BBQ GURU PODCAST...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Prochilo said:
As soon as I see a post from you, telling everyone how much you love your guru, I'll cut you all the slack you need!
Not me!!! :horse: :horse: :horse: :razz:

TexLaw said:
Larry, I don't know that you need a Guru on a pit to do overnight cooks. Just buy or make yourself a well-designed charcoal basket, learn how to use it (i.e., set your vents), and go with that. You can get a good five or six or more hours out of one of those, depending on how you go about it. You may not have a nice, eight hour nap, but you will do fine.

I don't know how you would use a guru on a wood fire unless you just started of with great, big pile of embers. Even with that, it seems like you would have a hard time stretching more than four or five hours out of it. I really don't see how you could use it with sticks, as I just don't see how you could get a clean fire.

However, if Adrian has something up and running well, I would very much like to hear about it.

TL

TL,
I did get a charcoal basket made, "just in case". But I'd really like to cook with all wood if I can, and from what I hear you can cook a long time with a Guru, with wood on the offsets. I've sent Shotgun Fred an e-mail with alot of questions about what I want to do. If it's feasible, I may get the Guru. Otherwise, I'll work with the charcoal basket. Either way, I'll keep everyone informed as to what's the best route to go.

I did use the charcoal basket during LuLu's initial burn using the Minion method and I got a burn of around 5+ hours, but I'd like a longer unattended burn if possible. We'll see.........

Well i don't see how you can go with all wood for 5 hours without adding and tending,now if you had a smoke house,or a hellova big firebox then maybe you could figure something out,me, i go all wood for as long as i can,say 8 hours and then load up the basket with lump and go to sleep
while the brisket/butt cooks.Everything else is constant tending,which really is the best way.

With my charcoal basket i don't care if it's 38 degrees outside or -20,
it's all the same holding temperature,just loose an hour in the wintertime.
When you get an offset, spend your money on an offset,not an addition.
Tradition :grin: get someone to teach you cooking with all wood sticks,not the throwin big log method,you won't be walking away using charcoal anymore. =D>

BBQmmm said:
Well i don't see how you can go with all wood for 5 hours without adding and tending,now if you had a smoke house,or a hellova big firebox then maybe you could figure something out,me, i go all wood for as long as i can,say 8 hours and then load up the basket with lump and go to sleep
while the brisket/butt cooks.Everything else is constant tending,which really is the best way.

Well I don't know how either, that is why I'm asking the people at BBQ Guru. But from what I hear, it is indeed possible. We'll see.......

Bob T said:
I'm looking to the day I can get a stick burner, but until then....
Even when I do get one, from what I have read, it would still be hard to load it up, and go to work for 12 hours with no worries. Am I reading that right or not? [-o<
It would in reality have to be able to burn for 13 hours for me. I can't wait to get one though.

It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours! You must remember a WSM
has 30 pounds o metal in it's construction,also let's just say it can handle 2- 20 pound turkey's,now any decent backyard offset worth buying will weigh a minimum of 25x the weight of a WSM and cook 6x the meat,now i know some will chime in that they get 6 turkeys on their WSM 's,, don't wanna hear it :grin: Now if your getting a 6 hour burn in an offset with say 8-10 pounds of lump,that really means an WSM is
highly inneficient :eek: Now burning all wood for 12 hours in an offset is definitely not going to happen,even if anyone could figure out a way,you still have to eat the meat at the end of the cook.Yup when i'm adding wood to my firebox, i think of these things :grin:

BBQmmm said:
Now if your getting a 6 hour burn in an offset with say 8-10 pounds of lump,that really means an WSM is
highly inneficient :eek:
Huh?? :-k

How much meat can you get on an WSM? compared to a 20X48" offset?
Now i'm talking a properly made offset!Don't get me started on BGE efficiency!!!!!!!!!

I'm going where this should have went a long time ago!! Yeah some are getting 3x the cooking time in some of these tiny cookers like a BGE,big deal!!!!!!!Look at the real estate and figure it out.

Your IP addy says you're in Canada but I would swear you're from St. Louis!! :eek: Have a nice day! :(

See what happens when you get the charcoal basket out,i have nothing to do,and as long as i'm not from ohio i'm ok :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

BBQmmm said:
Bob T said:
I'm looking to the day I can get a stick burner, but until then....
Even when I do get one, from what I have read, it would still be hard to load it up, and go to work for 12 hours with no worries. Am I reading that right or not? [-o<
It would in reality have to be able to burn for 13 hours for me. I can't wait to get one though.

It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours!

Man O' Man, I thought I was very pessimistic about the Guru! Geez! I knocked the Guru more than anybody, but after more research and listening to Freds podcast. I believe it will work and it will work well. Keep in mind, if you load the firebox up with logs you are only lighting a portion of the pile, not the entire load at once. The Guru will then light and burn what's necessary, when necessary. So a 12 hour burn could be an overly optimistic burn time, I just don't know until Fred replies to my e-mail. But if I could go 3-4-5 hours without adding a log or monitoring the pit, that would satisfy me.

One point I'd like to make and I'm saying this because I'm the guiltiest of all. If you have never tried a product and don't know anything about a product, (performance, effectiveness, burn time etc.) you shouldn't comment on it in a negative manner. (ie., "It's just not going to happpen for 12 hours"). How do you know?

The statement above is not valid about the Fab products!! :taunt: That for you Jim! LOL Just kidding you buddy!

I hate asking dumb ass questions, although I realize you've all come to expect it. Will this Guru dealeo work with a Stumps smoker or does the gravity feed feature negate that? OR, will it make it even better potentially?

No soy muy elegante. Perdóneme por favor

Hmmmm...Good question. Not knowing how the gravity feed works other than what the name implies, I'd have to say I don't know ~ It might. Maybe them Stump boys or someone that knows more about how the GF works will chime in here.

Larry Wolfe said:
Yeah, no biggie though I'm used to eating it!! LOL!!

I know what you mean Larry. I've found that over the years I'm starting to develope a taste for crow. I find it goes best with distilled spirits.

Griff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom