Back Woods Smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Just about all my old comp pals are going to the BWS's. They have nothing but good things to say about em. Dont think you could go wrong by getting one. The Fatboy model would be a great choice.

bigwheel

BFD...I have heard good things about BWS...Jim Minion speaks well of them.

I would also look at
http://www.spicewineironworks.com before making any final decisions. Jay makes a hell of a product too...One day I hope to get their s/a trailer for some catering.

I wouldn't steer you in the Stumps direction right now given their sell to Viking. I saw their website and quite honestly it scares me....a GF-223 in a pasture just doesn't do it for me...plus the photoshop job was done poorly!! :shock: :LOL:

The cb (charcoal basket) Stumps are comparable to backwoods but the GF (gravity fed models are not). The GF models are an offset and do not use water.

Either way you won't go wrong with a Backwoods, Stumps, or Spicewine.
My Scarlet and Gray Stumps GF 223 is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. :D

Kloset will have a Stumps on Thursday and OSD has a Spicewine that he likes. If you have a trailer, I'll bet 2 shiny nickels that Jay will mount a backyard unit on there for ya! ;)

But again, BWS has good reviews as well...remember, do your due diligence and you'll be happy!!

I've cooked on a Stumps, and a Back yard, and , very shortly , will be smoking on a Spicewine, as I'm doing some work on a BBQ Comp trailer for a guy who owns the smaller version, and the larger Comp version.. cant go wrong with either of the 3 manufactuers.

It's my understanding that Stump will have complete control over design, and overall process of the Stumps, even with the sale to Viking... the website is being redone, the reason for the meadow pictures... does look kind of awkward, to say the least :shock:

If you are trying to get a hold of Jay, at Spicewine, he might not get right back to you right away ...... He had a situation over the holidays that will keep him away for a bit..

I'm sure that the marketing is driven by Viking. I noticed also that Stumps is not offering as many models as before although I'm sure he will build anything on a custom order. The Viking influence is already being seen in some of the stainless steel models offered. Reminds me a little of what you are seeing with their colaboration with Primo. Stainless steel on the outside, Primo on the inside, major increase for the cost of the bling!

One of the benefits of working with Viking though will be increased capital for Stumps and a much quicker turn around time which has been running about 8 weeks.

I am in the process of choosing a smoker that we will use for comps, and catering. We have gone back and forth with what we want to get and had Stumps as the leader but since the Viking thing, we just arent sure. We want to be able to sleep at comps and with our current pull behind, that isnt really possible.

Is there a forum that talks about Spicewine smokers? I found the one for BWS and have read enough about the Stumps. This is a big purchase for us and we are researching everything we can. Money is an issue.

Jay is a member of the BBQ Brethren and there are a lot of Spicewine owners over there. I'm sure you could find out a lot by doing a search on Spicewine Smokers and asking questions to the owners.

Greg, sorry about sending someone to another forum. Just trying to help Dale out. I know Dale will be back! :D

Back
Top Bottom