BBQ GURU PODCAST...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry Wolfe said:
Man O' Man, I thought I was very pessimistic about the Guru! Geez! I knocked the Guru more than anybody, but after more research and listening to Freds podcast. I believe it will work and it will work well. Keep in mind, if you load the firebox up with logs you are only lighting a portion of the pile, not the entire load at once. The Guru will then light and burn what's necessary, when necessary. So a 12 hour burn could be an overly optimistic burn time, I just don't know until Fred replies to my e-mail. But if I could go 3-4-5 hours without adding a log or monitoring the pit, that would satisfy me.

One point I'd like to make and I'm saying this because I'm the guiltiest of all. If you have never tried a product and don't know anything about a product, (performance, effectiveness, burn time etc.) you shouldn't comment on it in a negative manner. (ie., "It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours"). How do you know?

Listen i burn wood in my offset,do you?I cooked with wood in the boyscouts,I know how wood burns,i tried many a time to extend my burn time,now i'm adding small sticks within every 1/2 hour,i know if i just load up with wood and burn for long periods,which i have, the food will be unedible.
Now if your looking for something to double the burn time it's just not going to happen.

BBQmmm said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Man O' Man, I thought I was very pessimistic about the Guru! Geez! I knocked the Guru more than anybody, but after more research and listening to Freds podcast. I believe it will work and it will work well. Keep in mind, if you load the firebox up with logs you are only lighting a portion of the pile, not the entire load at once. The Guru will then light and burn what's necessary, when necessary. So a 12 hour burn could be an overly optimistic burn time, I just don't know until Fred replies to my e-mail. But if I could go 3-4-5 hours without adding a log or monitoring the pit, that would satisfy me.

One point I'd like to make and I'm saying this because I'm the guiltiest of all. If you have never tried a product and don't know anything about a product, (performance, effectiveness, burn time etc.) you shouldn't comment on it in a negative manner. (ie., "It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours"). How do you know?

Listen i burn wood in my offset,do you?I cooked with wood in the boyscouts,I know how wood burns,i tried many a time to extend my burn time,now i'm adding small sticks within every 1/2 hour,i know if i just load up with wood and burn for long periods,which i have, the food will be unedible.
Now if your looking for something to double the burn time it's just not going to happen.

Yes, I burn wood. I understand what you are saying and what you are thinking about a load of wood, smoldering etc. But from what I understand how the Guru works, the wood will not just be smoldering, it will be burning, so the food will not be sooty. I'm not gonna go round and round about whether the guru will extend the burn time with wood or not, because I'm not positive myself either. But from what I understand, it will........

When you say it's not going to double the burn time, I just gotta ask the question. How do you know, if you haven't tried using a Guru? Not trying to start a debate or argument, but I've learned from my own experiences we all need to be more open minded about things we haven't tried.

Ok you burn wood,have you noticed how hot the firebox get's?
where oh where are you going to place the wood that's not burning in the firebox at the time?You know once it get's dry in that firebox it's going to explode into flames and your temperature will be up to 2000 + degrees in the firebox.
These fireboxes just ain't big enough period!
Now why would it double your time using charcoal?If your cooking at 225 say,how will you double the burn of charcoal with a Guru?cook at 112.5?

How about a little clarification here ~ Are we talking about using wood in general in an offset, or loading the firebox up with wood?

Well if were using a Guru, then we must be loading the firebox with wood and then supposedly walking away for hours.

BBQmmm said:
where oh where are you going to place the wood that's not burning in the firebox at the time?You know once it get's dry in that firebox it's going to explode into flames and your temperature will be up to 2000 + degrees in the firebox.These fireboxes just ain't big enough period!
Now why would it double your time using charcoal?If your cooking at 225 say,how will you double the burn of charcoal with a Guru?cook at 112.5?

BINGO! With the Guru the pit is basically sealed. The wood will NOT explode into flames as you stated without oxygen. The wood will only burn when the Guru forces air into the pit. Once the fan stops, the flames stop.

Please Guru users, let me know if I am misunderstanding something......

Wrong!!!!!!!! If your keeping a temperature of 230-270 in the main cooking chamber in an offset,what temperature do you think your firebox is at? I know after awhile the wood that is not burning will be burning just from the heat alone you have to keep your firebox at.

BBQmmm said:
Well if were using a Guru, then we must be loading the firebox with wood and then supposedly walking away for hours.
Well, not necessarily. I personally watched a guy use a Guru on his offset with a 25CFM blower while feeding it like you usually would ~ Every hour or so. He said he always had problems controlling his temps and the Guru greatly helped him out. His Guru is mounted right behind the top of the adirondack chair in this pic.

Img2005_10_01_00009.JPG

Hmmm every hour or so huh?Well then that sounds like every 45 minutes to me,that can be done with the right size stick,unless your always looking :grin: :grin: :grin:

Larry Wolfe said:
BBQmmm said:
where oh where are you going to place the wood that's not burning in the firebox at the time?You know once it get's dry in that firebox it's going to explode into flames and your temperature will be up to 2000 + degrees in the firebox.These fireboxes just ain't big enough period!

BINGO! With the Guru the pit is basically sealed. The wood will NOT explode into flames as you stated without oxygen. The wood will only burn when the Guru forces air into the pit. Once the fan stops, the flames stop.

Larry, I don't know if you can load it up and have the Guru control the temps without it trying to choke the fire creating creosote. You can with charcoal and lump because of how they fit together in the basket or fire ring in a WSM. With branches and split logs, I just don't know..

BBQmmm said:
Wrong!!!!!!!! If your keeping a temperature of 230-270 in the main cooking chamber in an offset,what temperature do you think your firebox is at? I know after awhile the wood that is not burning will be burning just from the heat alone you have to keep your firebox at.

Where do you think the thermometer is?? The thermometer at which the Guru is monitoring is in the cooking chamber. It doesn't matter if the firebox is 10,000 degrees, as long as the cooking chamber is at the proper temp!! It doesn't matter what I say Dude, you'd argue with a fence post! YOU WIN, I'M DONE!

BBQmmm said:
Hmmm every hour or so huh?Well then that sounds like every 45 minutes to me,that can be done with the right size stick,unless your always looking :grin: :grin: :grin:
No, every hour or so means about 90 minutes, not 45. You know, since you've never used a Guru and obviously never will, what qualifies you to know, without a doubt, that the Guru won't work on an offset?

The Joker said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":k7snldal]
BBQmmm said:

Larry, I don't know if you can load it up and have the Guru control the temps without it trying to choke the fire creating creosote. You can with charcoal and lump because of how they fit together in the basket or fire ring in a WSM. With branches and split logs, I just don't know..[/quote:k7snldal]

I dunno for sure either, but what about the folks that say they use the Gurus with wood in their offsets? Are they stretching the truth?

Listen it sounds like it will work,i know it sounds promising,if i knew it would work,i'd be the first in line.I cook with every wood there is,from start to finish,i know how hot these fireboxes get while cooking at 220-240 degrees in the main chamber of a big offset,where is the wood that is waiting to catch fire from one piece to another to continue your 6-12 hour all wood cook hiding from the enormous heat of the firebox?Charcoal sure,and only if your pit is not airtight.

Larry Wolfe said:
Where do you think the thermometer is?? The thermometer at which the Guru is monitoring is in the cooking chamber. It doesn't matter if the firebox is 10,000 degrees, as long as the cooking chamber is at the proper temp!! It doesn't matter what I say Dude, you'd argue with a fence post! YOU WIN, I'M DONE!

Why so rude?
If your firebox temperature is 10,000 degrees in an offset,what is protecting the wood that is not burning at the time?

Larry Wolfe said:
I dunno for sure either, but what about the folks that say they use the Gurus with wood in their offsets? Are they stretching the truth?
No. Like I said, I saw a guy using wood but he was feeding it like he normally would if he wasn't using the Guru. The Guru just helped him regulate the temp. Adrian uses wood in his too and there are many pics on different boards as well as on thebbqfurum.com that show the Guru in use on an offset. I just don't know if you can load it up and use the Guru.

Larry
When burning raw wood having it smolder during the burn is normally when bad smoke is made. Using charcoal most of the materials we don't want on the meat have already burned off.
I never seen a Guru on an offset burnng just wood, if it works I would like to understand the physics of it.
Jim

Well that's what were trying to figure out,if in my dreams i could load up with wood and have a claean all wood 6-12 hour cook,i'd be going to bed now! :grin:

jminion said:
Larry
When burning raw wood having it smolder during the burn is normally when bad smoke is made. Using charcoal most of the materials we don't want on the meat have already burned off.
I never seen a Guru on an offset burnng just wood, if it works I would like to understand the physics of it.
Jim

I know i get rid of a lot of bad smoke and hmmm maybe creosote when i preburn the wood on top of the firebox.Plausible?In the words of Bigwheel am i hot or cold?

jminion said:
Larry
Jim

Jim,
I know smoldering wood is bad, but from what I understood is the wood wasn't smoldering. I was going by what I've heard people that use offsets and the Guru say. Guess that's what I get for defending the Guru, something I know nothing about. I give up, one says it will work with all wood, another says it won't. What gives???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom