Blackend Mahi Mahi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
2nd night in a row, I had to cook inside due to 'dinner time' thunderstorms.

.83lb of mahi mahi
img_240310_0_7c973d9cafecfb0bd96e2a6e389dbbc3.jpg

Seasoned with Zatarains Blackening Seasoning.
img_240310_1_40dea7afe8173d0641eecaf4072b4424.jpg

Threw some vegetables in the pan first.
img_240310_2_26f719c7be1867d3a919e0e8dbd67a65.jpg

Seared the fish skin side first..
img_240310_3_471790ef7406283951a5f171bc7aabdd.jpg

Flipped at the 5 minute mark for 5 more minutes.
img_240310_4_dfb3ffab4dd47e5e1c5402b448303ce2.jpg

Served over Wild Rice Medley.
img_240310_5_42f46a4e16ca5ac33e3b0fc325872982.jpg

Good job Larry. That looks excellent. Now I have heard of that species of fish. Aint it kin to Talapia or similar? If so..and it sorta bland tasting cant think of a higher calling than to get itself blackened to get some flavor in it. Last time I tried it in the house I was using some kinda ho made concoction I seen on PBS or somewhere like that. Well I got that cast iorn skillet hotter than a two dollar pistol and throwed the catfish in there. Everything went well for 30 secs or so then this fish starts smoking enough to set off all the smoke detectors and if you come in there for the next day or so it was like the po pos had been shooting tear gas in there etc. Musta been the cayenne I guess:) Tasted great.

bigwheel said:
Good job Larry. That looks excellent. Now I have heard of that species of fish. Aint it kin to Talapia or similar? If so..and it sorta bland tasting cant think of a higher calling than to get itself blackened to get some flavor in it. Last time I tried it in the house I was using some kinda ho made concoction I seen on PBS or somewhere like that. Well I got that cast iorn skillet hotter than a two dollar pistol and throwed the catfish in there. Everything went well for 30 secs or so then this fish starts smoking enough to set off all the smoke detectors and if you come in there for the next day or so it was like the po pos had been shooting tear gas in there etc. Musta been the cayenne I guess:) Tasted great.

I would not even put tilapia in the same category as mahi mahi (dolphin). I've have tilapia too many times and it's the worst (muddiest) tasting fish I've ever eaten. I bet carp tastes better. You should have a good chance of getting fresh dolphin where you're at. If they have it on ice, ask for a vacuum sealed frozen piece. UNLESS you go to a high end fish monger, the stuff on ice was previously frozen and sitting on ice for (how many days??)......

Larry the Mahi Mahi looked reallllly good. Making me hungry, again. Those things that were different colors looked awesome also.--LOL

Well that muddy flavor of Talpia is news to me. Most I could use to describe all I've got is bland tasteless etc. Guess them you got come from a muddy part of the Ocean or something.

Use to be you could buy "frozen" mahi mahi at Sams. It was in a bag. The steaks werent as big as Larry's but the quality was great. Marinate in Italian and it kicks arse! Looks killer as usual Larry.

Back
Top Bottom