Beans aren't done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I had the wife put a pre packaged red bean with fixins on the stove. It called for 10 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until tender.

Well it has been simmering for four hours and they still ain't tender whats up with that ?

I did make sure she took them out of the package. :roll:

The beans may be old. I have cooked red beans that took almost all day and they still didn't get real tender. I usually soak the beans over night.

I had my aunt send me some Camellia brand red beans from Louisiana back in September. She sent me 18 one pound packages...that is what fit in a Priority box.

Here are some I cooked a while back.

the password to the album is......beans

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r286 ... d%20Beans/

When I cook em I follow the Camilla recipe on the bag, it say no soakin cook for 1.5 hours they come out perfect every time. CG is probably rite them beans was old.

Cliff ask your wife if she added salt to the dry beans before they were done cooking. If she did that could be the culprit. If you add salt before the beans are done, they will be hard.

Well my Mama in Law..aka the Senor Warden makes the best pintos in the world and she always puts salt in em afore she starts cooking and they dont never come out hard. They got a real tough hull on em and believe it one of the few species of beans which need an overnight soak. Now any kinda acidic stuff such as tomaters etc. will turn them hard as a rock if added early. Just dont think salt be the culprit on this deal. Also when you add water..always add boiling water. That is why the Lord gave us tea kettles. You keep that simmering right along with the beans to add when needed. Simple huh?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well my Mama in Law..aka the Senor Warden makes the best pintos in the world and she always puts salt in em afore she starts cooking and they dont never come out hard. They got a real tough hull on em and believe it one of the few species of beans which need an overnight soak. Now any kinda acidic stuff such as tomaters etc. will turn them hard as a rock if added early. Just dont think salt be the culprit on this deal. Also when you add water..always add boiling water. That is why the Lord gave us tea kettles. You keep that simmering right along with the beans to add when needed. Simple huh?

bigwheel

i never soak pinto beans over night. what I do is bring them to a boil and then shut it off and let it cool for 1 hour then pour out the water and refill with clean water and bring back to a boil and theya re ready in 1 hour.. works every time.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom