BGE Lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I was at the local ACE today and noticed that besides carrying a full line of BGE's and Weber's ( Including a WSM), they were also carrying some BGE Lump charcoal and what looked to be the BGE version of a Therma Pen.

Anyone ever use either from BGE ?

The charcoal was about $17 for 40lbs and the thermometer was about $29.

Hi
I use this Lump. I find that it is true that Royal Oak must keep the best for BGE. I find it burns hot but not as hot as others I have used. I find that the size of pieces are fantastic, very little small pieces. the only concern I have is that once in a while I will get rocks that look like pieces of ceramic tile in my charcoal bag. I have no idea what it is doing in there but it is. I find this charcoal to be more expensive than others, at least that is the case in Canada. Overall I use this for competing and long cooks as I find it burns consistant and for a long time. For quick burgers I would use another charcoal due to the premium price it has and to save some money.

Tim

Sucks don't it cliff.

I have tried my share of lump and settled on B&B or Royal Oak. Are they the best?? Probably not but the price is right. For the B&B I have to make a 5 hour trip to Texas to score some but I go there pretty often and have a truck so I load up.

I used BGE lump for a while when I first had the egg. It was indeed high quality, but I finally settled into Royal Oak out of convenience. I have to drive about thirty miles to the nearest BGE dealer to find it around here. The Royal Oak is a good charcoal. I have also been known to use some Cowboy (uck!) in a pinch, I found contaminants like carbonized foam rubber in one batch. I still have the samples in a zip lock bag. I called the company, and got polite lip service.

BchrisL said:
I used BGE lump for a while when I first had the egg. It was indeed high quality, but I finally settled into Royal Oak out of convenience. I have to drive about thirty miles to the nearest BGE dealer to find it around here. The Royal Oak is a good charcoal. I have also been known to use some Cowboy (uck!) in a pinch, I found contaminants like carbonized foam rubber in one batch. I still have the samples in a zip lock bag. I called the company, and got polite lip service.

:shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom