Anyone doin Turkies for Turkey Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Anyone doin Turkies for Turkey Day?

Can I ask what you charge for what sized bird? Im thinkin' 12lb. bird for $55 to $65... Delivered.

I havent run any numbers just curiouse to see who else does it and what for $$ wise....thanks.....

Larry Wolfe said:
Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

Thanks Larry! Those prices sound pretty fair to me. Id add a little more $$ on a couple a products. thanks! db

Also, Do people really know what a "Fatty" is? Ive never heard of it till I came here. thanks.

Well see none of that high priced non sense work around these parts. If some lazy boy who can't cook his own Free turkey from Kroger just drop it off at a bbq joint which for instance I know of one who will smoke it for .50 a pound if you bring it and pick it up. That equals 10 bucks for a smoked turkey I think. Math aint my strong point. Now I dont mess with fried turkeys. I don't even like turkey less it been direct cooked by a drunk bohunk in S. Texas who knows how to shovel mesquite coals.

bigwheel

dollarbill said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

Thanks Larry! Those prices sound pretty fair to me. Id add a little more $$ on a couple a products. thanks! db

Also, Do people really know what a "Fatty" is? Ive never heard of it till I came here. thanks.

People that buy my BBQ have had a sample of everything I cook, before they buy. That way they know what they're getting before they buy it. I'm very curious, what would you charge more for? I can't imagine charging more than what I am and still be fair. There are places around here that sell shit BBQ and charge a premium and people are lined up, so people will buy anything until they can find better BBQ.

Larry Wolfe said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2cwfe0va]Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

People that buy my BBQ have had a sample of everything I cook, before they buy. That way they know what they're getting before they buy it. I'm very curious, what would you charge more for? I can't imagine charging more than what I am and still be fair. There are places around here that sell shit BBQ and charge a premium and people are lined up, so people will buy anything until they can find better BBQ.[/quote:2cwfe0va]

Definately $5- on the BB like Pigs said on another thread. Also, when I think Fatty, I always think "stuffed" cause thats what I always see pics of here. I thought $12 to $15 stuffed w/somthin. $15 bein on the high side. Might could even go a little higher on the sliced Brisket too. Im guessing I live in a more populated area than you do. Dont forget the shit bbq places probably have to pay rent, advertising, employees, etc... The only overhead I have to pay for (so far) is my commessary and thats fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.

dollarbill said:
Larry Wolfe said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1gybh014]Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

People that buy my BBQ have had a sample of everything I cook, before they buy. That way they know what they're getting before they buy it. I'm very curious, what would you charge more for? I can't imagine charging more than what I am and still be fair. There are places around here that sell shit BBQ and charge a premium and people are lined up, so people will buy anything until they can find better BBQ.

Definately $5- on the BB like Pigs said on another thread. Also, when I think Fatty, I always think "stuffed" cause thats what I always see pics of here. I thought $12 to $15 stuffed w/somthin. $15 bein on the high side. Might could even go a little higher on the sliced Brisket too. Im guessing I live in a more populated area than you do. Dont forget the shit bbq places probably have to pay rent, advertising, employees, etc... The only overhead I have to pay for (so far) is my commessary and thats fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.[/quote:1gybh014]

So with no overhead, you could sleep at night charging someone $25 for a rack of ribs? Or $12-$15 for smoked bulk sausage? I feel bad asking for $10...... BTW, before you begin selling BBQ, you need to contact your Health Dept, become an LLC and get Insurance, then you can have some overhead to speak of and can charge outrageous prices.

Also, before you go selling stuffed fatties, you need to think about how you're delivering them and how people are reheating them as well. For instance, a fatty stuffed, cooked, frozen, then reheated, doesn't sound good......even if you didn't freeze it, reheating doesn't sound appealing to me.

I don't care how much overhead a BBQ place has to pay, that doesn't give them the right to serve shit on a bun and charge an outrageous price for it.

Yeah, Northern Virginia is very scarcely populated as well, that must be why you could charge more. Not many people around here at all.

Well I forget right now who we are arguing with arahaa arahaa.."Tell me who we are against?" I had a dumb drunk axe me that in a beer joint one dark night when some peckerwood cedar hackers from around Austin been giving us some obscene gestures etc. Juke joints is the Devil's version of church ya know? Like a 13 year old hooker being trained by ACORN Hooker's is the Devil's version of Marriage perhaps. Thanks. This morass of evil cannot last forever.

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":189in1da]
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":189in1da]Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

Definately $5- on the BB like Pigs said on another thread. Also, when I think Fatty, I always think "stuffed" cause thats what I always see pics of here. I thought $12 to $15 stuffed w/somthin. $15 bein on the high side. Might could even go a little higher on the sliced Brisket too. Im guessing I live in a more populated area than you do. Dont forget the shit bbq places probably have to pay rent, advertising, employees, etc... The only overhead I have to pay for (so far) is my commessary and thats fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.[/quote:189in1da]

So with no overhead, you could sleep at night charging someone $25 for a rack of ribs? Or $12-$15 for smoked bulk sausage? I feel bad asking for $10...... BTW, before you begin selling BBQ, you need to contact your Health Dept, become an LLC and get Insurance, then you can have some overhead to speak of and can charge outrageous prices.
Also, before you go selling stuffed fatties, you need to think about how you're delivering them and how people are reheating them as well. For instance, a fatty stuffed, cooked, frozen, then reheated, doesn't sound good......even if you didn't freeze it, reheating doesn't sound appealing to me.

I don't care how much overhead a BBQ place has to pay, that doesn't give them the right to serve shit on a bun and charge an outrageous price for it. [/quote:189in1da]

I agree with the overhead statement here however, if those guys didnt charge those prices they'de probly go under and if the people didnt think it was worth it, they wouldnt buy the food hence the same outcome. But if the customer is willing to pay for the food they think tastes good they'll stay in business....Look at McDonalds, thats gotta be the crappiest burger in the world and they're still up and runnin.

I agree with you on the reheated fatty too. I thought the same thing and am going to try it.

As for the LLC and insurance. I got it.

Sounds like I got you all fired up Larry. :?: :shock:

dollarbill said:
Larry Wolfe said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2hkgyrwv]
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2hkgyrwv]Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

Definately $5- on the BB like Pigs said on another thread. Also, when I think Fatty, I always think "stuffed" cause thats what I always see pics of here. I thought $12 to $15 stuffed w/somthin. $15 bein on the high side. Might could even go a little higher on the sliced Brisket too. Im guessing I live in a more populated area than you do. Dont forget the shit bbq places probably have to pay rent, advertising, employees, etc... The only overhead I have to pay for (so far) is my commessary and thats fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.

I don't care how much overhead a BBQ place has to pay, that doesn't give them the right to serve shit on a bun and charge an outrageous price for it. [/quote:2hkgyrwv]

I agree with the overhead statement here however, if those guys didnt charge those prices they'de probly go under and if the people didnt think it was worth it, they wouldnt buy the food hence the same outcome. But if the customer is willing to pay for the food they think tastes good they'll stay in business....Look at McDonalds, thats gotta be the crappiest burger in the world and they're still up and runnin.

I agree with you on the reheated fatty too. I thought the same thing and am going to try it.

Sounds like I got you all fired up Larry. :?: :shock:[/quote:2hkgyrwv]

People buy it because they don't know any better......the General Public wants over sauced sweet BBQ and wants it to be bland and falling off the bone. For instance, my work just had a picnic and had it catered by a place called Dixie Bones out of Woodbridge Virginia. This place is the rave.........well the chicken honestly was bone dry, extremely oversmoked and the pork tasted like smoked NOTHING. The buns they served them on were stale as could be, their BBQ Beans tasted like Franco American Beanie Weinies and they didn't serve any cole slaw!!!!!!! Who the PHUCK serves BBQ without slaw.......with all that said the people at work were getting seconds......PEOPLE PAY OUTRAGEOUS PRICES BECAUSE THEY SEE A BIG LINE OUT FRONT AND THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER!!!!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3sgnv58h]
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3sgnv58h]
dollarbill said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3sgnv58h]Here's my Holiday Pricing Menu from last year. I haven't gotten around to updating prices, but will need to soon.

I don't care how much overhead a BBQ place has to pay, that doesn't give them the right to serve shit on a bun and charge an outrageous price for it. [/quote:3sgnv58h]

Sounds like I got you all fired up Larry. :?: :shock:[/quote:3sgnv58h]

People buy it because they don't know any better......the General Public wants over sauced sweet BBQ and wants it to be bland and falling off the bone. For instance, my work just had a picnic and had it catered by a place called Dixie Bones out of Woodbridge Virginia. This place is the rave.........well the chicken honestly was bone dry, extremely oversmoked and the pork tasted like smoked NOTHING. The buns they served them on were stale as could be, their BBQ Beans tasted like Franco American Beanie Weinies and they didn't serve any cole slaw!!!!!!! Who the PHUCK serves BBQ without slaw.......with all that said the people at work were getting seconds......PEOPLE PAY OUTRAGEOUS PRICES BECAUSE THEY SEE A BIG LINE OUT FRONT AND THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER!!!!!![/quote:3sgnv58h]

I couldnt agree with you more.

Thats not just in the bbq joints either. Any line out any door makes people think "damn there must be somthin good over there, look at all the people"
And dont forget smell... People smell somthin good and they'll pay for it especially if they are hungry.....Look at the hot dog cart lady outside of HD. I get nailed by that all the time. I KNOW its NOT a fantastic hot dawg but I (sucker) fall for it almost everytime. :LOL:

Lots going on in this thread fer sur. Forgot what the question was by the time I finished reading..... :LOL:
But,
No, I haven't offered Holiday Turkeys, but might just do it after all this. Curiosity, what temp do ya'll smoke 'em?
dj

DJ said:
Lots going on in this thread fer sur. Forgot what the question was by the time I finished reading..... :LOL:
But,
No, I haven't offered Holiday Turkeys, but might just do it after all this. Curiosity, what temp do ya'll smoke 'em?
dj

I do mine in the 245º-260º range and pull when the breast reads 160º and the thighs hit at least 170º.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom