BBQ Restaurant in Montreal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
In talking about my BBQ hobby, my peers at work told me I just had to visit the Barby Barn for chicken and ribs. It's SOOO good ... blah, blah, blah.

I went today and ordered side ribs and a 1/4 chicken (breast). They didn't have back ribs, pulled pork or brisket on the menu. The ribs were whole (not trimmed to Kansas city or St. Louis style) and seperated, membrane on. They seemed quickly cooked (I was wondering if they were boiled) then briefly grilled because fat had not rendered. Covered in a molasses type sauce. The chicken wasn't bad but quite dry. The meal came with fries and a side of sauce too. It tasted exactly like watered down canned tomatoe soup with a little vinegar and sugar in it.

Cost near $30 with a beverage.

I think those were the worst ribs I've had at a restaurant. Man, people just don't know what they're missing if they think that is good food. I see now why lots of folks take their home made Q to work and I appreciate my WSM even more.

Gonna try Schwartz's tomorrow for some authentic, fresh Montreal Smoked meat.

Shawn I feel your pain buddy...a couple of years ago a friend of mine wanted me to go to T-Bones in Murrells Inlet for some of "Robs Ribs."
He's served em for years. So we both get ribs, and I bite in , and same thing you described. All I tasted was sauce on mush. Bought that time my friend says "umm these are good."

So I say...all I taste is sauce, you can't taste any meat at all."

He thinks about that for a while and then says "thanks, you ruined my dinner!"

The vast majority of people have no idea what ribs should be like.

Shawn,

French Canadian Barbecue! That should have been all the warning you needed. :grin:

Sorry that was arrogant but probably true from a commercial standpoint! (and that includes most Q restaurants)

Treat your buddies to some real barbecue. Host a cookout and cook for them. It might just launch your catering business! I have yet to find a restaurant that can top what most of the guys on this board (including my Canadian Q brothers) can accomplish on their backyard grills and smokers.

Be very cautious about Schwartz' . I noticed they list Celine Dion as a patron! :D

Captain Morgan said:
...So I say...all I taste is sauce, you can't taste any meat at all."

He thinks about that for a while and then says "thanks, you ruined my dinner!"
Funny! I've noticed that too, people often don't like hearing they love dog food. :grin:

Better to show 'em and let 'em decide for themselves I say! So Monday I will skirt the issue if they asked me what I thought. I should try to bring back some vacpacked Q.

KlosetBBQR said:
...French Canadian Barbecue! That should have been all the warning you needed....
Yup, my bad! I only mentioned cuz of hype I got ... then in then end Swiss Chalet is 5 times better (you guys have that chain down south?).

Guys it's a shame this place has been in business for years and years. It's not like they had anything else on the menu either ... A few sides, a couple of sandwiches, hamburger. That's it.

For the good of Q in Canada I must blow up the building.

Farewell.

Shawn, was the BarB on Sources Road?
If it was, I could have warned you ahead of time!!!
It used to be called Nap's and was a hot spot many years ago.
The last time I was in there the food the same as you descirbed!!!
I was by there two weeks ago, for a high school reunion,someone made mention to stop in for munchies, I'll pass, andwait till I get home.

Cheers

Steve McMurtry said:
Shawn, was the BarB on Sources Road?
If it was, I could have warned you ahead of time!!!
It used to be called Nap's and was a hot spot many years ago.
The last time I was in there the food the same as you descirbed!!!
I was by there two weeks ago, for a high school reunion,someone made mention to stop in for munchies, I'll pass, andwait till I get home.

Cheers
Steve, the one I went to was on rue Guy, between Maissoneuve and St.Catherine downtown.

Some good news to report, Schwartze's was great! If you're a brisket fan you should check it out if you're ever in Montreal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom