheel hit the nail on the head. We went up there and there were only four crock's of chili. :LOL: Sales dude comes over and starts his pitch on grass cutters, four wheelers, snowmobiles, and motor cycles. :roll: What a joke! They do have cool stuff there, but I'm sorry, this deal was a total joke. :D BUT they did get me in the door to look around. :oops:
www.bucksmotorsports.com

Pigs

A local radio station is having a chili cookoff in a couple of weeks and I went to their website to look at the rules. Everything has to be made from scratch but each entrant has to make a minimum of 10 gallons of chili. That sounds like a lot of chili, is that amount of chili normal for cookoffs?

Vermin999 said:
A local radio station is having a chili cookoff in a couple of weeks and I went to their website to look at the rules. Everything has to be made from scratch but each entrant has to make a minimum of 10 gallons of chili. That sounds like a lot of chili, is that amount of chili normal for cookoffs?
HELL NO! 10 gallons? When "Big Oscar" and me make it on site at Oinktoberfest, It costs us around fifty bucks to make a ten quart pot. Dude, what do you think it would cost to make 10 gallons? Plus, how would you do it? And how could you keep it in the "safe temp" zone. I sure as hell would not do it! Evan it first prize is five hundred bucks. I think it would cost about half of that just to make it. :shock: 10 gallons is a whole lot of chili!

Pigs

Double dittos on the heck no stuff. The CASI pro type folks tend to make enough to fill up the judging cup. We have had some tentative offers from would be promoters who thought they wanted that much chili but it just takes a slight amount of splaining things to get that silly notion out of their feeble minds.

bigwheel

Guess we will let it return to dust. I am too cheap..er I mean thrifty to cough up the five bucks or whutever it is they want to keep it alive. Actually have two of them on there.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom