BBQ GURU PODCAST...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't give up,whydo you say you are you defending the guru? Were having a good conversation here,hey if it does work with all wood,and i don't see how unless you dn't care how your meat tastes,i'll pay 10x what it costs.

BBQmmm
Preheated wood doesn't take as long to start burning so it spends less time making bad smoke and you don't get as big a spike in temps when it goes off for some reason.
Larry
It may work just don't understand why it would, it may be at hot enough temp that it burns off inpurities.

Jim

BBQmmm said:
Don't give up,whydo you say you are you defending the guru? Were having a good conversation here,hey if it does work with all wood,and i don't see how unless you dn't care how your meat tastes,i'll pay 10x what it costs.

I was in your shoes not long ago. Now I have a change of opinion and I feel like I'm on the other side again. I have no right saying anything about the Guru, cause I don't have one and have never used one. I was basically repeating statements I've heard before about the Guru. I'll wait to even think about getting a Guru for awhile now, untill I see or hear it works on an off set.

Larry Wolfe said:
BBQmmm said:

I was in your shoes not long ago. Now I have a change of opinion and I feel like I'm on the other side again. I have no right saying anything about the Guru, cause I don't have one and have never used one. I was basically repeating statements I've heard before about the Guru. I'll wait to even think about getting a Guru for awhile now, untill I see or hear it works on an off set.
You happy now, bbqmmm??? :)

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":xg4waky3]
BBQmmm said:

You happy now, bbqmmm??? :) Fucker![/quote:xg4waky3]

Why would i be happy?Like it matters to me if anyone buys or doesn't buy one,i'm just trying to figure out how it will turn a 6 hour charcoal burn into a 12 hour burn,and how it will work with all wood cooking!Now i see how it will help with a cooker that has it's temperature all over the place.Actually everyone can buy 6 of them,i don't work for the competition!
Larry cook on your new pit,learn it,then if you think it will work,buy it!
Oh and learn how to spell asshoe, joker. [-X

BBQmmm said:
Why would i be happy?Like it matters to me if anyone buys or doesn't buy one,i'm just trying to figure out how it will turn a 6 hour charcoal burn into a 12 hour burn,and how it will work with all wood cooking!Now i see how it will help with a cooker that has it's temperature all over the place.Actually everyone can buy 6 of them,i don't work for the competition!
Larry cook on your new pit,learn it,then if you think it will work,buy it!
Oh and learn how to spell asshoe, joker. [-X
You're a dickhead! :) :) :)

jminion said:
BBQmmm
Preheated wood doesn't take as long to start burning so it spends less time making bad smoke and you don't get as big a spike in temps when it goes off for some reason.

Jim

Yup 4.5 seconds before my stick explodes into flames and burns itself to charcoal in 20-25 minutes,then the next one takes its place. :bow:

Yeah i have nothing better to do than call people names in the blue room!

BBQmmm said:
Yeah i have nothing better to do than call people names in the blue room!
Goodnight and Goodbye!
2.gif

I find it hard to believe that the GURU can cause such a debate. This was me thanking Fred for coming on the show and it has spawned in to this? GREAT!! #-o :)

Greg Rempe said:
I find it hard to believe that the GURU can cause such a debate. This was me thanking Fred for coming on the show and it has spawned in to this? GREAT!! #-o :)

The thing is, the Podcast basically made me Pro Guru. Now I just don't know!!!

Greg Rempe said:
Oh no! This debate started long before the podcast. I ask, how many people that have actually used one don't like it??? :-k That answer speaks for it's self!! :(

I enjoyed reading the debate this morning. Joker, I can guarantee you 100% that BBQMMM is not from St. Louis but from Canada. We tried to get him to cross the border into Buffalo to join us at Oinktoberfest but personal committments didn't allow him to do so. I have to admit he knows a lot about BBQ but Larry is 100% correct. He will argue with a fencepost.

That being said, I have to agree with BBQMMM. I don't think that the Guru is designed to work with wood as the fuel except under the example that Joker provided to give the cook short breaks. Constant monitoring is necessary with wood. But I will say that it should and I believe will work with offsets using charcoal as the fuel source with some strategically placed wood chunks on top of the coals for flavor. And for the charcoal purists, lump could be their fuel of choice. I don't think anyone from Guru has claimed that it would turn a six hour burn into a 12 hour burn but who knows, I haven't tested it but I don't believe it would. The guru's main purpose is to keep constant temps which it does fantastically except that no matter how good this device is it can't replace fuel once the fuel is used up, so for those contemplating 12 hour unattended cooks (for those at work) the best combination is the WSM and the guru. The WSM is incredibly fuel efficient. I know what BBQMMM is trying to infer here but the fact that you can load up an offset with 10 times more food than a WSM doesn't make the WSM fuel inefficient. 99.9% of the time that I cook it's for my friends and family and the WSM will easily feed 12 people but it doesn't have the meat capacity an offset does so if you want to cook ribs, pork butt, a brisket and some chicken all at once, 1 WSM won't do it where an offset is ideal for this, but 2 WSM's will probably do it.

Full disclosure here: I love my Klose offset and grill and am looking forward to the Jedmaster's arrival but I would never for a moment think about getting rid of my WSM's or Weber kettles. This whole BBQ thing is kind of like golf. A golfer has a bag of clubs at his disposal and a BBQ fanatic will most likely over the course of a few short years build an arsenal of tools (i.e. toys) that he can use depending on his needs and circumstances on any given day.

In the end guys, it's all about the food you get to eat and the fun you have making it! :grin:

I use my Guru on every cook. It works great on a WSM. I think the argument that is going on here is just plain silly. If Fred Pirkle says that the Guru will work, on an offset with wood ,then IT WILL. As far as I can tell no one knows, yet.

The Guru is a great tool. I put a brisket on at 10:00 Fri. night. It poured all night with strong winds. The temp stayed at 225° +/- 1° until the brisket was done.

We should be discussing more important issues like foiling, or brining or what constitutes authentic barbecue. Adnauseum :)

Al

I used the Guru for the first time this weekend on a WSM at the Nelsonville competition. I fired the WSM up around 6 pm. The meat went on around 7.
I programmed the Guru to keep the pit at a temp at 215 and it did just that.
During the night as the coals started to burn down a little and the ash started to collect, the guru beeped letting me know that the fire had dipped below 215. A quick stirring of the coals quickly got the WSM back up to temp. As I said before the Guru is a great tool and does it's job well but it is not 100% perfect. It require human intervention at certain times. No matter how good it is, it can't control temps if the fire starts to choke itself out or you run out of fuel. But it can give you several hours of sleep and the draft system works incredibly well at keeping constant temps. I highly recommend it.

P.S. The fact that it costs more than a WSM should not deter anyone from using it. It just results in a new and improved $400 WSM, the WSM Guru!

Kloset BBQR said:
I used the Guru for the first time this weekend on a WSM at the Nelsonville competition. I fired the WSM up around 6 pm. The meat went on around 7.
I programmed the Guru to keep the pit at a temp at 215 and it did just that.
During the night as the coals started to burn down a little and the ash started to collect, the guru beeped letting me know that the fire had dipped below 215. A quick stirring of the coals quickly got the WSM back up to temp. As I said before the Guru is a great tool and does it's job well but it is not 100% perfect. It require human intervention at certain times. No matter how good it is, it can't control temps if the fire starts to choke itself out or you run out of fuel. But it can give you several hours of sleep and the draft system works incredibly well at keeping constant temps. I highly recommend it.

P.S. The fact that it costs more than a WSM should not deter anyone from using it. It just results in a new and improved $400 WSM, the WSM Guru!

Great posts Kloset. Me personally, I can't justify the cost of the Guru for the WSM. Plus I've never had a prolem with temps on the WSM to even worry about a Guru. Either or, Guru's sound like a great tool. Hopefully I'll hear back from Fred soon for his explanation about the wood and the offset situation.

Larry once you buy the Guru it can be used with other pits. They have adapter's for various pits. The WSM adapter is only $15 which is the best $15
you'll ever spend on a WSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom