BBQ GURU PODCAST...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Thanks to Shotgun Fred for doing the podcast with me last night. It was truly a stuggle for us to get togehter yesterday to do it! Even during the interview, his phone cratered 9 minutes in and we had to start over!!

However, we persisted through it all and produced a really good show! He had some great information and some cool anticdotes! I also liked it when he told me his opinion on those who thought that using the GURU didn't constitute making BBQ! It was great!

Thanks again Fred! I had a great time! :(

Great interview Rempe and Fred! You got me thinking about a Guru now! We'll see what Santa brings me!

Larry Wolfe said:
Great interview Rempe and Fred! You got me thinking about a Guru now! We'll see what Santa brings me!
NO WAY!! [-(

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":254c2o7e]Great interview Rempe and Fred! You got me thinking about a Guru now! We'll see what Santa brings me!
NO WAY!! [-([/quote:254c2o7e]

Yes, the anti Guru himself is considering getting one. At least if I get one for LuLu I won't be buying an attachment that costs more than the pit, as would be the case with the WSM. I haven't 100% made up my mind yet. I'd like to be able to do overnighters on LuLu, and without a Guru that is impossible without a Guru unless there is something I'm missing or doing wrong. So yeah, I'm seriously considering a Guru. So if and when I get one, I'll eat crow for being so anti Guru. Hey, maybe I was wrong........

I too enjoyed the podcast. And I laughed at his comments about purist Qers. But I really didn't need to hear it again from Greg! :rant: :!: I still have trouble visualizing how they work. I didn't hear him ever mention $$ so the must be expensive also. I heard Adrian put one on his Gator. I'd like to hear more from him.

Pretty easy, when the unit monitors that your pit temp is dropping below your set temp, it turns the fan on to reinvigorate the coals and brings your temp back up to the temp you originally set it at, i.e. you set the pit temp at 235, when the Guru detects it dropping below that temp it turns the fan on and more air leads to higher temps and guess what, your temp goes back up and the guru shuts the fan off. How's that.

Fantastic explanation Bruce!

I too would like to hear more from Adrian. How much wood you put in the pit in the beginning and how much you light first would be my first question. #2 would be do you have to add any additional logs during the cook?

jminion said:
Greg
If you get Joe Ames on a Pod Cast we could have Larry
using Fab product. =D>
Jim

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Good one Jim!!! Well I'm always a believer of trying stuff once, so you never know. Doubt it, but stranger things have happened!

I gotta defend myself to a certain degree about the Guru. I was basically against using it on the WSM's cause there wasn't much of a reason too since they hold great temps for long periods of time using the MM by themselves. Plus the Guru costs more than the WSM and to me that didn't make sense. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! 8-[

Larry
I have a Guru and I use it doing the Kobe briskets I get because they need to be cooked at 190 to 205 max or the fat does some strange things.
At competitions you need sleep and the Guru allows me to stay in that range no matter what other conditions we find.
I agree that overall the Guru is not needed but it does have it's good points.

I really like to use a Guru on the ceramic pots because you have to use the exhaust as part of the temp control and I find I get no off flavor when using the Guru.

Jim

I've already call Fred and told him to lose Larrys order if he places it! After all Larry said about our fake "Q" with the guru, he doesn't deserve one! #-o

jminion said:
Larry
I have a Guru and I use it doing the Kobe briskets I get because they need to be cooked at 190 to 205 max or the fat does some strange things.
At competitions you need sleep and the Guru allows me to stay in that range no matter what other conditions we find.
I agree that overall the Guru is not needed but it does have it's good points.

I really like to use a Guru on the ceramic pots because you have to use the exhaust as part of the temp control and I find I get no off flavor when using the Guru.

Jim

Okay I'm sold Jim! Gonna see if I can scrounge up some funds to get one soon. I e-mailed Shotgun Fred, with some questions. So once I hear back from him I'll know what exact model and the cost I'm looking at.

Nick Prochilo said:
I've already call Fred and told him to lose Larrys order if he places it! After all Larry said about our fake "Q" with the guru, he doesn't deserve one! #-o

Cut me some slack Nicky! I explained my view on a previous reply about the Guru. But if I were still only cooking on the WSM, I would not consider a Guru.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3tpin7hd]I've already call Fred and told him to lose Larrys order if he places it! After all Larry said about our fake "Q" with the guru, he doesn't deserve one! #-o

Cut me some slack Nicky! I explained my view on a previous reply about the Guru. But if I were still only cooking on the WSM, I would not consider a Guru.[/quote:3tpin7hd]

As soon as I see a post from you, telling everyone how much you love your guru, I'll cut you all the slack you need! Now calm down, I'm just busting your nuts,........................... like you didn't expect it! #-o

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3vsr89p5][quote="Nick Prochilo":3vsr89p5]I've already call Fred and told him to lose Larrys order if he places it! After all Larry said about our fake "Q" with the guru, he doesn't deserve one! #-o

Cut me some slack Nicky! I explained my view on a previous reply about the Guru. But if I were still only cooking on the WSM, I would not consider a Guru.[/quote:3vsr89p5]

As soon as I see a post from you, telling everyone how much you love your guru, I'll cut you all the slack you need! Now calm down, I'm just busting your nuts,........................... like you didn't expect it! #-o[/quote:3vsr89p5]

I know you are! I'm busting your nads back!

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":rf6cw0rl][quote="Larry Wolfe":rf6cw0rl][quote="Nick Prochilo":rf6cw0rl]I've already call Fred and told him to lose Larrys order if he places it! After all Larry said about our fake "Q" with the guru, he doesn't deserve one! #-o

Cut me some slack Nicky! I explained my view on a previous reply about the Guru. But if I were still only cooking on the WSM, I would not consider a Guru.[/quote:rf6cw0rl]

As soon as I see a post from you, telling everyone how much you love your guru, I'll cut you all the slack you need! Now calm down, I'm just busting your nuts,........................... like you didn't expect it! #-o[/quote:rf6cw0rl]

I know you are! I'm busting your nads back![/quote:rf6cw0rl]

You mean your not getting a guru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom