BBQ in Nashville area...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
So we are in Nashville for a few days. We want some good BBQ. The only "Q" Ive had is mine or Witts, both of which are pretty friggin good (imho). But when in Rome.. I read reviews of some places and that was a waste of time. 4 people say it sucks and the next 4 say it was the best they ever had. We are willing to travel..looking for the place that closes the doors when they run out.. no chains or tourist traps.. Anyone ???? Bueller ? Also, any Nashville tips would be appreciated. By the way its 50 here. I can live with this...

Not what you asked John, but I would pass on this place Jacks Bar-B-Que. It is downtown by the Ryman Auditorium, lots of atmosphere, but not great food. Ate at BB Kings there once several years ago, ribs were great! Have a great time!

bbquzz said:
Not what you asked John, but I would pass on this place Jacks Bar-B-Que. It is downtown by the Ryman Auditorium, lots of atmosphere, but not great food. Ate at BB Kings there once several years ago, ribs were great! Have a great time!

Lol..we just asked the bartender at the hotel and she HIGHLY recommended Jacks BBQ !

john pen said:
bbquzz said:

Lol..we just asked the bartender at the hotel and she HIGHLY recommended Jacks BBQ !
I'd go with the bartender info. 8)
Any bartender info......

Are you still in town ? If you go to jacks then the one out of downtown is better. if you get south of town then mickey roos is pretty good brisket and even further south JJ's is better pork then what you will find downtown

Think Nashville is most noted for whiskey and fried chicken. I would concentrate on that aspect. Also stop at the nearest pawn shoppe and buy yourself a disposable pocket pistolo. RG would work as long as it worked. Toss it in the trash on the way back to the airport. That place has the highest per capita murder rate in the US of A last time I schecked. Only slightly below Dallas and Jouston most likely.

bigwheel

That would be Jacskon, half way between here and Memphis. If you want fried chicken make your way to Prince's Fried Chicken...but go before dark.

Ok sounds like you knows your way around town so to speak. Maybe I was thinking of Memphis. In Nashville you supposed to eat Chili at Tootsies. Tom T. Hall claimed it was good anyway. Person liable to bump into famous folks at that place.

bigwheel

bbquzz said:
We ate at the downtown location & I agree. Way over rated.

bigwheel said:
Ok sounds like you knows your way around town so to speak. Maybe I was thinking of Memphis. In Nashville you supposed to eat Chili at Tootsies. Tom T. Hall claimed it was good anyway. Person liable to bump into famous folks at that place.

bigwheel

doubt you will run into much famous folk at tootsies anymore, just those that are trying and tourists mostly. I'm born and raised here and have been in tootsies once....with an out of town guest that had to go

We are back at our cabin heading home tomorrow. We had a great time in Nashville. Tootsies was our fav bar, having good bands tues and wed. Thursday's band kinda sucked so we did a lot of walking, checking out a bunch of museums and tourist stuff. All in all we had a good time, no really memorable food. We tried Q at a place that got all excellent reviews. little hole in the wall...I had brisket sammy... the sauce was so hot it wasn't enjoyable to eat and the meat was dry. Jean had pp sammy and it was dry also. Tried the ribs also and they had no flavor at all except for the little bit provided by the sauce. I think it was called hog heaven..

Well sounds like yall had fun. Good storebought bbq is an elusive commodity. I gave up looking for it years ago. Now this old chum of mine claim they have good bbq in Kansas City but aint never bothered to check it out.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well sounds like yall had fun. Good storebought bbq is an elusive commodity. I gave up looking for it years ago. Now this old chum of mine claim they have good bbq in Kansas City but aint never bothered to check it out.

bigwheel
Well, I tend to agree. I gave up eating pasta out 'cause i can always make it better at home. Im thinking thats where Im at with "q". I had ribs at a bus rally on New Years in Fla that were pretty good. Moist and flavorfull with a nice sauce. Im thinking Im gonna stick to burgers when I go out to eat ....

I hear ya. Reminds me of the old country song about..up until I had T bone steak I thought saltine crackers tasted just fine...or something along that line. I liked just about anything that reeked of smoke back before we started cooking fairly regular then I turned into a snob:) In fact it has only been a year or two since I have reacquired a taste for the stuff at all. I went a year or two where the smell of wood smoke would make me want to heave.

bigwheel

My 8 year old grand daughter has become a "Q" snob too..lol. There is a bbq joint in town that makes fair bbq and she always has some comment about it compairing it to mine.

john pen said:
My 8 year old grand daughter has become a "Q" snob too..lol. There is a bbq joint in town that makes fair bbq and she always has some comment about it compairing it to mine.

Kids ........................... ya gotta love them! ;)

Back
Top Bottom